Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 5

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This morning I had coffee with heavy cream, and two hardboiled eggs. For lunch I had one cup of the chocolate chili from Well Fed on top of baby spinach, and added one tbsp. of coconut oil to it. I might have a snack of blackberries with heavy cream a little later if I get hungry. Tonight I'll have meat and veg sautéed in coconut oil most likely. My meat servings are usually about 4 oz or so.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    yeah, I will have to re-examine that fiber. I've been using it since 1990 and it's been super helpful.
    It can also be addicting in that your digestive system develops a dependence on having it there to be able to function. Not good.
    Do you know how much protein is contained in bone broth? Obviously it varies a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Bone broth which sets up about the consistency of jello contains about 1/3 of an ounce of gelatin in a 2 cup portion. If it is thick but fluid, maybe half that. If it is hard and solid, then twice that.
    Interesting. But isn't there some actual meat derived protein in it too, not just the gelatin? I guess this would vary by the batch depending on the meatiness of the bones involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by egyption grok View Post
    (trying to get in ketosis for the last two weeks but just nt getting there as the ketostick is always negative, i think it is the PROTEIN, bec my carbs are averaging maximum of 25g a day)
    Please do not put all your faith in ketostix. They are often not very accurate. They measure the ketones being excreted in your urine but, if you have become well adapted to using ketones as you body fuel, you will be burning them up, not excreting them. The only accurate measure is a blood test meter like the ones diabetic people use. If you are under 25 a day though, I don't think you need to be sticking your fingers.
    coconut oil is sat fat, for sure. But it has a lot of medium chain fatty acids in it that are believed to have some kind of advantages, not sure what exactly at the moment. (MCT oil you buy is capric and caprylic acid extracted from coconut oil.) One thing, coconut oil's caprylic acid is highly fungicidal and effective against candida apparently, FWIW.
    The advantage of MCTs are that they burn off quicker instead of being stored as fat. CO is awesome stuff. I use coconut cream in my Teeccino.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There might be other soluble protein fractions as well. I'm not a researcher, but a cook. Soup that sets up like jello will have more body when hot. Soup with 1 ounce gelatin per 2 cups of broth with have a very thick, rich texture. I'm not sure how anyone without a lab could determine what other proteins are in a soup.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    There might be other soluble protein fractions as well. I'm not a researcher, but a cook. Soup that sets up like jello will have more body when hot. Soup with 1 ounce gelatin per 2 cups of broth with have a very thick, rich texture. I'm not sure how anyone without a lab could determine what other proteins are in a soup.
    I have a pot going right now that is the consistency of warm honey. Smells heavenly. When I put mine in the fridge, it comes out like knox blox, you can slice it and pick it up.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Back in the old days, when someone was making a long journey, the cook would make portable soup for them. It was highly gelatinous. Cut into pieces, it was dried at room temperature until hard. The traveler could dissolve chunks in hot water for sustenance.

Paleobird Guest
    Sounds good for modern day road trips too.

I wonder if coconut cream would gel. That way you could pop a knox blox chunk into a hot beverage and get both the MCTs and the gelatin. Must try that.

You guys are seriously making me want to make bone broth. I have never done it.

Oh, and blackberries with coconut oil and heavy cream is the shiz.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Oh, and blackberries with coconut oil and heavy cream is the shiz.
    yep they are, I usually have berries with coconut cream. Delish.

yep they are, I usually have berries with coconut cream. Delish.
    I absolutely LOVE coconut milk with berries, but have to eat very, very sparingly. So good though.

Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast