Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 51

richard is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    My DH replaced our Maldon sea salt with Kosher salt, without telling me (sodium chloride, no minerals) and I have been getting muscle cramps for the last few days. No cramping at all when I salt my food liberally with sea salt.

Needless to say, he is buying more sea salt today!
    I think table salt is toxic.

Sea salt is the way to go. I buy French grey sea salt cheaply and it is not refined much and I think it's better.

Stay away from "Himalayan pink salt" as that is toxic.

Rock salt is toxic. Sea salt is natural and good for us!

sting is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    I think table salt is toxic.

Sea salt is the way to go. I buy French grey sea salt cheaply and it is not refined much and I think it's better.

Stay away from "Himalayan pink salt" as that is toxic.

Rock salt is toxic. Sea salt is natural and good for us!

Where did you here or read that Himalayan pink salt was toxic? I'm interested where you get this info?

the pink is its natural color the more the salt gets possessed by the manufactures the more it loses its pink color and becomes white, i also read most of the sea salt is not as good as its processed, and i think its meant to have more color than just being white.

Interested in your info regarding this Himalayan

here is a link where he talks about both Himalayan & Sea Salt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoE4ugZclk4

Quote Originally Posted by sting View Post
    Where did you here or read that Himalayan pink salt was toxic? I'm interested where you get this info?

the pink is its natural color the more the salt gets possessed by the manufactures the more it loses its pink color and becomes white, i also read most of the sea salt is not as good as its processed, and i think its meant to have more color than just being white.

Interested in your info regarding this Himalayan

here is a link where he talks about both Himalayan & Sea Salt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoE4ugZclk4

contains high amounts of fluoride for one thing. It is rock salt mined mostly in Pakistan. ACcording to this German site these are analysis of this salt in mg or g per kg. Many problems with eating this stuff if this is true, so I just use grey sea salt:

Sodium 460.10 g
    Chloride 520.50 g
    Potassium 1510.00 mg
    Calcium 1750.00 mg
    Magnesium 18200.00 mg
    Ammonium 430.00 mg
    Iron 65.39 mg
    Manganese 102.04 mg
    Strontium 17:10 mg
    Barium 1.79 mg
    Arsenic 0:41 mg
    Lead 1:09 mg
    Cadmium 0:03 mg
    Chrome 0.91 mg
    Selenium 2:17 mg
    Zinc 14:18 mg
    Copper 5:18 mg
    Fluorides 231.00 mg
    Bromide 4010.00 mg
    Iodide 0.80 mg
    Sulfate 610.00 mg
    Sulfides 9:10 mg
    Hydrogen phosphate 8.90 mg
    Bicarbonate 15100.00 mg
    Silica 140.00 mg

yesterday evening had two sausages and sauerkraut eating out. And a few oily chicken wings.

I got very strong cravings last night and ate 1tspn of honey and 2 medjool dates.

This morning I had butter tea and I'm planning on fasting until early afternoon to get back into ketosis.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    contains high amounts of fluoride for one thing. It is rock salt mined mostly in Pakistan. ACcording to this German site these are analysis of this salt in mg or g per kg. Many problems with eating this stuff if this is true, so I just use grey sea salt:

Sodium 460.10 g
    Chloride 520.50 g
    Potassium 1510.00 mg
    Calcium 1750.00 mg
    Magnesium 18200.00 mg
    Ammonium 430.00 mg
    Iron 65.39 mg
    Manganese 102.04 mg
    Strontium 17:10 mg
    Barium 1.79 mg
    Arsenic 0:41 mg
    Lead 1:09 mg
    Cadmium 0:03 mg
    Chrome 0.91 mg
    Selenium 2:17 mg
    Zinc 14:18 mg
    Copper 5:18 mg
    Fluorides 231.00 mg
    Bromide 4010.00 mg
    Iodide 0.80 mg
    Sulfate 610.00 mg
    Sulfides 9:10 mg
    Hydrogen phosphate 8.90 mg
    Bicarbonate 15100.00 mg
    Silica 140.00 mg
    Aha, wonder if Mercola knows about the fluoride. He promotes this salt on his website.

Thanks for the heads up, Richard!

Yesterday's food

B: cheese, goats liver pâté, tea w/ cream
    L: more cheese, pickles, chocolate
    D: chocolate cream smoothie w/ a raw duck egg

Today I am ready for steak and eggs!

I've been a bit tired. I think the honey and two dates I had on Sunday induced a little more cravings than usual but no big deal.

Yesterday, Monday, I had duck for dinner. It was a new recipe where you simply cover the duck and cook it and then uncover it and it is THE way I'll make duck from now on.

I ate probably 50g or so of protein yesterday. Probably too many nuts.

Today breakfast was three eggs with butter, and butter tea. About 20g of protein so far.

Astaxanthin side effects

I think that the astaxanthin I was taking was causing muscle cramps. I stopped taking it and the cramps went away. I had read about this as a possible side effect. Some supplements can be bad for us. I was taking 4mg.
    Last edited by richard; 06-11-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Duck, yum! We have been talking about raising some for eggs and meat, but our local farmer sells the eggs so cheaply that it is hardly worth our time.

Interesting about the astaxanthin. Glad you figured out the cramping! I only get a small amount in my krill oil supplement, and of course from salmon.

Yesterday's food:

Steak and eggs w/spinach, tea w/cream
    Chocolate butter, limeade ( unsweetened)

I wake up in the night most nights so HOT! Feels like my body is revving up as it burns my body fat. The only time I can get a bit cold is after a meal, when all the blood feels like it's gone to my stomach.

Off for a long walk to the library before it gets too hot.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hey everyone, I was hoping to get your perspective on something. I'm not usually a low carber (had a bad experience with VLC a year ago), but I've been really, really bloated lately and nothing seems to be helping. So I decided to cut my carbs a little, just to drop some water weight.

The weird thing is that I dropped into ketosis after just a day of low carbing. But it's different to how it was before - I feel calm, as opposed to like a maniac, when I was VLC. I'm experiencing the appetite suppression, which I never had when I was VLC.

I'm guessing this is cos' 1) I have more body fat now than when I did it last year, 2) I'm not under eating this time?

Anyway, the weird thing is - I'm not trying to be keto, so I ate some california roll sushi yesterday, but I'm still in ketosis. I was under the impression that as soon as you have something significantly carby you get knocked out? That was always my experience when I did keto before.

Thanks for your help!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast