Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: in the process of un-carbing but endurance is a challenge page

Dumbellina is offline Junior Member

in the process of un-carbing but endurance is a challenge

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I'd love to hear your opinion on the following: my husband is in the process of going primal, and has minimal carbs (bar an occasional treat here and there). Adaptation is going well, supported by IF (16/8), mostly for inflammation-reduction and longevity.
    He's been doing it for a few weeks now, but the last few days he experiences more fatigue, and sports (tennis) is tough without carbing up.
    I need to add that he started his primal experiment and IF at the same time.
    My question is: what do you think is the wisest thing for him to do here: back off the IF a bit, get fully fat-adapted first, then pick up IF again? Or tough it out?
    (Oh: does IF promote fat-adaptation this way?)

Thanks!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Have him eat carbs with dinner, like a potato, sweet potato, or a serving of rice. It is not necessary to go very low carb.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Why is he avoiding carbs?
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    paleo/primal is not low carb
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Thanks for your feedback!
    The low carb is an experiment to reduce inflammation, and it fits more or less with primal (?).
    (Minimal carbs here = no bread or pasta, unless as a treat; oats and quinoa twice a week or so. Legumes like chickpeas: from time to time)

Primal Diva is offline Junior Member
    Dumbellina,

Oats and legumes are not exactly primal and they could cause inflammation.

If your husband plays a lot of sports, he needs to replenish muscle glycogen by upping carbs. Sweet potato, yam, potato, rice, etc are all excellent sources. He can also take coconut water if a tennis game goes beyond 2 hours.

Like other posters mentioned, Paleo/ Primal isn't exactly low-carb, although reducing carbs would help weight loss and ease chronic fatigue disease, insulin-resistance symptoms, etc. Our micronutrients requirement is all different, so your husband just has to keep experimenting until he finds the 'perfect formula'.

Best,
    Joey
    LIVE THE DREAM

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumbellina View Post
    Thanks for your feedback!
    The low carb is an experiment to reduce inflammation, and it fits more or less with primal (?).
    (Minimal carbs here = no bread or pasta, unless as a treat; oats and quinoa twice a week or so. Legumes like chickpeas: from time to time)
    I think you're confusing the *word* carbohydrates with the *source* of carbohydrates. Wheat and cereal grains and legumes aren't bad because of their carb counts. They are bad because of their irritating and inflammatory anti-nutrients.

There are carbohydrates in dairy, fruit, colorful and leafy vegetables, starchy vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc.... most of which are tolerated to some degree by most people. Your mileage my vary. An active person who isn't insulin resistant, diabetic, pre-diabetic, or attempting to lose fat has no reason to restrict carbohydrates. The key is to eat non-grain, non-legume (non-irritating) sources.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Adapting to low carb for athletic endeavors could very well take him longer than just a few weeks. But, from what you have posted I wouldn't consider what your doing "low carb". So its likely he's just not eating enough.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-26-2013 at 04:52 PM.

Thank you all for your reactions.
    Things are falling into place, but still in the process of experimenting & learning
    Have a great week!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Hello Dumbellina,

You should get the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Phinney and Volek so your husband (and you) know how to tackle "uncarbing" and still perform.

I can try to give you a few tips:

- while becoming "fat-adapted", don't work out too much
    - low carb - high fat diets are not necessarily ketogenic diets and some people do not tolerate being in the "fuel limbo" if physical performance is paramount (the body does not get enough carbs but is not very efficient at fat burning ... can be a problem). If he wants to experiment, he will have to go fully ketogenic for a while. What about a variation of the "steak and eggs diet" (with a few leafy greens on the side to not make it too boring) with plenty of butter ? This is close to zero "net-carb" and will make him go fully ketogenic (if the amount of proteins is not too high, so he can skip egg whites once in a while).
    - ketogenic diets make hunger "almost" a thing of the past, but you do have to eat if physical performance is important. The thing about being ketogenic is that glycogen is mostly spared and only used when really required. The brain will mostly run of ketones (with much less glucose than a non ketogenic one) and the muscles will burn free fatty acids when effort is not maxed out (60% VO2max).

Nutritional ketosis is a very special metabolic state and must be entered by a well tailored diet that will provide ALL needed nutrients (macro and micro). Read the book I recommend and follow the experts' advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast