Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: in the process of un-carbing but endurance is a challenge page 2

vishnuns39620 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Hello Dumbellina,

You should get the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance" by Phinney and Volek so your husband (and you) know how to tackle "uncarbing" and still perform.

I can try to give you a few tips:

- while becoming "fat-adapted", don't work out too much
    - low carb - high fat diets are not necessarily ketogenic diets and some people do not tolerate being in the "fuel limbo" if physical performance is paramount (the body does not get enough carbs but is not very efficient at fat burning ... can be a problem). If he wants to experiment, he will have to go fully ketogenic for a while. What about a variation of the "steak and eggs diet" (with a few leafy greens on the side to not make it too boring) with plenty of butter ? This is close to zero "net-carb" and will make him go fully ketogenic (if the amount of proteins is not too high, so he can skip egg whites once in a while).
    - ketogenic diets make hunger "almost" a thing of the past, but you do have to eat if physical performance is important. The thing about being ketogenic is that glycogen is mostly spared and only used when really required. The brain will mostly run of ketones (with much less glucose than a non ketogenic one) and the muscles will burn free fatty acids when effort is not maxed out (60% VO2max).

Nutritional ketosis is a very special metabolic state and must be entered by a well tailored diet that will provide ALL needed nutrients (macro and micro). Read the book I recommend and follow the experts' advice.
    dkJames,

This is great advice, thank you! I've been on a primal/lower carb diet for 4 months with lots of veggies, eggs & protein helped along by CO & Butter. While I believe I am fat adapted (I do not have hunger pangs & I do 22 hour fasts 2 times a week) I still do 3/week a 2-3 mile jog with a few BW exercises thrown in to lose some pounds from a few parts.

Should I not aim for nutritional ketosis if I also look for good endurance performance? Thanks for your time!

Dumbellina is offline Junior Member
    Hi dkJames,

Interesting! Thanks!

MaceyUK is offline Senior Member
    Fat adapting is tough and it's easy to push it too far. I regularly push the distance that I go without any glycogen to try and force cellular metabolic adaptations. I eat carbs in the form of sweet potatoes and white rice when I want to have a faster run and to make sure that my body doesn't forget how to use glucose for fuel but I believe the important thing is to feed your body nutrient rich food so that it can metabolise whichever fuel you are using at the time. On Saturday I completed a trail marathon with 1300m of climb and I really relied on my fat metabolism to get me to the end. It was interesting and satisfying to go past quite a few athletes who had not adapted and had exhausted their energy. I was sure to have a heavy carb day before the race to make sure I had optimal glycogen levels. Metabolic flexibility is my goal, your husband's goals may be different.

carlwest275 is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There are some foods for healthy that can protect your from different serious health issues.

Health tips

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12