Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BACON page

brichter45 is offline Junior Member

Tonight I made 2 strips of bacon and then cooked about 20 small shrimp in the bacon fat... IT WAS DELICIOUS over a heaping salad!! it's so weird eating something like that and telling my girlfriend it's good to eat haha

Garden Diva Guest

Yumm, sound good. I am starting to use bacon fat for all kinds of things. Previously I would just toss the stuff out, now it is like liquid gold.

SullynNH Guest

You get used to it after a while Keep that stuff..I use it with eggs too...

Get Primal is offline Junior Member

Most people here really like bacon (I mean who doesn't), but I'm wondering about the sodium content. Any bacon is extremely high in sodium by definition. I try to keep my sodium content low, is that not a concern of others? I know the occasional high sodium meal isn't going to cause any harm but I've noticed that people are eating a lot of foods that contain really high sodium levels. As usual, the recommended level of 2000mg per day is way out of whack. We probably need more along the lines of 250-500mg per day. Any thoughts?

Tarlach is offline Member

I keep my salt intake extremely low. Bacon is about the only food that we buy that has added salt.

We choose bacon purely by sodium level. The one we get has 1/5th the salt of 'regular' bacon.

In Australia they don't add the high levels of sugar and other weirdness that seems to go on in America.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

What brands of bacon do you guys buy and how do you choose the best one? I was at the store last night and spent about 20 minutes in fron of the shelve with bacon and I still couldn't figure out what was the difference between the packages. I ended up going with the one from a local farm that didn't have any fancy packaging.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I go with any that are nitrate-free. Bonus points if they're locally raised. I got some uncured, peppered bacon at Wegmans the other week and wow! It was some tasty stuff.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

We are the same as Tarlach really, nothing else we buy or eat has added sodium, and the naturally occurring sodium in nuts, meat, and veggies is slim to none. I don't worry about it at all anymore, especially since even on a bacon day I'm nearly always below 1,000mgs of sodium. Plus bacon is delicous

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

I get my bacon from Trader Joes, which is labeled as uncured and nitrites free. And is also cheap.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Crystal W. Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Why is it assumed that everyone needs to be on a low sodium diet? Electrolytes are very important. Some need more and some need less, it's very individual! My little pet peeve....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast