Page 57 of 69 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 57

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Me either. I am loving the calmness. My perimenopausal mood swings are gone!

First solid food at 1:30 today! Had tea and bone broth this morning and hung out with a fellow nutrition coach for two hours. I didn't even feel hungry until I was 1/2 way home.

Steak with Brie and two duck eggs, kombucha, chocolate butter

Oh, and I measured myself and am slightly under my measurements two weeks ago, even though I am eating as much as I want.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Oh, and I measured myself and am slightly under my measurements two weeks ago, even though I am eating as much as I want.
    fantastic news!

I'm still around the same but I'm fine with that. I might have to practice a little calorie reduction but what's the point. I'm not really fat. I might lose 5 pounds, who cares. Or maybe not lose it. I'm close to ideal weight...

Thanks, Richard. I am really glad it's working for you, too!

I am just about at the place of eating one meal a day so I can drop the tiny bit of belly fat I want to lose for vanity's sake. I will probably give myself one more week of multiple meals, just so I am more adapted. I am already doing 18/6 IFs with ease.

Wish I had known how great I would feel in NK. I would have done it years ago...

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Your metabolism becomes more efficient once you have keto-adapted, so it doesn't have to run so "fast". Like a finely tuned and fueled car engine that doesn't need to run at high rpms.

Many folk never give their bodies long enough to adapt.
    Thanks for replying. That's very interesting...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    Your metabolism becomes more efficient once you have keto-adapted, so it doesn't have to run so "fast". Like a finely tuned and fueled car engine that doesn't need to run at high rpms.
    Many folk never give their bodies long enough to adapt.
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks for replying. That's very interesting...
    One of the Peatarian premises that never made any sense to me was this fascination with "revving up" your metabolism. (To continue Drangonfly's car analogy) it's kind of like the guy driving the muscle car who sits there with the gas pedal going vrooom vrooom at the stop light. It doesn't really serve any purpose.
    If your metabolism is running efficiently, it doesn't need to run hot. Also running hot tends to make things wear out faster.

EnglishRose2012 is offline Junior Member
    I had 3 very tough weeks coming off fruit/dried fruit/chocolate and at the end almost intolerable "candida die off" (feelings of exhaustion etc) and then came out of that yesterday and felt normal again.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishRose2012 View Post
    I had 3 very tough weeks coming off fruit/dried fruit/chocolate and at the end almost intolerable "candida die off" (feelings of exhaustion etc) and then came out of that yesterday and felt normal again.
    glad you're finally feeling better. How does a person know they have candida and that it's die-off?

sting is offline Senior Member
    Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Oct;19(10):2006-14
    Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner.
    Sofer S, Eliraz A, Kaplan S, Voet H, Fink G, Kima T, Madar Z.

Seventy-eight police officers (BMI >30) were randomly assigned to experimental (carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner) or control weight loss diets for 6 months.
    [...]
    Greater weight loss, abdominal circumference, and body fat mass reductions were observed in the experimental diet in comparison to controls. Hunger scores were lower and greater improvements in fasting glucose, average daily insulin concentrations, and homeostasis model assessment for insulin resistance (HOMA(IR)), T-cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, C-reactive protein (CRP), tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), and interleukin-6 (IL-6) levels were observed in comparison to controls.
    [...]
    A simple dietary manipulation of carbohydrate distribution appears to have additional benefits when compared to a conventional weight loss diet in individuals suffering from obesity.

How about that?

The officers were eating the same number of “calories”…they were even eating the same balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrate. Yet, the “carbs for dinner” group lost an additional 2.5kg (5.5 pounds) after six months.

Furthermore, this was a deeply restricted diet (1300-1500 “calories”), so we’d expect all the participants to be extremely hungry. (The Minnesota Starvation Experiment fed its volunteers more: 1600 “calories” per day.) Yet the “carbs for dinner” group rated themselves as less hungry and more sated…so real-world results, in which food intake is only restrained by one’s willpower, would be even greater.

Finally, the “carbs for dinner” crowd were healthier in all measured respects: lower abdominal circumference and fat mass, lower fasting glucose and HOMA(IR), lower LDL, higher HDL, and lower whole-body inflammation (CRP, TNF-α, IL-6). All this from a standard “healthy” high-carb diet (20% protein, 30-35% fat, 45-50% carbohydrate), tweaked so that the carbohydrates were eaten mostly at dinner!

Conclusion: a “calorie” of carbohydrate eaten for breakfast is not equal to a “calorie” of carbohydrate eaten for dinner.
    GNOLLS.ORG - Home of J. Stanton and The Gnoll Credo

Interesting

PrimalCon New York
    Anyone else getting super hot in the middle of the night? Last night I woke up 3 times to pee and felt like my body was burning fat like crazy. This has been happening for the last week, though not so intensely.

Really flat belly in the morning (for me).

Of course, it could be menopausal symptoms, but It doesn't feel like hot flashes, more like my body is just disposing of excess calories.

Walked 40 min and Fasted until 11:30 this morning.

Food:
    Ground pork, sour cream and salsa, limeade, chocolate butter.
    Eggs with Brie and spinach, chocolate butter, glass of wine.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-16-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Page 57 of 69 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast