Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Birthday Party and Carbs - will it derail my efforts? page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    For many dieters, their downfall is not an occasional meal when they go off-plan and sample goodies, then immediately go back on. Rather, it is the size and frequency of these indulgences, as well as how easily they are able to go back on plan. Someone who slips back into their old eating habits for one day each week and consumes several times their normal intake, then goes on a 2 day binge is not really committed to losing weight.

So how often will occasions come up that you feel you have no choice but to eat substantial quantities of things you know you shouldn't eat? I would say that the fact that you yourself baked a cake you knew was not on your plan (when you probably could have found a semi-primal substitute) and then felt like you have no choice but to eat it is not necessarily a good sign.

But see how it goes.

krsn89 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    Since you're just starting out I wanted to point out that a refeed should not be used as an excuse to eat whatever crap you want. Refeeds are about replenishing carbs and it makes the most sense to do it as healthfully as possible (tubers, maybe some white rice, etc.) and only if you've been very low carb.

That being said, if you want the cake, eat the cake! It's not a huge deal and it doesn't mean that you're failing at being primal. As Robb Wolf has said, this is not a religion. You aren't going to hell for making a choice to eat some junk. Enjoy it, move on, and don't sweat it. I also wouldn't weigh yourself for a couple days. You'll likely gain some temporary water weight and there's no sense in obsessing about a blip on the scale.
    I agree with all of this! Eat the cake if you want, and don't obsess about it. I have days or meals where I do NOT eat paleo/primally. It's usually if I'm having dinner at a friend's, birthdays, vacation etc... I just make sure I get right back on track. You might feel like crap after... I know I usually do. I always notice though that the more I cheat, the less I WANT to cheat. I found that I do not like sweet things as much anymore and they don't taste as good to me as they used to, so in time, you might feel like this too.

Have fun!

EmmettsMommy is offline Junior Member
    Well, I ate the cake. Ice cream too. At first I felt like, "ok, that wasn't so bad, no big deal."

And then it was a big deal, as I kept munching on things. It seems like it turned on a switch! So I overloaded on bleh foods today and I feel bleh physically and mentally and am beating myself up for it. Lesson learned. I fail at cheats. =/

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, for some people, one cheat item can trigger a whole binge. Learn from your experience.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmettsMommy View Post
    Well, I ate the cake. Ice cream too. At first I felt like, "ok, that wasn't so bad, no big deal."

And then it was a big deal, as I kept munching on things. It seems like it turned on a switch! So I overloaded on bleh foods today and I feel bleh physically and mentally and am beating myself up for it. Lesson learned. I fail at cheats. =/
    It's okay! Today is a new day. Just pick yourself up and start over. One day is not a big deal! Don't let food become the enemy, just make choices that make you feel good more often than not

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123