Page 53 of 69 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 53

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Nice article, Richard. I'll see if I can find links to the other articles I've read that about thyroid and vlc. IIRC, the thyroid will naturally down-regulate with lower carbs, but it is not pathological, contrary to all the scare stories you read here.

I was already low carb when I went vlc the first time. My only issue then was lack of energy, since I was also over-restricting calories. I suspect some folk may have this experience and think they are hypothyroid.

This time, no issues at all since I am not counting calories. I am doing a 16/8 IF to help my body drop a few last pounds. Painless and plenty of energy!

sting is offline Senior Member
    Dragonfly I was restricting calories also 1500 - 1700 per day compared to my previous starvation diets which were about 1100 1200 per day but lots f salds and veggies which is not a lot of calories for me since i am pretty obese.

I started VLC again Friday

Protein 20%
    Carbs 5% or less

and the rest from Fat but not counting calories this time.

richard is offline Senior Member
    I felt really crummy for a few weeks earlier when I started. I think in retrospect I should have been more gradual. But I'm fine now.

I try to really eat as much fat as possible and that helps a lot. And I've figured out that i need maybe 60g of protein a day. In the past with VLC I was eating far too much protein and it perpetuated my cravings for carbs and the adaptation process never really took hold.

I ate some bacon for breakfast and some butter tea. Only 3 or 4 slices of bacon and then I was full so I stopped.

In the past I would seriously have eaten almost the entire pound of bacon. Now I get clear signals that I don't want to eat anymore. The signals happen instantly rather than in 15 minutes. I think this is a sign of leptin sensitivity regained. We only get "full" signals 15 minutes after we're full (like I always used to) when we are leptin resistant.

Now the satiation feeling is immediate and I just stop eating. Easy peasy.

I should say something about my lifestyle here.

I weigh about 172 pounds now, and am 6' 1" (sorry metric types...I'm not there yet.) I'm in my early 50s and take ZERO medications.

I hit a peak of 205 somewhere a few years ago.

When I started VLC this time I was around 182 so I lost 10 pounds pretty easily and quickly never going hungry and never counting calories or restricting them in any way.

I sleep about 6 hours a night and never have trouble sleeping. I also am a breathing coach and I don't have clients but I have trained a lot of people in breathing which I think can cure a lot of disease. I practice that myself of course.

At the moment my health issues are:

1. A pulled tendon. I'm taking 50,000 IUs of D3 per day and K2 and A with that and it's gotten WAY better much faster than I or my doctor ever predicted.

2. Seasonal nasal allergies. Only get that now once a year. I was a terrible asthmatic and had horrible allergies all the time for my whole life until I discovered the breathing. The allergies are fading fast as summer approaches here, and I have found that a good dose of quercetin can work wonders for it.

3. Some residual gut issues. I was a psyillium fiber addict but now I'm off that. I still have a bit of leaky gut I'm sure.

4. I get post-domain muscle soreness headaches if I work out too far out of my comfort zone. So if I get sore I'll get this terrible headache that requires ibuprofen. Have spent many years working on this to little avail.

One thing on the above I think may be a key is thermogenesis. I take cold showers now, about 7 minutes at a time, and I think these help. I want to try cold baths or something like that but haven't gotten around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Dragonfly I was restricting calories also 1500 - 1700 per day compared to my previous starvation diets which were about 1100 1200 per day but lots f salds and veggies which is not a lot of calories for me since i am pretty obese.

I started VLC again Friday

Protein 20%
    Carbs 5% or less

and the rest from Fat but not counting calories this time.
    Yeah, I wouldn't count calories. The aim is to get leptin sensitive again, and I think VLC and limited protein will do this quickly. Eat a lot of fat, as much as you can. I think you'll find your weight starts going away and you won't be hungry either.

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    1. A pulled tendon. I'm taking 50,000 IUs of D3 per day and K2 and A with that and it's gotten WAY better much faster than I or my doctor ever predicted.
    Wait let me understand this right unless we have different type of bottles or something

Normal doses for Ostelin Vitamin D which also is names on at the front of the bottle (vitamin D3 1000IU) is 1 a day, so does this mean your taking 50 of these a day?

Wait let me understand this right unless we have different type of bottles or something

Normal doses for Ostelin Vitamin D which also is names on at the front of the bottle (vitamin D3 1000IU) is 1 a day, so does this mean your taking 50 of these a day?
    lol
    I use a 50K/capsule formula. Yeah, exactly.

so its the same thing as popping 50 a day? confusing because i was told to take 2 x 1000IU a day and than drop back to 1 after a few months Hmm

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    so its the same thing as popping 50 a day? confusing because i was told to take 2 x 1000IU a day and than drop back to 1 after a few months Hmm
    Richard takes a lot more than the recommended range. I'm sure he has his reasons...

Australia only sells the 1000 IUs, for some reason. We can get much higher dosages here in the States.

The recommended range by the Vitamin D Council is 5,000-10,000 IUs per day. It all depends on your sun exposure, of course!

At first, I needed to take 12,000 IUs per day because I was so depleted when I lived in the Pac NW of the States. Now I maintain at 6,000 IUs in the summer/fall, 8,000 IUs in winter/spring.

The only way to know how much to take is to get your D3 blood level tested. The optimal range is 50-60 ng/ml. LOTS of info on the D Council website I referenced above.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-12-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Page 53 of 69 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast