Thread: Low fasting blood glucose page

Arielle8282 is offline Junior Member

Low fasting blood glucose

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, I have a question about blood glucose that I haven't been able to find an answer for in the forums. I had a health screening today (about 2 months after starting a paleo diet) which included a fasting blood test. I had lower than normal blood glucose (52) which the nurse seemed a little concerned about and told me to go eat something (she recommended wheat of all things, which of course I didn't!). For reference, I pulled up last year's results which showed fasting glucose of 91 (well before paleo, when I was doing chronic cardio and eating lots of carbs). I have no history of diabetes, had fasted about 18 hours at that point, and felt fine. Is the low blood glucose anything I should be be concerned about? Or does it just reflect the fact that I'm not eating many carbs?

I'd appreciate any feedback!

otzi Guest
    52 is worrisome, low carb or not. Your body tries very hard to maintain BG in the 80-100 range and will keep it there right up until you die of starvation in a prolonged fast, even.

If it was me, I'd run to Walgreen's and buy a cheap BG tester and a bunch of test strips. Check your FBG every morning and at 15-30 minute intervals for 3-4 hours after eating to see what's really happening.

Your FBG should be in the 80-120 range, preferably in the 85-95 range.

There may have been a problem with the tester the nurse used or something is going on. If you check FBG for a week and you are consistently under 70, see a doc!

Thanks so much for the useful information. The test was one of those 15-minute speed tests, which were way off on my cholesterol readings last year, compared to the real lab test. So hopefully it was a similar problem, but I am definitely going to buy a tester and keep an eye on things for the next few days.

goinggrok is offline Senior Member
    I believe that the blood work requisite says not more that 16 hrs of fasting? for that reason maybe?
    Just sayin

Thanks, that could be it too. The reason I had been fasting for so long was because I couldn't get an appointment before early afternoon, and I chose to sleep instead of staying up all night eating . I got a blood glucose kit and so far everything looks at the lower end of normal after meals (max 126) and after a normal overnight fast (68 and 71).

I do think it's interesting though that my FBG levels did drop quite a bit since staring paleo. I've been searching for other people with this experience, but if anything, the opposite seems to be more common. Something to keep an eye on I suppose. For the last couple weeks I was really cutting out my carbs, so maybe I can monitor my FBG to optimize my carb intake, especially after exercising.