Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PMS help please page

Waterlily is offline Senior Member

PMS help please

I have had very bad cramps since my very first period. It has been like this for the last 22 years. I have had it!

My doctor is no help so I went to see a naturopathe. He gave me Flaxssed Oil and Evening Primerose Oil, but it didn't work. He then gave me homeopathie (Pascofemin) and still no change. I tough going paleo would help, it didn't. I got an ultraound and everything is fine. Had two beautiful children with no fertility problems.

What's wrong with my uterus? Why is it so angry? I really want this pain to go away. The only releif I have recently found is magnesium. It helps somewhat alleviate the pain. The pain is so bad I often miss a day of work and lay down crying and I know pain, I had two kids no epidural, I am not a wimp, lol!

I'm at a healthy weight and active, generally healthy, no other problems, never been overweight, 38 yo.

Would a progesterone cream be a good idea? If so, can I get it without a prescription in Canada?

Please help

Salina13 is offline Member
    Your doctor should be able to prescribe the cream to you if its known to help with severe cramps.
    I've been on a low progesterone birth control since 18 because of severe cramps. It seems to be the only thing that helps.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post

Please help [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Can't offer any personal experience on this one, but I think women's health is one of the areas Julia Ross specializes in. It may be worth taking a look at her stuff, specifically the book The Diet Cure -- there's a mini-site for it:

Julia Ross' THE DIET CURE

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    My wife has a book of eastern folk recipe cures and shit, and it has a drink for cramps that is also good for any kinda muscle soreness in my experience; I make it for her whenever she has cramps. Equal parts ginger, red dates and brown sugar. Boil it for a long time in water until its soupy and thick and dark and some water has burned away.

It works best if you grind the ginger to get the juices out, and I slice the dates so increase their surface area. The pulp on the bottom (I strain it and give the broth to the wife to drink) is also awesome with meat.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If magnesium helps, take it daily.

I take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve) at the first sign or cramps (or even before), preferably with caffeine. Don't wait for cramps before taking pain killers.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    If magnesium helps, take it daily.

I take ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) or naproxen (Aleve) at the first sign or cramps (or even before), preferably with caffeine. Don't wait for cramps before taking pain killers.

I try to stay away from meds. I'm gluten intolerant and my insides have to heal so Advil is out. I used it before and it worked but I'm now looking for natural alternatives.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    did you miss my post then...?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    did you miss my post then...?
    Of course I didn't! You are adorable!
    I will try your recipe. Wanted to give it a try first and then let you know about my experiment.

I find it very nice of you to prepare it for your wife!

BananaLeaf is offline Member
    I feel for you. Over the years I have taken massive amounts of painkillers.

How long have you been paleo? And how strictly?

My personal goal was to gradually be able to reduce the amount of Advil I was taking. I tried anything that I thought might reduce the pain, so that I could reduce the Advil. The first thing that seemed to help was Chinese medicine and some herbal concoction that I had to drink as tea. Then, after 6 months gluten-free, big changes started happening to my body including weight loss, fewer headaches, less bloating, and more tolerable periods. It took the full 6 months to really notice any changes though! Then, after 1.5 years gluten-free I only had to take 1 or 2 Advil's in the whole week of my period. This was a huge improvement. The final kicker has been eliminating dairy. One month dairy free and I had the most tolerable period I have ever had...no signs leading up to it and no Advil required! I went back on dairy for a month and BAM, the usual problems returned. Dairy free again...smooth sailing. I will be sticking with the dairy free for a while to see what further improvements I might see in my health. I have a friend who went vegan not too long ago and she had a similar experience with her periods. We are both convinced that it is the elimination of dairy that has made the difference.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaLeaf View Post
    I feel for you. Over the years I have taken massive amounts of painkillers.

How long have you been paleo? And how strictly?

My personal goal was to gradually be able to reduce the amount of Advil I was taking. I tried anything that I thought might reduce the pain, so that I could reduce the Advil. The first thing that seemed to help was Chinese medicine and some herbal concoction that I had to drink as tea. Then, after 6 months gluten-free, big changes started happening to my body including weight loss, fewer headaches, less bloating, and more tolerable periods. It took the full 6 months to really notice any changes though! Then, after 1.5 years gluten-free I only had to take 1 or 2 Advil's in the whole week of my period. This was a huge improvement. The final kicker has been eliminating dairy. One month dairy free and I had the most tolerable period I have ever had...no signs leading up to it and no Advil required! I went back on dairy for a month and BAM, the usual problems returned. Dairy free again...smooth sailing. I will be sticking with the dairy free for a while to see what further improvements I might see in my health. I have a friend who went vegan not too long ago and she had a similar experience with her periods. We are both convinced that it is the elimination of dairy that has made the difference.
    I have been gluten and dairy free for over a year and paleo for a month and a half. I'm pretty strict, except for occasionnal manuka honey or dark chocolate. I used to be vegan but with beign anemic for the last 15 years, I need meat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast