Page 29 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 29

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck416 View Post
    Welcome! Yes tomorrow is a refeed day, eat lots of Paleo carbs, some lean protein and keep the fat to a minimum. Then its back to steak and eggs on Monday. Try to keep it primarily steak and eggs, however you can substitute ground beef, liver or heart if you get bored or you find the steak to be too expensive. Don't forget to use lots of butter! Its actually better to skip breakfast and eat a Lunch/Dinner combination - that way you get in an IF ratio of around 18 hours fast/6 hours eating window. An important part of this month trial is training, we are asking people to really push their boundaries. I suggest doing weight training and a couple of days of sprints. The idea is to build some muscle and drive up your metabolism. Looking forward to hearing about your results!
    Thanks for the inspiration and also for the explanation, canuck. Day 1 was good. I ended up eating 5 eggs and a steak for lunch, and 5 eggs and 3 beef patties for dinner. Tomorrow's food shopping day so I kind of just went with what I had around. I bought weights to use at home so I'm setting them up now. Just some plates and a bar, for deadlifts and glute bridges and ohs at home. I really don't like doing glute bridges at the gym. Ahem.

I lift heavy every other day at the gym but want to fill in with a few extras at home. I also want to do a chin up and hope to be able to by the end of this month! That will make it a huge success for me regardless of what else happens. I will start doing sprints tomorrow.

Z0oom is offline Member
    Just bought a bunch more steaks and eggs today. Also got a big dumbbell set which will help me out a bunch. I am getting more and more muscle definition as this continues.....I feel like I could go another week without carbs easy, but I am gonna refeed tomorrow low fat and keep this as accurate as I can.

6 eggs in coconut oil, plus a a few ounces of ground beef for breakfast
    lots of water throughout the day
    And just over a lb of ribeye, with 3 duck eggs in bacon fat for dinner. Wow are those yolks spectacular. Dark, flavorful, and HUGE.

Got some cow tongue defrosting for tomorrow, I think that should be lean enough for my refeed day since it spent so much time munching grasses with that muscle. Other than that, I plan on lots of bananas, squash, sweet potato. A tad of some new maple syrup I got too!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Can I ask why steak? Is there something special about beef? Why not just "meat" and eggs and then have chicken sometimes, pork chops now and then, salmon, lamb or whatever?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Can I ask why steak? Is there something special about beef? Why not just "meat" and eggs and then have chicken sometimes, pork chops now and then, salmon, lamb or whatever?
    Nothing except its called a steak and eggs diet, we are just following the old school body building definition program to see where it leads. Here's a link that you may find interesting - The Old School ‘Steak and Eggs’ Diet for Fat Loss, Balanced Energy, and Increased Testosterone

Feel free to eat whatever meat you'd like. I understand cost may be an issue for some. I am sticking primarily with steak, but substituting hamburger, liver and bison every once in awhile.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I like it for the fat, protein and nutrient content. Plus, in the past when I've tried to eat over 160g of protein per day I've struggled getting enough with supplementing with whey powder. This seems to do it effortlessly.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Kastro is offline Junior Member
    I like the simplicity of this, so I've been giving it a go since early last week. So far I've seen some pretty great results, and I'm feeling good and not depleted.. However, I've had two side effects: I seem to be constantly thirsty, and have chapped lips. I'm drinking water constantly too - so I don't think it's that.
    Normally if I'm dehydrated I blame too much salt, but is there a chance this is being cause by too little salt? On the Call to Action blog he specifically says to salt everything a lot, which I do... but could they be related? I'm not sure how long I can keep it up if the thirst doesn't go away. Anyone else experiencing anything like it?

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    I like the simplicity of this, so I've been giving it a go since early last week. So far I've seen some pretty great results, and I'm feeling good and not depleted.. However, I've had two side effects: I seem to be constantly thirsty, and have chapped lips. I'm drinking water constantly too - so I don't think it's that.
    Normally if I'm dehydrated I blame too much salt, but is there a chance this is being cause by too little salt? On the Call to Action blog he specifically says to salt everything a lot, which I do... but could they be related? I'm not sure how long I can keep it up if the thirst doesn't go away. Anyone else experiencing anything like it?
    Yes I experienced this as well but upped the Himalayan salt quite a bit and started to drink a lot of green tea. For whatever reason this seems to have helped considerably.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    I've increased the amount if water I'm drinking, as when I'm eating lots of veggies, greens, fruit and stews I get lots of fluid anyway.

I also often add a spoon or two of sole to a few glasses of water a day, especially the first glass I drink. I find that helps too.

http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.com/sole-recipe.html
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    So is this a good way to lose fat or just to build muscle? Steak is too expensive so I'll have to make do with mince and cheaper cuts!

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    Canuck416:

Really enjoying your discussion here and glad you like the article I sent you on "steak/eggs." I did this diet when I was in my 20's. So I disagree with that comment that only "talented" people with good bodies ate this way.

I used to train at World gym in the 80's. It was very common back then to train and go to "Zucky's Diner" and order steak/eggs. Every once in while, Vince Gironda would pop in. What a character that guy was. A head of his time. Hated carbs and would always talk about eating liver and cream. If you are a Zane fan, he looked his best about two month before a contest. He doesn't look it when he's on stage, but man, was he huge before he started to diet down! Very impressive.

If you are interested in old time bodybuilding history check out "Smoke and mirrors" by Randy Roach or listen to some of his podcast. Lots of info how those guys used to eat. Rick Drasin has very cool show on the old timers as well on youtube. I'll try to find the one where he talks about steak/eggs.

Also, I wrote my transformation story in this Friday's edition of MDA. It's called "Free at 50". I think you might like it. I figure us older guys got to stick together!

Looking forward to see you progress on this diet!
    Last edited by jackson44; 05-05-2013 at 04:59 AM.

Page 29 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast