Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fermenting a banana to reduce carb content? page

SophieE is offline Senior Member

Question Fermenting a banana to reduce carb content?

Primal Fuel
    I was thinking of dehydrating some bananas to make banana flour but the carb content would be ridiculously high. Then I thought of poi, that fermented root vegetable dish and thought that fermenting a banana might be a way to reduce carb content (bacteria/yeast eating most of the sugar). I figure that I could heat it after to evaporate any alcohol left.

I don't have much experience with fermentation beyond kombucha and coconut milk yoghurt. Is there anyone out there with some experience or an opinion on whether this would be safe and how I could go about doing it?

Thanks!
    Sophie

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Just let it turn black and wait until it smells like beer. They taste better that way, anyway.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    ^Those are my go-to banana bread bananas. They mash better, better for baking anyway. Would probably dehydrate well, but why bother? If you're going to bake with it, you'll be adding liquids to the banana flour. Just bake with the mush, skip the liquids and flours.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

SophieE is offline Senior Member
    Kathleen: To avoid having to add a nut/coconut flour. If the liquid is already out then I suspect that it will hold together just with eggs.

Knifegill: Does letting the banana turn completely black actually ferment it enough to reduce carb content? Overripe bananas are VERY sweet in my experience. Or do you means like way way past overripe? I was thinking of peeling then when overripe, mashing them and adding some kind of starter culture like for yoghurt (I just empty probiotic capsules to make coconut yoghurt), covering it and putting it somewhere warm overnight or for a couple of days like with yoghurt.

I know the starch mostly becomes sugar, but I do not know how much of it has been fermented by the time it tastes like beer. I'd assume quite a bit.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

toolewab is offline Junior Member
    Just let it turn black and wait until it smells like beer

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Couldn't you just bake it for longer to diminish the moisture content?

Jer37208 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Just let it turn black and wait until it smells like beer. They taste better that way, anyway.
    You can freeze ripe bananas and get the same effect. I run a banana bread french toast at work for brunch, and 6 bunches of ripe bananas go straight to the freezer when produce comes in.
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    The more ripe the banana is, the more sugar it has, the better it is. Why are you trying to lower the carbs of a banana? What a waste.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

PrimalCon New York
    I hate this, but I'm agreeing with Derpy Hooves again. It's a banana. Eat it ripe or rotten, but eat it for what it is. Trying to denature it first is akin to sprouting grains and soaking almonds. If you're convinced it should not be eaten as it comes, just don't eat it. IMO.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast