Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 52

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey Yogabare!

You were probably not eating enough. I had a similar issue when I first tried vlc along with calorie counting 2 years ago.

I weigh less than I did then & am having no problems, now that I have got things dialed in (eat to hunger, lowish protein, etc.)

Have you read the Eade's posts about restarting vlc? I think I linked to them earlier in the thread.

Everyone's different when it comes to ketosis. I am fine if I stay under 40 gm/day.

If I do a bunch of exercise after eating more carbs, I will burn them and still stay in keto-land.

ETA: you should check out the diet & bod on this keto gal--she is my current inspiration: http://archaeonova.blogspot.com/2013...t-fat-fat.html
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Today's food:

Burger with cheese and pickles, limeade, chocolate butter, goats pâté
    Hot dog w/sauerkraut, white wine, sip of DH's beer, chocolate butter
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-11-2013 at 05:33 PM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Hey Yogabare!

You were probably not eating enough. I had a similar issue when I first tried vlc along with calorie counting 2 years ago.

I weigh less than I did then & am having no problems, now that I have got things dialed in (eat to hunger, lowish protein, etc.)

Have you read the Eade's posts about restarting vlc? I think I linked to them earlier in the thread.

Everyone's different when it comes to ketosis. I am fine if I stay under 40 gm/day.

If I do a bunch of exercise after eating more carbs, I will burn them and still stay in keto-land.

ETA: you should check out the diet & bod on this keto gal--she is my current inspiration: LIFEXTENSION: What I Eat; Fat ≠ Fat
    Thanks for the headsup Dragonfly I ate quite a lot of cheese this morning (forgot how OTT American restaurants are with their toppings) with some potato and that knocked me out of ketosis but it's interesting to see that I can slide into it quite easily, and to notice the distinct change in mood. I don't intend on going back VLC (have thyroid issues so I know it's not wise to dabble), but I'll play with this lowering carbs thing a little more.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

sting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Today's food:

Burger with cheese and pickles, limeade, chocolate butter, goats pâté
    Hot dog w/sauerkraut, white wine, sip of DH's beer, chocolate butter
    Hey Dragonfly

what kind of burgers and hot dogs are you eating, thinking no buns hehe but even the hot dog and burger?

As i thought especially hot dogs were high in carbs
    Last edited by sting; 06-11-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Hey Dragonfly

what kind of burgers and hot dogs are you eating, thinking no buns hehe but even the hot dog and burger?

As i thought especially hot dogs were high in carbs
    Local Grass fed burger, locally-produced hot dog.

Buns? Are you kidding?

All meat Hot dogs are under a gram of carbs.

The hot dogs in the shops around here all have pretty high carbs hence why i thought i ask

richard is offline Senior Member
    I eat grass fed hotdogs. The brand is Applegate - the great organic uncured hotdog I think it's called. A perfect 80% of calories as fat. Despite that I'm sure it isn't great to eat processed meat like this.

But there are virtually no carbs in it.

Yesterday night I took the leftover duck and made an authentic Thai curry. I used lemongrass, galangal, ginger, garlic, shallot, fish sauce, coconut milk, a serrano chile, some cayenne and cumin and coriander seeds fresh ground, and I also put in about a tablespoon of honey, lime juice and a bit of extra salt. Cooked the paste in coconut oil, then added coconut milk and the duck. It was superb. I could have used shrimp paste, I just realized, but I forgot.Garnished with a lot of chopped cilantro and a bit of chopped mint (didn't have basil).

A very high fat, low protein meal, that was absolutely out of this world.

This morning I'm having bacon and I had some butter tea.

Does VLC cause thyroid problems? This is something I haven't adequately researched.

This is interesting on that subject:

http://drcate.com/going-low-carb-too...one-imbalance/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Does VLC cause thyroid problems? This is something I haven't adequately researched.

This is interesting on that subject:

http://drcate.com/going-low-carb-too...one-imbalance/
    The first time i went VLC i had lot of hair thinning and hair loss, so i stopped thinking maybe my body was saying this is not the right diet, and went back on more carbs and the hair stopped thinning, I'm pretty obese btw, i went on many starvation type diets previously where i had lots of my calories from veggies since they are low calorie foods and meat and stuff also carbs probably 20% 30% compared to VLC 5%, and didn't have hair thinning, so its interesting she talks about hair thinning in that article you posted. many on here and other forums have said its not because of VLC diet but starvation type diets and quick weight loss, but as i said i have done starvation type diets previously losing a lot more weight quicker without hair thinning, when eating lot more veggies and salad.
    Last edited by sting; 06-12-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast