Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 8

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    In other news.....I have ketones, yay!!!
    congrats. it really feels great.
    Last edited by dob; 04-26-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Misinformation is never good. In order to support someone, you make sure they know what they're getting into. Is it more supportive to let someone believe something that's incorrect just because it may be in line with their current thought process?

You support the truth, and "Carbohydrate drives insulin drives fat" is a flat out lie.

Being a "yes man" isn't giving support. You support someone by giving them the facts, whether they make you feel warm and fuzzy or not. Have you ever had a personal trainer at a gym before? Good personal trainers are some of the most supportive people in the world, and they do it by making you work your ass off and push through the pain, not give you hugs and kisses
    Having a different opinion from you=/=misinformation. There is a difference between a thread to debate an issue and a support thread. EVERYBODY knows how you think about this. Goodness knows you've repeated it often enough. So, no one is asking you to change your views, just take it elsewhere. Once again your opinion=/="facts".

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Having a different opinion from you=/=misinformation. There is a difference between a thread to debate an issue and a support thread. EVERYBODY knows how you think about this. Goodness knows you've repeated it often enough. So, no one is asking you to change your views, just take it elsewhere. Once again your opinion=/="facts".
    The OP stated that they were having trouble losing weight because of protein consumption because it generates insulin. That's not factual. Not only is protein the least fattening macronutrient, trading it calorie-for-calorie with fat will lead to more fat gain because of protein's higher burn rate. Furthermore, insulin has nothing to do with fat gain, which the OP implied.

If you want to go on a high fat diet, do it based on factual information. This diet is a reaction based on misinformation.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    The OP stated that they were having trouble losing weight because of protein consumption because it generates insulin. That's not factual. Not only is protein the least fattening macronutrient, trading it calorie-for-calorie with fat will lead to more fat gain because of protein's higher burn rate. Furthermore, insulin has nothing to do with fat gain, which the OP implied.

If you want to go on a high fat diet, do it based on factual information. This diet is a reaction based on misinformation.
    So which is it Choco? You can't say this and then say that CICO is the only thing that matters. Talking out of both sides of your mouth again.
    Once again, disagreeing with you =/= misinformation. Now, please, step off.

owanchez5 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much

emmie is offline Senior Member
    "Insulin has nothing to do with fat gain" is totally false, although it may be more applicable to those of use with disordered insulin responses. For us, insulin is a major factor in weight gain--or at least our body's release of too much insulin.

I was morbidly obese my entire life--because I happen to be exceedingly sensitive to carbs (and the research indicates that my problem is shared by many of the long-term obese). If I eat carbs at a 'normal' rate of about 150-200g a day, my insulin spikes excessively high--which results in incredibly low blood sugar within 30 to 60 min. That, in turn, causes insatiable hunger--which results in overeating that causes the weight gain. Please don't blame the 'overeating' unless you've actually experienced this type of low-blood sugar hunger.

When I was young, I wondered what was 'wrong' with me that I could be so hungry within an hour of a large dinner.

In order to lose close to 200 lbs--and maintain a 'normal' weight for the first time in my life for the past 2 years--I have to keep my carbs to 20g a day. My body responds very well to this WOE (I suspect because it controls the over-production of insulin that stresses our bodies).

And if anyone believes this is unhealthy, let me add that at age 71, the only Rx I need are my thyroid hormones (I'm hypo)--no meds at all. In addition, my endo does a full blood panel every 4 months, and my labs are superb.

For me, and others like me, insulin definitely has 'something' to do with fat gain.

I am not advocating my WOE for anyone else, but please don't make blanket statements as though we all fit some absolute standards.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I am not advocating my WOE for anyone else, but please don't make blanket statements as though we all fit some absolute standards.
    Sometimes it seems like the "solution" we are being offered is that we should choose to become young, healthy athletic males.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    it may be the healthiest way to eat, period.
    good luck
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

calee is online now Senior Member
    Emmie, I couldn't agree more. 50 carbs is my maintenance range. Over 75 and I gain fat and pounds quickly as well as gaining big hunger signals. At 62 I really wish I had understood all of this when I was seven and started gaining fat. The good news is no longer being morbidly obese and knowing that my next 30 years will be much healthier.

I'm battling 4-5 pounds that I put on since taking a desk job last fall. Reading this thread is helping motivate me to keep carbs way down and get them off before they multiply.

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    "Insulin has nothing to do with fat gain" is totally false, although it may be more applicable to those of use with disordered insulin responses. For us, insulin is a major factor in weight gain--or at least our body's release of too much insulin.

I was morbidly obese my entire life--because I happen to be exceedingly sensitive to carbs (and the research indicates that my problem is shared by many of the long-term obese). If I eat carbs at a 'normal' rate of about 150-200g a day, my insulin spikes excessively high--which results in incredibly low blood sugar within 30 to 60 min. That, in turn, causes insatiable hunger--which results in overeating that causes the weight gain. Please don't blame the 'overeating' unless you've actually experienced this type of low-blood sugar hunger.

When I was young, I wondered what was 'wrong' with me that I could be so hungry within an hour of a large dinner.

In order to lose close to 200 lbs--and maintain a 'normal' weight for the first time in my life for the past 2 years--I have to keep my carbs to 20g a day. My body responds very well to this WOE (I suspect because it controls the over-production of insulin that stresses our bodies).

And if anyone believes this is unhealthy, let me add that at age 71, the only Rx I need are my thyroid hormones (I'm hypo)--no meds at all. In addition, my endo does a full blood panel every 4 months, and my labs are superb.

For me, and others like me, insulin definitely has 'something' to do with fat gain.

Well said and congrats to your weight loss. After being on a strict SAD diet and having no results, I found the LC world. What made LC most convincing, besides the experts, was reading through the forums and finding people that showed remarkable improvements in their health markers. The goal is to be healthy more than anything else. Yes having a six pack would be awesome, but if my tests come back and ultimately I feel great, nothing else really matters. It made sense to me, and therefore I decided to also try living a LC lifestyle (hate using this word). Although I've mixed and mashed different WOE over the past year, it has worked and I will continue eating in this manner. I agree that this may not be the best solution for everyone, but for me, the logic made sense. Lose weight, get healthy and feel great, all at the same time. It's was no brainer for me. Last, whether it's primal, paleo, atkins, rosedale, etc many of the concepts are similar, but the baseline is the same, which is to become healthy!!!

Page 8 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast