Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fasting caused weight grain page

Yoga11 is offline Senior Member

Fasting caused weight grain

Primal Fuel
    I'm so sad I didn't even spell "gain" right on the title of this thread. Grain = GAIN sorry everyone. haha I'm not sure how to fix it.

I've been Fasting 16 hour min between meals. I eat a 5 hour window from 11-4

I can't seem to get my hours later due to my job ( I teach Yoga) I'll faint if I have to wait till dinner time.

I eat around 1200 calories during that time. strict primal eating. no cheating.

I just completed my first week and I gained. 164 start 165.4 this morning.

arg. i'm so upset that I'm not having the success that everyone else is on fasting. UGH
    what is wrong with me! I was truly sure I lost 3 pounds! and please no one say to me "but what about inches"
    trust me i'm trying on my jeans and they aren't fitting any better. damn ...

I'm worried about stoping fasting and gaining more weight. I'm not sure what to do... help please?!

I have another thread about IF, but I wanted to start a new thread about this topic to reach people who have experience this and/ or have advice regarding this.. thank you
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-24-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Intermittent fasting causes rapid muscle growth. You should continue to gain weight.

I'd faint, too, if I only ate 1200 calories in a day. Surprised you can make it through the day. Even more surprised your body is managing to lay down new tissue on so little food. It must be very hungry!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Intermittent fasting causes rapid muscle growth. You should continue to gain weight.
    !

what?? but everyone says it's for weight LOSS.... ?

i'm 5'4'', female, 165 I would like to lose like 10 pounds. I was 155 before the holidays and NEVER was able to drop it after.
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-24-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Fat loss, yes, but not weight loss IME. I'm up to 185 now from 175, and my BF% has stayed right at 18% (almost, besides the fruit experiment) the whole time. Just adding layer after layer of muscle.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Darz is offline Senior Member
    IF is just a meal timing protocol that might offer more satiety as opposed to having several meals a day which might make one more hungry, that is all, it's not magic; and you can still gain weight on it; and you seem to be eating too little.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If I had to guess, I think what knifegill was trying to say is that (for eg.) one cubic square inch of muscle weighs more than one cubic square of fat. Therefore, if you added muscle to your frame, but didn't lose the equivalent weight in fat, you'd show a gain. I think that's what he meant.

My 2c:

1. I hate that everyone uses digital scales, though I read that finding analog scales is getting tough. When I read fractions of pounds, my heart aches for the obsession this is creating.

2. 1.4 lbs is nothing. It's less than 1% of your total body weight. The fluctuation could be caused by a number of things from actual weight gain, menstrual cycle, an increase in sodium, etc.

3. While a lot of people don't like being a "slave" to the scale, the flip side of that is that if you weigh yourself often, you'll see how much your weight fluctuates even during the course of a day, and so not be totally freaked out by a pound and a half increase.

1200 calories is pretty low from some people's perspective, but I'm on board with it for losing - a lot of people disagree with that.

If you're not currently doing so, I'd encourage you to keep measuring spoons, measuring cups, and a food scale handy. If you're eyeballing portions, you may be consuming more than you think.

It isn't the IF that's making anyone gain weight. However, if you continue to gain weight on 1200 calories/day, I'd probably make an appointment with a doctor to see if you have metabolic issues.

Good luck.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    I lost my extra weight doing JUDDD, which is a form of IF but it's not an eating window plan. Have you read the free ebook, The Fast 5 Diet? It's about the five hour window plan, but during the window you do not count/restrict calories and eat until satisfied. Looks like you're not eating enough.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    It's just water weight. Have a refeed day once a week (maybe 1800 calories) and you should see it drop.

And once you get down to the last ten pounds, it's a really good idea to stop weighing daily. Once a month is fine. Too much water weight fluctuation at this point & it will just drive you crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    I lost my extra weight doing JUDDD, which is a form of IF but it's not an eating window plan. Have you read the free ebook, The Fast 5 Diet? It's about the five hour window plan, but during the window you do not count/restrict calories and eat until satisfied. Looks like you're not eating enough.

I'm doing the the fast 5! I'm not strictly counting I eat till satisfied. Because I gained I looked at that my eating calories might be... And I figure out 1200-1300. Not because I'm wanting them to be that little it just ends up being that.

If I'm not losing weight Im just not sure what I should be doing next...
    I lost better on a high carb low fat diet. But I feel so much better. But c'mon guys I'm a size 10 with muffin top. It would be nice to lose it!

Should I stick to window eating or switch?

I don't think I can handle judddd I want to be able too but it's just too much to think about for me
    500 one day 1800 or so the next. Ah ill go crazy.

P.s. ill never go back to high carb low fat. Ever! Ill eat primal forever. It's changed my life health wise. I just want to lose some weight! Haha

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast