Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Fasting caused weight grain page 4

  1. #31
    Yoga11's Avatar
    Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    194
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    One of Primal's strengths is also it's biggest weakness. It's too adaptable and flexible. Strict Paleo is seriously the best, with occasional Primal indulgences. Back to the wild was the original concept and it needs to be used as a yardstick far more often. You're walking through the woods. You're hungry. What do you eat? What is there! Leafy greens, roots, fungus, animals as near entirety as possible, with organs, fats etc. Next are foods made nearly entirely of natural things, like coconut milk, etc. I've never seen a sour cream tree. I HAVE seen chocolate, coconut and coffee trees. Nuts are a LOT of work, like plan on being up in that tree all day to break even on work-to-calorie. It's just, wild humans hunt and gather. The closer you get to eating primarily what can be hunted and gathered the better.

    Uhhhh you are SOOOOO RIGHT!!!!!!!!

    do you eat roots? what kind?
    Last edited by Yoga11; 04-24-2013 at 05:03 PM.

  2. #32
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,855
    I eat dandelion roots, raw and cooked, from my pristine country yard (so blessed!). I just pick (okay, dig) and rinse, put in water (grate in ginger and cinnamon, Italian seasoning or whatever you like) until just about to boil, pour off into cup, drink the tea water and eat the dandelion. Carrots are great, too, I just don't waste money on them since I have fresh, wild dandelion which is so superior to grocery-store carrots. Started our garden this year, though.

    I drink Aroy-D coconut milk because it is very cheap at asian markets and the only ingredient is coconut milk, the boxes are BPA-free.

    Clean, canned mackerel, oysters, herring and sardines (no junk oils, of course) are a lifesaver. So affordable and you get bones and skin and other organs in most types!

    Plenty of avocados and tallow, liver once a week, and make bone broth very often. And heaps of eggs, duck and chicken - I like duck eggs best but $$$.

    If and when I do eat dairy, it's raw or grass-fed or both, in a hard, sharp cheese, and not every day. Occasional sips of raw milk seem to go well, but not a whole container at once.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  3. #33
    Yoga11's Avatar
    Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I eat dandelion roots, raw and cooked, from my pristine country yard (so blessed!). I just pick (okay, dig) and rinse, put in water (grate in ginger and cinnamon, Italian seasoning or whatever you like) until just about to boil, pour off into cup, drink the tea water and eat the dandelion. Carrots are great, too, I just don't waste money on them since I have fresh, wild dandelion which is so superior to grocery-store carrots. Started our garden this year, though.

    I drink Aroy-D coconut milk because it is very cheap at asian markets and the only ingredient is coconut milk, the boxes are BPA-free.

    Clean, canned mackerel, oysters, herring and sardines (no junk oils, of course) are a lifesaver. So affordable and you get bones and skin and other organs in most types!

    Plenty of avocados and tallow, liver once a week, and make bone broth very often. And heaps of eggs, duck and chicken - I like duck eggs best but $$$.

    If and when I do eat dairy, it's raw or grass-fed or both, in a hard, sharp cheese, and not every day. Occasional sips of raw milk seem to go well, but not a whole container at once.

    ya, dairy needs to get out of most my days. ok.. thank you for your posts...
    under your name is says coconut soldier and breadless pasta? whats with the breadless pasta?
    how do you feel about bananas/fruit?

  4. #34
    Knifegill's Avatar
    Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Washington state
    Posts
    6,855
    Oh, lol. That's just a Buffalo Soldier parody! I don't eat any fake pasta.

    Fruit is so individual! My gut can't handle bananas, but I can pound kiwis and other berries like nobody's business. It's hard to ignore all the awesome nutrition found in fruit. Even if we don't need it per se, gosh it's nice to get it that way. I also eat a crap-ton of wild berries right outside my door when they're in season - and rose hips (possibly nature's best source of vitamin C?), etc.


    Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

    My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

  5. #35
    Lojasmo's Avatar
    Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    977
    1. Stop counting calories.
    2. Throw away your scale.

    Seriously, weight is just a number. Get a fabric tape measure. Limb, waist, neck measurements are a much better metric.

    ETA: Back on primal/exercise for five weeks, and I won't weigh myself until May 1, then no more than every four to six weeks.
    Last edited by Lojasmo; 04-24-2013 at 05:39 PM.

  6. #36
    Yoga11's Avatar
    Yoga11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Oh, lol. That's just a Buffalo Soldier parody! I don't eat any fake pasta.

    Fruit is so individual! My gut can't handle bananas, but I can pound kiwis and other berries like nobody's business. It's hard to ignore all the awesome nutrition found in fruit. Even if we don't need it per se, gosh it's nice to get it that way. I also eat a crap-ton of wild berries right outside my door when they're in season - and rose hips (possibly nature's best source of vitamin C?), etc.
    Super admire your gardens... I can't wait to have a garden.

  7. #37
    berra's Avatar
    berra is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It's just water weight. Have a refeed day once a week (maybe 1800 calories) and you should see it drop.

    And once you get down to the last ten pounds, it's a really good idea to stop weighing daily. Once a month is fine. Too much water weight fluctuation at this point & it will just drive you crazy.
    Just wondering how upping calories would cause weight loss? I'm also IF between 18-20 hours/week and have 1 meal and a snack and stop eating by 7pm and can't eat more than a few hundred calories becauee i just physically can't.

    I'm starting to think that this isn't the correct way... i do it 7 days/week and have between 30-50g of carbs max and train 4 days a week. Yesterday i ate thai and carbs came to 70g, even though i was well under 1200cals. I just really need help/advice..

    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  8. #38
    paleodutch's Avatar
    paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    264
    Eating to few calories will tell your body its a famine and it needs to conserve energy andlower your metabolism. Try to eat at least your bmr (calories you burn by just being alive), the calories you use for movingwillbe your deficit andmake you lose weight. Eating more, like the amount you burn in a day, will tell your body its ok to lose weight because there is no famine but enough food.

  9. #39
    aprimalmomma's Avatar
    aprimalmomma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    96
    OP - have you had your thyroid levels checked? I was in the same position...went primal and steadily gained 7lbs tried ketosis, IFing and eating at BMR 1200ish calories...tried all the suggestions, eating more (added in 2000 c days...gained more), eat more carbs, eat more fat, lowered carbs, etc....nothing worked and was beginning to freak out about the runaway train...then started losing hair and had thyroid check and it turns out TSH and T4 are fine but low in T3 and free T3...just started armour so hopefully that will help...first rule out any medical/metabolic issues and then go from there...but I understrand your frustration...sounded so familiar!!

  10. #40
    jakejoh10's Avatar
    jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by paleodutch View Post
    Eating to few calories will tell your body its a famine and it needs to conserve energy andlower your metabolism.
    This is true to an extent, but the significance is much overblown. Sure, your metabolic rate will slow a bit as you get leaner (you burn less calories moving less mass), but it's not going to cause your entire body to shut down like some would make you think as long as you're eating at a modest deficit.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •