Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets get serious about body fat - 4 weeks Steak and eggs page 10

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    Lol.

And shouldnt this be the steak, eggs and steroids diet?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Lol.

And shouldnt this be the steak, eggs and steroids diet?
    Nah, this was pioneered by Rocky Balboa and is what took him from street thug to Heavy Weight Champion of the World! Know your history.

But seriously its like canuck said this is straight out of the 70's archives to getting strong and lean.

People in bodybuilding today looking to get to 3% body fat may be doing some funky shit like Choco was talking about, but that low of bodyfat is not sustainable for more than a day anyhow.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-26-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Z0oom is offline Member
    Keep the fat non existent if you can. High carb + fat = instant fat gain.
    Ah thanks for the tip. Thats right, if I recall we burn our sugar off first....then the fat!

Zach is offline Banned
    Nah, this was pioneered by Rocky Balboa and is what took him from street thug to Heavy Weight Champion of the World! Know your history.

But seriously its like canuck said this is straight out of the 70's archives to getting strong and lean.

People in bodybuilding today looking to get to 3% body fat may be doing some funky shit like Choco was talking about, but that low of bodyfat is not sustainable for more than a day anyhow.
    Right cause Rocky was all natural, fighting juice up freakazoids.

I agree it can work, Scott Abel keep many clients in a pretty lean state this way. Just that much protein might be counterproductive, remember when doing steroids, macros come into play much more then for natural lifters.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z0oom View Post
    About the carb refeed day, what about fat content and all that. Should I smother my sweet potatoes in coconut oil or try to keep fat lower just on Sundays?
    You should keep fat as low as possible. The idea of a refeed is to eat a caloric surplus to refill your glycogen stores, boost circulating leptin and make you strong for the next week of workouts while boosting fat loss by said elevated leptin levels and a boosted thyroid. Any fat you eat along with the caloric surplus will be stored. You want as close to 0g of fat as possible. Skim milk, 0% yogurt, white rice, baked white potatoes, sweet fruits, very lean trimmed chicken breast, whitefish,egg whites with no yolks...these are perfect things for a refeed.

For the record, if you keep fats <35g or so you should be fine. Lower is better, but the added stress over 5-10g probably isn't worth it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member

I was only around 9-10%. That was too low. Too many food cravings. My stability point seems to be about 12%, so I roll with it these days. Right now my winter coat has me around 13-14% but I'll drop to 11-12% for the summer pretty soon.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You should keep fat as low as possible. The idea of a refeed is to eat a caloric surplus to refill your glycogen stores, boost circulating leptin and make you strong for the next week of workouts while boosting fat loss by said elevated leptin levels and a boosted thyroid. Any fat you eat along with the caloric surplus will be stored. You want as close to 0g of fat as possible. Skim milk, 0% yogurt, white rice, baked white potatoes, sweet fruits, very lean trimmed chicken breast, whitefish,egg whites with no yolks...these are perfect things for a refeed.

For the record, if you keep fats <35g or so you should be fine. Lower is better, but the added stress over 5-10g probably isn't worth it.
    Absolutely agree with CocoTaco on his refeed recommendations. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    April results are in and I'm pumped up. "Steak and eggs" just started this week, so whatever impact that will have, will be reflected next month.

"InBody" Composition Analysis:
    Dec - 190lb, 30% bodyfat, .94 hip/waist ratio (Mid-Dec)
    Jan - 173lb, 20% bodyfat, .90 hip/waist ratio, +7.3lb lean mass
    Feb - 174lb, 19% bodyfat, .89 hip/waist ratio, +2.2lb lean mass
    Mar - 172lb, 17% bodyfat, .88 hip/waist ratio, +0.4lb lean mass
    Apr - 170lb, 16% bodyfat, .88 hip/waist ratio, +1.1lb lean mass

YTD - 28lbs fat lost, 11lbs lean mass gained, 1lb "mineral" lost, net change lost 18lbs. *

* Based on electrode analysis using an InBody machine, it is supposed to be one of the more accurate methods available...and I'm not going to argue with results since they pass the "makes sense" test. The only number I was shocked at was the +7lb lean mass in 6wks when switching to "paleolithic" nutrition. Breaking it down the machine said intra/extra-celular water stayed roughly the same and "protein" category increased 8lbs. So all I can guess is that skeleton/muscle jumped with the sudden massive boost in quality protein intake.

After that initial jump seem to be averaging 1lb muscle per month, plus some body fat reduction. Goal is to hit 12% BF and then hammer away on strength training, so lots more work in 2013. But I think "steak and eggs" plus 8x8 old school sets in May/June will help get there...
    Very cool analysis, looking forward to your updates over the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What could possibly happen? There really are only 3 options.

1. It won't work for anyone. Okay, tried and discarded. One month sacrificed in the cause of knowledge.
    2. It will work for some but not for others. Post-mortem time.
    3. It will work for everyone. Bonus!
    Perfect! Could not of said it better.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    vince.png
    What oldschool advice is this?
    Some history...

Vince Gironda was paleo before anyone had really defined paleo, perhaps 100yrs ahead of his time. Guessing he is one of the guys the original poster had in mind. Born in 1917, he was pretty much the #1 trainer in the history of the universe and trained a bunch of top guys in the 60/70s including Arnold, Larry Scott, Mohamed Makkawy, plus Hollywood dudes like Clint Eastwood, Denzel Washington, Gary Busy, Cher, Michael Landon, OJ Simpson, Carl Weathers. He was also a bad-ass himself (steroid-free).

He said he tried everything from 1x rep to 500x rep and kept coming back to 8x8 sets with very short rests in between, he said that was the way to get hard and lean, not some big blubber+muscle body. He was into the V-taper look; wide shoulders thin waist, and good proportions. Not into gross size for the sake of size.

He suggested eggs, meat, vegi, cream and butter. Stay away from carbs and sugar. Also into liver and organ meats. Some of his controversial quotes at the time were "body building is 85% nutrition" and "carbs are completely unnecessary for muscle". As well as "eating protein without fat is unnatural" and "don't eat carbs and fat in the same meal". He was very much against steroids. When people started with the "eggs give you heart attacks" crap he informed them it was sugar/carbs that gave people heart attacks. Smart dude, and he gave no explanations, so nobody really knows how he knew so much so early. My personal theory is he probably had a genius level IQ. He did a lot of self-experimentation and observations on 1000s of clients.

Anyhow, I just finished reading his book, which was to the point and excellent. He was ahead of his time then, thus I don't see any reason to assume he's not still ahead of his time now! Bring on the steak and eggs...

Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast