Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 56

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Does VLC cause thyroid problems? This is something I haven't adequately researched.

This is interesting on that subject:

http://drcate.com/going-low-carb-too...one-imbalance/
    "Trigger" is a better word than cause

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Nice article, Richard. I'll see if I can find links to the other articles I've read that about thyroid and vlc. IIRC, the thyroid will naturally down-regulate with lower carbs, but it is not pathological, contrary to all the scare stories you read here.

I was already low carb when I went vlc the first time. My only issue then was lack of energy, since I was also over-restricting calories. I suspect some folk may have this experience and think they are hypothyroid.
    Dragonfly, what do you mean by it not being pathological? Do you mean "not caused by"?

If the thyroid does "down-regulate with lower carbs" then do you believe there is a connection between hypothyroidism and low carb?

Genuinely curious: not trying to cause conflict!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-13-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    "Trigger" is a better word than cause

Dragonfly, what do you mean by it not being pathological? Do you mean "not caused by"?

If the thyroid does "down-regulate with lower carbs" then do you believe there is a connection between hypothyroidism and low carb?
    Better yet would be "cause to come to light". People who already have undiagnosed thyroid issues tend to do poorly on VLC and thus their issues are brought to the attention of them and their doctor. These problems were already there. The stress of any diet program would be difficult for a compromised thyroid. Going back to carbs seems to make the symptoms go away, mask them temporarily, but if one really has a damaged thyroid, it needs a doctor's care.

VLC causes the thyroid to down-regulate but this is not pathological at all (as in not harmful or dangerous, just a normal body regulation). It is just that, with less glucose to process, the body does not need as much thyroid hormone. This down-regulation does not cause any damage and, if one started eating carbs again, it bounces right back.

This is referred to as "physiological" as opposed to "pathological" thyroid down-regulation.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Better yet would be "cause to come to light". People who already have undiagnosed thyroid issues tend to do poorly on VLC and thus their issues are brought to the attention of them and their doctor. These problems were already there. The stress of any diet program would be difficult for a compromised thyroid. Going back to carbs seems to make the symptoms go away, mask them temporarily, but if one really has a damaged thyroid, it needs a doctor's care.

VLC causes the thyroid to down-regulate but this is not pathological at all (as in not harmful or dangerous, just a normal body regulation). It is just that, with less glucose to process, the body does not need as much thyroid hormone. This down-regulation does not cause any damage and, if one started eating carbs again, it bounces right back.

This is referred to as "physiological" as opposed to "pathological" thyroid down-regulation.
    +10000
    Beautifully explained, PB!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Doesn'it sound obvious ? If there is less nutrients coming in (aka low carbs), why ramp up the metabolic rate with MORE T3 ?? The thyroid (and before that the pituitary gland and even before that some other brain mechanism linked to gut and stomach and whatnot) will ADAPT to what you eat. These are smart things unless they are broken.

I personally went VLC and it did not change dick with how I felt (fatigue vs energy, hands and feet temperature, feeling warm or cold, etc) because my thyroid has never been broken. Only my insulin (therefore pancreas and incidentally liver) started to show issues with time.

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    lol
    I use a 50K/capsule formula. Yeah, exactly.
    ...perhaps this has been covered, but it sounds like you're using vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), versus the more preferred form vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)? Correct me if I'm wrong...hebs

The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hebsie View Post
    ...perhaps this has been covered, but it sounds like you're using vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), versus the more preferred form vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)? Correct me if I'm wrong...hebs

The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement
    Thanks. D3 it is!

ate 3 grassfed hotdogs this morning, no butter tea for the first time in a long time. This Taiwanese milk oolong was so good and I didn't want to disrupt the taste even with delicious grass fed butter.

Also ate some macadamia nuts.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post

Thank you! Brilliant answer.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Doesn'it sound obvious ? If there is less nutrients coming in (aka low carbs), why ramp up the metabolic rate with MORE T3 ?? The thyroid (and before that the pituitary gland and even before that some other brain mechanism linked to gut and stomach and whatnot) will ADAPT to what you eat. These are smart things unless they are broken.

I personally went VLC and it did not change dick with how I felt (fatigue vs energy, hands and feet temperature, feeling warm or cold, etc) because my thyroid has never been broken. Only my insulin (therefore pancreas and incidentally liver) started to show issues with time.
    Why would you want to lower your metabolism though?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Why would you want to lower your metabolism though?
    Your metabolism becomes more efficient once you have keto-adapted, so it doesn't have to run so "fast". Like a finely tuned and fueled car engine that doesn't need to run at high rpms.

Many folk never give their bodies long enough to adapt.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    what I don't miss about eating this way is the lows and highs mentally.

I find my moods are MUCH steadier now.

And I don't get all shagged out after meals. That is a striking difference.

I think this is very good for my hormone levels in general -- I just don't have those swings in mood and energy I used to.

Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast