Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Pizza! page 6

jaczor is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds great, one question though: I don't know where to get coconut flour, can I just use more tapioca flour instead?

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    So I made it again last night. I was too lazy to take pictures but I will report my findings.

I used 1/4 grass-fed butter and 1\4 cup REFINED coconut oil.

It was freaking delicious. The butter really changed the flavor of the crust. Toppings were uncured pepperoni, spicy italian sausage, fresh basil, tomatoes, roasted garlic, grilled onions and peppers. I ate way too much of it!

TanyaV is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaczor View Post
    Sounds great, one question though: I don't know where to get coconut flour, can I just use more tapioca flour instead?
    It would be too chewy with just tapioca. You should be able to order coconut flour on Amazon. Potato or white rice flour would work as well, but I'm not sure of the ratios that you would use.

Quote Originally Posted by aliphian View Post
    So I made it again last night. I was too lazy to take pictures but I will report my findings.

I used 1/4 grass-fed butter and 1\4 cup REFINED coconut oil.

It was freaking delicious. The butter really changed the flavor of the crust. Toppings were uncured pepperoni, spicy italian sausage, fresh basil, tomatoes, roasted garlic, grilled onions and peppers. I ate way too much of it!
    Yum! I plan on making it tomorrow night with pretty much the same ingredients. Can't wait! I had a feeling that the butter/ghee would be fantastic.
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaV View Post
    I had a feeling that the butter/ghee would be fantastic.
    It definitely resulted in better browning.

jaczor is offline Member
    I made it for dinner, I used almond flour instead of coconut because I didn't have any.

The crust ended up being too hard, my guess is that I over cooked it, it is completely stiff and hard to chew. Could it be because I used almond flour instead of coconut? I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert.

I made it for dinner, I used almond flour instead of coconut because I didn't have any.

The crust ended up being too hard, my guess is that I over cooked it, it is completely stiff and hard to chew. Could it be because I used almond flour instead of coconut? I wouldn't think so but I'm no expert.
    That could very well be. Almond flour and coconut flour produce very different textures.

Merlin_AZ is offline Junior Member
    Thanks to everyone that responded to my question.

TanyaV is offline Senior Member

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you Yes, almond flour and coconut flour behave differently and can't be interchanged in recipes. Are you able to get one of the other flours that I mentioned? If not, you could try using just tapioca flour and cut the water amount down to maybe 1/2-3/4 cup. I would eyeball how wet it looks with 1/2 cup and go from there.
    www.feedtheclan.com

Check out my blog to see how a family of four eats real, whole foods on $85/week

JackJones is offline Junior Member
    Hnnnnnng that looks so good.
    Spreading the Paleo/Primal message to gamers through my website: http://www.thehealthygamer.com
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyJacksChannel

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    I just made this. The dough was more like a giant lump of rubber. Very hard to mix the coconut flour and eggs in. I ended up putting it in my stand mixer for a little help. It was also hard to spread out on my tray. Looks great though now that the crust is baked. I am waiting for my husband to get home to finish it up. I wish he would hurry!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast