Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Primal Pizza! page 8

ayumi is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    I love this recipe -- made it twice, once with coconut oil and again with olive oil. The kids preferred the coconut oil version, especially when split in half and rolled out to a barely cracker-like texture. My husband doesn't like it, but I'm hoping to win him over with a butter version.

The only quibble I have with this recipe is when we make pizza we have 5 hungry people to feed and usually have three (homemade) pizzas to cook for one meal. The cooking time for this recipe takes quite a while! Would it cook faster at a higher temperature without compromising the flavor and texture? Do we just need a bigger pan?

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Not sure if anyone has posted this, but spinach crust:

2 cups finely chopped spinach + 1 cup shredded cheese + 1 egg + spices of your choice = pizza crust.

Mix together, spread out in a circle, and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. Add toppings, then bake until cheese is melted.

Delicious. Sorry I did not get a picture!
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Not sure if anyone has posted this, but spinach crust:

2 cups finely chopped spinach + 1 cup shredded cheese + 1 egg + spices of your choice = pizza crust.

Mix together, spread out in a circle, and bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F. Add toppings, then bake until cheese is melted.

Delicious. Sorry I did not get a picture!
    Sounds interesting!
    The above should be viewed as complete and utter nonsense.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Made it last night. I used 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup tallow (I think it's tallow--it's the fat from my bone broth). Doesn't taste like coconut at all. The dough was quite unwieldy, but it was SOOOOOOOOO good! Topping was ground lamb cooked with rosemary and thyme.
    Last edited by diene; 05-31-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Blackbird is offline Senior Member
    Tanya, your pizza crust is AMAZING! I made it two nights in a row and it was excellent. There was the moment when I put in the eggs and the coconut flour in with the gelatinous glob of tapioca and thought "This will never work!". After a minute of kneading it magically turned to well-behaved dough. I sprayed it with a little coconut oil and used my marble rolling pin and had a beautiful crust in no time at all. I love that you can fold it and eat it just like "normal" pizza. Thanks for this great recipe!
    "Wait! I'll fix it!"
    "Problems always disappear in the presence of a technician."
    "If you can't improvise, what are you doing out in the field?"

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    wow that looks good to try - can I use flaxseeds instead of hemp?
    Yes, you could use flaxseed.

Quote Originally Posted by ayumi View Post
    I love this recipe -- made it twice, once with coconut oil and again with olive oil. The kids preferred the coconut oil version, especially when split in half and rolled out to a barely cracker-like texture. My husband doesn't like it, but I'm hoping to win him over with a butter version.

The only quibble I have with this recipe is when we make pizza we have 5 hungry people to feed and usually have three (homemade) pizzas to cook for one meal. The cooking time for this recipe takes quite a while! Would it cook faster at a higher temperature without compromising the flavor and texture? Do we just need a bigger pan?
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I think you could definitely try a higher heat, maybe 400. Also, if you have a pizza stone, you could heat that up in the oven first and that would help it cook faster. I usually make 2 pizzas for our family and luckily I can cook them at the same time. I can understand your frustration with having to cook 3!
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

nobita is offline Junior Member
    I'll always love eating pizza, I nearly did not make pizza dough.
    I've learned to make it from Chow to Make - You can make anything

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna give this a try. This looks really good but I will likely add some more meat and omit the cheese since I cannot have it.

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cayla29s View Post
    I'm gonna give this a try. This looks really good but I will likely add some more meat and omit the cheese since I cannot have it.
    You could even just brush the crust with olive oil or pesto instead of marinara and add some meat and veggies. I bet it would be great! Please let me know what you think if you try it
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    That looks like heaven! If only I could eat cheese!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast