Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page

richard is offline Senior Member

Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread

Shop Now
    I'm pursuing a very low carb and low protein way of eating right now.

I long ago eliminated most non-paleo foods but I was still eating fairly good numbers of carbs.

Recently I became more aware of work of people like Ron Rosedale. I have realized that I failed to really lose weight and be more trim and athletic and healthy due to eating too much protein.

Protein in excess triggers a lot of the same metabolic channels as carbs, namely insulin. No wonder people on low carb diets frequently don't lose as much bodyfat as they think they will. They are consuming too much protein.

This is also very anti-inflammatory and excellent for allergies, auto-immune issues, neurological conditions, cancer, you name it.

The idea is to be highly ketogenic, without spilling ketones in your urine. Spilling ketones means you have too much protein perhaps. Not sure of the mechanics of that, but I have read that you should'n't be spilling ketones in urine or breath that much if you are eating with appropriate (reduced) protein amounts.

So now my goal is to get 80% of calories from fat. Or more.

I want to get enough protein to be healthy. Not to be burning protein in gluconeogenesis or wasting it metabolically.

So now I eat maybe 20 or 25g of protein at a meal. The meat portion of, say, a deck of cards, preferably fatty meat. And eat a lot of fat, bulletproof tea, loads of homemade mayo (using unprocessed palm oil or olive oil), as much fat as I can get.

There is of course a transition period. I'm in it now but it's gotten easier in just the last 24 hours. I am still hungry sometimes and I think that will pass, but I'm not very hungry. And I have no problem eating small portions and I don't want more.

The only veggies I'm eating are low carb ones -- cruciferous, leafy greens, and so forth. No tubers, no roots. And I'm very light on fruit, none for the time being, maybe eventually an occasional helping of berries in coconut cream.

I think this will prove an interesting experiment. It may be the healthiest way to eat, period.
    Last edited by richard; 04-24-2013 at 08:31 AM.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    You started this thread at the perfect time, I'm with you!!! I am looking to do a ketogenic diet to help control my symptoms of bipolar disorder. I have recently been through the ringer with my cycles over the last several months, and I can't take it anymore. I'm desperate and will do anything to get my disorder under control, and right now meds are simply not cutting it. I know that every time I have been in ketosis, I have a sense of calm and wellbeing, so that's what I'm after now.

So I'm with you! I just decided last night that I am going to start the ketogenic diet, so I still have to stock up on keto friendly foods, but I'll do what I can today until I can get to the store for more supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    You started this thread at the perfect time, I'm with you!!! I am looking to do a ketogenic diet to help control my symptoms of bipolar disorder. I have recently been through the ringer with my cycles over the last several months, and I can't take it anymore. I'm desperate and will do anything to get my disorder under control, and right now meds are simply not cutting it. I know that every time I have been in ketosis, I have a sense of calm and wellbeing, so that's what I'm after now.

So I'm with you! I just decided last night that I am going to start the ketogenic diet, so I still have to stock up on keto friendly foods, but I'll do what I can today until I can get to the store for more supplies.
    Fantastic MarrissaLinnea. When I started, about 5 days ago, my carb levels were moderate by most standards. I think this has helped me transition. I am also consuming a lot of sea salt and as much fat as I can stomach to avoid nausea.

I am drinking 2 or 3 or 4 cups of tea with 1 tablespoon of grass fed butter and 2 teaspoons or so of coconut oil, and eating an avocado or two and home made mayo (no vegetable oil).

For breakfast I had 2 cups butter tea, and a piece of pastured chicken (a thigh) including skin, and a half avocado in palm oil mayo. Plus a few pork rinds for fun

How many eggs can I eat for breakfast without going over in protein grams? In fact, how do I figure out how many grams of protein I can have a day without it being too much? A deck of cards sounds reasonable, that usually about 4 oz or so of meat. But what about eggs?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    What you will need to do is track your macros by entering them in advance on one of many available free diet/fitness sites that will do all the math for you.

You may need to throw away some of your egg whites in order to keep you in the target fat/protein range. As a person who recently determined myself to be sensitive to egg whites, all I can say is, egg yolks are good.

Low carb + low protein = high fat. There are a great many threads on the "Eat more fat" concept, which you should do a search for. One still pops up every day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What you will need to do is track your macros by entering them in advance on one of many available free diet/fitness sites that will do all the math for you.

You may need to throw away some of your egg whites in order to keep you in the target fat/protein range. As a person who recently determined myself to be sensitive to egg whites, all I can say is, egg yolks are good.

Low carb + low protein = high fat. There are a great many threads on the "Eat more fat" concept, which you should do a search for. One still pops up every day or so.
    are you sensitive to raw as well as cooked whites? I'm starting to suspect I have intolerance of eggs but yolks in mayo don't seem to bother me at all (they are uncooked -- but I have never thought about the idea of being sensitive only to whites so that doesn't really demonstrate anything.)

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post

Thanks for the advice. This will be a challenge for sure as I've been eating higher protein in an effort to get in better shape. Me thinks I might have been doing it wrong all this time. Grrrrrrrr!

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Awesome, thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    How many eggs can I eat for breakfast without going over in protein grams? In fact, how do I figure out how many grams of protein I can have a day without it being too much? A deck of cards sounds reasonable, that usually about 4 oz or so of meat. But what about eggs?
    for the per-day goal, I'm going with 0.8g per pound of body mass but I'm not really measuring that much. I am keeping protein down to around 60 or 80g per day (I weigh 178 pounds). I want to stay in deep ketosis for now. Then I can raise the level up a bit and see where that takes me. If I feel crappy I'll test increasing it.

I am almost 100% sure my attempts to eat better were sabotaged in the past with overly high protein portions and the trick now is to replace that with fat instead and make it a lifestyle.

Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast