Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birthday Party and Carbs - will it derail my efforts? page

EmmettsMommy is offline Junior Member

Birthday Party and Carbs - will it derail my efforts?

Shop Now
    Hi!

My wonderful hunk of a husband turns 40 today, and his party is tomorrow. There will be cake! Of course!

I'm only in my 2nd week of PB, have had many major improvements in digestion, sleep, energy levels, etc. I've also lost 4 lbs. If I have some cake and party foods tomorrow, will it make me feel like total crap? Could I possibly count it as a "re-feed", since I haven't done that at all since I started? Will it affect my weight loss negatively?

I understand you guys can't tell me for sure what my body will do, but your opinions are appreciated. I made the cake, I want to be able to eat some too, but I won't if it's really not a good idea.

Thanks!

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    I did that once... and it so wasn't worth it. I got pretty sick. BUT when it was my birthday I just made a Primal friendly cake (indulgence one a birthday) U can find them on any paleo/primal recipe blog. Gluten Free, Grain Free, High Protein and Healthy - Elana's Pantry

you can enjoy! and I still feel good!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I have done this many times, and every time I have I never feel like it was worth it. That being said, if you went through all the trouble to make the cake (as I did yesterday for my twins 2nd birthday) I would probably have some cake if it were me (and I did), lol!!! As far as "party foods", can those be paleo or primal friendly instead of off plan foods? Or maybe make an extra dish or two that you can have that will keep you on plan, just to minimize the damage if you choose to have cake. Can't say for sure that off plan foods will have any affect on you now. For some folks it doesn't. But for most I think eating off plan usually ends up being unpleasant, or a regret.

I paid dearly this morning for the cake I had last night. I woke from my sleep this morning with horrible stomach pains, and then it ran right through me later in the morning, if you know what I mean. I don't regret the cake, but I wish that I had not eaten it just because of how it made me feel.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Also if you do end up having a lot of carbs, don't be surprised to see the scale go up. It will be from water retention.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Primal isn't a prison sentence. You're allowed to live once in a while Part of transitioning to this lifestyle is redefining the habits, rituals and traditions that are so ingrained. Over time you'll maybe be able to separate the celebration from the food. Until then, if you want cake? Eat cake. Experience the consequences. Maybe you'll suffer, maybe you won't.

You might be amazed at how unappealing cake tastes. It's been over a year, and my taste buds and body know the difference between quality food and shitty food and fake food-like products.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Maybe eat a proper meal before the party then eat a half-slice of cake to be sociable and experience the flavor. Refined foods are doubly hazardous when we try to "fill up" on them.

I think associating a refeed with sugar and wheat is a bad precedent--just call it a celebration and enjoy. Nobody's weight trajectory is determined by a single meal.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I pig out on party foods every now and then. Sometimes it's worth it. Sometimes I'm disappointed. Sometimes I wake up 2lbs lighter, sometimes 2 lbs heavier. It's never been more than a blip in my weight loss trajectory. I don't sweat it. Knowing which foods are good for me and which are not so good for me doesn't mean I'm forbidden to ever again make a bad choice. Over time you will probably feel less and less inclined to make bad choices. That seems to be pretty typical.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    You might be amazed at how unappealing cake tastes. It's been over a year, and my taste buds and body know the difference between quality food and shitty food and fake food-like products.
    omg that is totally happening to me too! it's crazy how things started really tasting different to me.. or maybe they tasted that way all along.. *gulp*

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I pig out on party foods every now and then. Sometimes it's worth it. Sometimes I'm disappointed. Sometimes I wake up 2lbs lighter, sometimes 2 lbs heavier. It's never been more than a blip in my weight loss trajectory. I don't sweat it. Knowing which foods are good for me and which are not so good for me doesn't mean I'm forbidden to ever again make a bad choice. Over time you will probably feel less and less inclined to make bad choices. That seems to be pretty typical.
    This makes so much sense.

Madam is offline Junior Member
    There is a good chance you will feel like crap. But I completely agree with Sandra: this lifestyle isn't meant to be a prison. It's about being as healthy AND happy as you possibly can be. As long as you go into it with your eyes open, you should enjoy the day. 40 is a happy milestone! It might also be a good experience in showing you what the consequences of eating unhealthy now are. I indulge on my kids' and hubbys bdays too, and i know exactly what to expect several hours and the next day. I'm fine with it though; there are only going to be so many birthdays with a Batman or Strawberry Shortcake cake, after all!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast