Thread: Help needed page

dogsled7 is offline Junior Member

Help needed

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    I've been eating a roughly primal, strictly grain free diet for a few weeks for health and body shape reasons and have immediately felt the benefits. I've stuck to it despite a lot of work stress and life stress. Good going for me.
    My problem - I've just had a three or four day bout of food poisoning and now, as I recover, I just can't face any of the foods I've been eating. Chicken thighs, eggs, avacado, coconut - they all make me feel nauseous. Even that glass of red wine or square of dark chocolate. I'm due back in work tomorrow (where obese workmates half my age and my pseudo 'roid popping boss will no doubt blame my diet) and I've got to eat something!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    White rice with cooked ground beef. Drain the fat off the beef - only to make the meal milder and easier to digest, not because fat is bad. Salt is okay.

We used to tell pet owners to feed this to their pets when they had stomach upsets, but it's kind of my go-to thing if I've eaten something that doesn't agree with me.

Plain white rice or plain cooked potatoes are also bland enough to almost always stay down.

I hope you feel better.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Waterlily is offline Senior Member
    I second the plain cooked potatoes.

otzi Guest
    Eat whatever you want except for candy, pastries, bread, and fried foods--those are the biggest hazards to human nutrition.

If I moved back to the UK, here's what I would eat: Greek food (gyros and kebabs w/out the bread), lamb steaks, tinned pilchards, blood sausage, haggis, fry-up breakfasts without bread, ploughman lunches, cheese, fish that's not fried, potatoes not fried. Easy peasy.

Salina13 is offline Member
    Food poisoning will make your body react badly towards any food you've eaten recently in an attempt to keep you from getting sick again.
    I recently went out to eat (never a good idea if trying to eat primal and keep crap out) and even though I chose items that seemed to be free of stuff that gets to me, I still got sick. After that, even the thought of eating any of my usual foods made me sick to my stomach.
    So my husband took some chicken broth and heated it up with some ghee butter. Having that didn't cause me any issues so I ate that for a few days while he slowly added some vegetables into it.
    After a few days, I was back to normal and could eat the rest of the things that I like.
    It really depends on what your body reacts to. I can't eat rice or white potatoes on a normal day without feeling bloated and sluggish, but if you don't have a negative reaction to those then that could work too.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Salina13 View Post
    some chicken broth
    Yes, here's one.

"Invalid food" has become dry toast, but it doesn't always seem to have been so. In the 19th century you'd quite likely have been given broth, cock-a-leekie soup, "beef tea", or something of the sort.

You're UK-based according to your location in the top right. Have you got a Waitrose near you? They do a line of ready-made stocks under the auspices of the chef Heston Blumenthal. That'd be something to try, if you don't feel up to making broth yourself. Here's the beef:

Ingredients
    Water, Beef Bones, Chicken Bones, Onions, Carrots, Veal Bones, Garlic, Tomato Purée, Thyme, Black Peppercorns, Tomato Juice, Bay Leaf, Dried Kelp (Kombu).
    It comes in a plastic pack and is gelatinized enough to be solid at fridge-temperature.

You could drink that warmed "as is" -- or heat through some chopped boiled vegetables or shredded cooked meat in it if you wanted to ease into eating a little more.