Page 20 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 20

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've done this in the past unintentionally. I'll go a few weeks heavy veggies or salads and others almost none, just meat and eggs.

Might actually give it a concerted effort as I've got a beach holiday in 4 weeks! Luckily I have a slab of steak ready and waiting in the fridge, as I had some with Brussels sprouts and mushrooms tonight. Breakfast is usually 5 or 6 eggs and maybe some veggies anyway, and more steak is always welcome on my plate :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Owen is offline Senior Member
    5 months in, at least 95% primal, I'm becoming interested by this idea of having different periods where I concentrate on different food groups, such as this one for protein, or possibly others where I eat mainly fresh veg and fruit. I may do a seperate post about this but thanks for the ideas that have come out of this post. If I can ask one thing though - is there a specific reason why avoiding fresh veg for a period would further help with fat loss? Fruit and starches I understand, but I always have a big salad with my steaks, partly because they go together so well!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Owen, it is my impression that when you give up a whole food group that was a staple or so for a long time, your body (metabolism) will "perceive" it as a change in your environment (quasi-sudden absence of this food) and trigger mitigation mechanism, which in all likelihood will be "fat burning" due to the "hard days ahead" (fat is stored for bad days when food is scarce). So it will probably work for a while until your body adapts to the new norm (homeostasis). Then it's time to change again if you still want to shed some more body fat. Basically, put the body into a state where it "believes" you will have to rely on your fat store for working around the perceived "food scarcity" .

Note that if suddenly, you load yourself with junk food, it will not exactly work ...
    I also think that is why VLC diets work so great, until your body reaches homeostasis (with or without body fat store still to be shed for aesthetic reasons that have nothing to do with your core health).
    Last edited by dkJames; 05-02-2013 at 04:16 AM.

Kastro is offline Junior Member
    Just a quick tip for all you big steak eaters: Don't overlook the whole cuts that Costco sells - whole Sirloin, Ribeye, Tenderloin etc. It ends up being significantly cheaper if you're willing to cut it yourself. I picked up a whole Sirloin there (10lbs) for about $3.50/pound instead of the $5/pound they charge for a cut. Plus you get to work on your butchering skills. Though not grassfed, I find Costco meats to generally be a higher quality than my local grocery store too.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kastro View Post
    Just a quick tip for all you big steak eaters: Don't overlook the whole cuts that Costco sells - whole Sirloin, Ribeye, Tenderloin etc. It ends up being significantly cheaper if you're willing to cut it yourself. I picked up a whole Sirloin there (10lbs) for about $3.50/pound instead of the $5/pound they charge for a cut. Plus you get to work on your butchering skills. Though not grassfed, I find Costco meats to generally be a higher quality than my local grocery store too.
    I picked up a 14 pound slab of ribeye at Sam's Club and saved $1 a pound over pre-sliced.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Not quite doing the full-on steak and eggs ( only) diet, but I'm actually putting on some muscle!
    Probably partly due to upping the protein, 16/8 fast/feed, getting serious about weights, walking a bit and reading this thread.
    I think I may have put on a tiny bit of fat too with the extra food - but next to nothing.
    Great 'pump' feeling during/after gym. Probably the strongest I've ever been.
    I'm looking for a sustained way to eat and get/maintain to say 10% bf ( probably 12% now so I cant really complain - any way perhaps slightly less fat consumption for me ( but I don't really know but its got to be something I'm comfortable with over the long term).
    In any case I'm not complaining about my current condition.

Interesting thread

Sent from my A501 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app - good app
    Last edited by EatMoveSleep; 05-02-2013 at 05:11 AM.

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    Just got done with my deadlift workout, which went as follows:

Deadlift:
    117.5kg x 5
    132.5kg x 3
    147.5kg x 4 (goal was 1 or more)

Safety Bar Squat:
    67.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5

Hanging leg raises:
    10, 10, 6, 6, 6

Glute Ham Raise:
    8, 7, 6, 6, 5

Had a protein shake afterwards (I use a netral one with no flavourings), and then cooked up 750g of minced beef, and 10 eggs in butter and the beef fat that had drained off. Ate half now and packed the other half for dinner at work.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I ended up not having ice cream, we just had tea instead!
    So diet is still intact!

Sounds bad about the ankle, taking it easy with running sounds like a plan.
    I'm not doing the steak and eggs thing - too many eggs at once sometimes make me nauseous. Anyway, I have found that green tea with jasmine is a really good way to help with sweet cravings, I usually buy Twinings. I guess it's the flavor of the jasmine, makes it a feel like a real treat.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    I've done this in the past unintentionally. I'll go a few weeks heavy veggies or salads and others almost none, just meat and eggs.

Might actually give it a concerted effort as I've got a beach holiday in 4 weeks! Luckily I have a slab of steak ready and waiting in the fridge, as I had some with Brussels sprouts and mushrooms tonight. Breakfast is usually 5 or 6 eggs and maybe some veggies anyway, and more steak is always welcome on my plate :-)
    Welcome Misabi! Checked out your links they were great, very impressive before and after photos. Looking forward to your input.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    5 months in, at least 95% primal, I'm becoming interested by this idea of having different periods where I concentrate on different food groups, such as this one for protein, or possibly others where I eat mainly fresh veg and fruit. I may do a seperate post about this but thanks for the ideas that have come out of this post. If I can ask one thing though - is there a specific reason why avoiding fresh veg for a period would further help with fat loss? Fruit and starches I understand, but I always have a big salad with my steaks, partly because they go together so well!
    Good question Owen, I'm not sure what their thinking was other than to get as low in carbs as possible.. I am trying to simulate the 70s era body building style of leaning out as promoted by Vince Gironda to see how it works and how a VLC diet impacts my training. Once I get through the 4 weeks I will definitely get back to eating vegetables and fruits. Definitely miss them!

I was just reading that sometimes right before a contest they would eat just tuna and water for 3 days. Wow, low fat and low carb. Now that would be hard to do!

Page 20 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast