Thread: Primal Vegetarian/Vegan ? page

phoenixjen is offline Junior Member

Primal Vegetarian/Vegan ?

Primal Fuel
    I've seen it mentioned that some people try to go primal vegetarian or vegan, but I've not been able to find any information on what that might look like. What is a part of that diet, and what isn't? I understand this may vary from person to person.

I'm wondering because I am primal, but my husband has been vegan for about 25 years. He's seeing the way my diet is changing me for the better, and he's listening to me talk about my research on it, but he is very resistant to change, stubborn too. I'm wondering if there are some slow simple changes he could make.

I'm concerned because I see the differences in him as he's ageing, and I see it affecting his self esteem, but he's resistant to do much about it. He feels like his diet is limited enough. At the moment I'm working on getting him off the processed soy. I have managed to get him off soy during allergy season. He has terrible allergies to many things, and he did notice an improvement, but he's gone back to soy now that allergy season has passed. It's kind of frustrating for me, so any suggestions or information would be helpful. Thanks.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    The main problem is usually protein. Plant proteins are concentrated in the seeds (not the leaves, stalks, and roots) which are the heavily defended/allergenic parts that primal tends to minimize. Vegetarians have a much easier time if they eat eggs, yogurt, cheese. The least awful vegan source is probably potato protein powder.

Fat would be oily fruits--coconut, olive, avocado, cocoa. Vegan products seem heavy on the refined oils--no matter how "expeller pressed" or expensive they are it's still a dangerous concentration of linoleate to be consuming. Definitely ditch these first.

Carbohydrate recommendation would be the same: more tubers, squash, fruit--less sugar and grain. Rice is mostly harmless if he needs simple volume/calories.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Until you can convince him to add animal products to his diet, here are some primal nutrition tips for vegans:

For Vegans | Raw Food SOS

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    If you can't find anything about being a Primal Vegan, maybe you'll have better luck finding something supporting Vegan Omnivores. Or maybe not.

Ask you hubby to consider eating whole foods, found in nature, and shun man-made replacement foods. The only way he's going to get adequate protein and B vitamins naturally is to replace his factory made fake food replacements with actual animal protein and fat. He's going to have to replace his meat replacements. With meat.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    When I got bored with meat, I ate eggs and a ton of Greek yogurt. It's harder, but definitely doable.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Get the soy and PUFAs out and try to convince him to drink some milk or have some eggs. Read Ray Peat.

Jorjor is offline Member
    Vegetarian yes, you can still do eggs,butter,raw milk etc. Vegan is a no go.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Vege...pping-List.pdf
    An excerpt from the book It Starts With Food (which is basically paleo) on how to make it work as a vegetarian.

Adding in animal fats, eggs, and dairy (if he tolerates it) are a good place to start.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

phoenixjen is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the tips. He doesn't tolerate dairy at all. I'm not sure about eggs, since I've read they exacerbate auto-immune conditions, and he has so many allergies and psoriasis. He is eating less breads and grains now, depending on them less for sure. I'd ideally like to get him off gluten, and soy and have him eat some fish once in a while, but they may be a long time coming.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Psoriasis often responds to a gluten-free diet. Nobody with an auto-immune condition should be eating gluten.