Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread

Shop Now
    Maybe low protein might be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Had my version of a "carb up". Won't do it again; immediate bloat, probably from the banana.

B: salmon salad with olives, banana chocolate cream pudding
    L: cottage cheese and banana chocolate cream pudding
    D: pork tacos, glass of red wine
    Banana chocolate cream pudding!

I'd be fine with it without the bananas, which I don't like. It's funny how we just like or don't like things. No real reason for it. How we're made I guess. I do love plantains. Do you find these give you problems?

I haven't had plantains for about a year! Super yum, but I imagine these would bloat me, too.

I think am just more carb-sensitive than I realized, so it's not the bananas, per se. I looked exactly like I have for the past 2 years on 70-100 gms. Until I dropped my carbs, I had no idea how much water weight I was carrying.

I ate ~ 70 gm of carbs yesterday. Back down to under 20 so far today and feeling much lighter.

Last night we went out to dinner. I ordered ribs (glazed in a sugary sauce I'm sure but not too bad) and salad. Replaced fries with brocolli and cauliflower and it was delicious. I couldn't finish more than half the ribs. In the old days I would have consumed everything including fries. As it was, I took almost half the ribs home and they weren't that meaty.

I just don't have the appetite I used to, thank goodness.

Allergies were bad and I took an anti-histamine, alas. Just no way around it. I'm sleeping less which is good. Probably slept 5 hours which is a good sign in my book.

I continue feeling great physically and mentally. What is striking is much greater mental focus. And fewer ups and downs, both emotionally and physically. I can concentrate more easily.

It is a HUGE effect. This is why I am not tempted to cheat. That, and I am still trying to figure out how to conquer the remaining inflammation as evidenced by allergies and a bit of stool issues.

Yeah my sleep is pretty up and down during this transition. I still manage to get 8 hours in two chunks. My body gets really hot in the middle of the night, light my fat-burning engine has been turn waaaay up. Getting hot is what wakes me up--and having to pee all the time!

Yesterday's food:
    L: eggs w/pastured bacon, dark chocolate
    D: cottage cheese w/cream, bacon slice, dark chocolate

Yeah, not many calories yesterday--and I wasn't hungry! Maybe 1000-1200.

I'm starting to enjoy the taste of ketosis--is that wierd?

Allergies were bad and I took an anti-histamine, alas. Just no way around it. I'm sleeping less which is good. Probably slept 5 hours which is a good sign in my book.

I continue feeling great physically and mentally. What is striking is much greater mental focus. And fewer ups and downs, both emotionally and physically. I can concentrate more easily.

It is a HUGE effect. This is why I am not tempted to cheat. That, and I am still trying to figure out how to conquer the remaining inflammation as evidenced by allergies and a bit of stool issues.
    Why would you want to sleep less? I really like the rest and repair time for autophagy and fat-burning.

FWIW Richard, my allergies decreased dramatically once I got my D3 blood level high. It took about a year, after getting my level up, but no seasonal allergies at all this spring. I also take 1000 mg of krill oil and 1000mg of C, which may have helped. C has an antihistamine effect.

I keep my D3 blood level just above 80 ng/ml, which completely eliminates my asthma symptoms. Takes me 8,000 IUs in winter/spring and 6,000 IUs in summer/fall to achieve this blood level, but D3 is so much cheaper than asthma meds.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-01-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Why would you want to sleep less? I really like the rest and repair time for autophagy and fat-burning.

FWIW Richard, my allergies decreased dramatically once I got my D3 blood level high. It took about a year, after getting my level up, but no seasonal allergies at all this spring. I also take 1000 mg of krill oil and 1000mg of C, which may have helped. C has an antihistamine effect.

I keep my D3 blood level just above 80 ng/ml, which completely eliminates my asthma symptoms. Takes me 8,000 IUs in winter/spring and 6,000 IUs in summer/fall to achieve this blood level, but D3 is so much cheaper than asthma meds.
    Wow, that's very very interesting. I'm taking D3 every day, quite a bit, 10,000 or 50,000 units a day. Haven't noticed anything that I can point to. I only have seasonal nasal allergies at this point in my life.

I don't believe the sleep dogma. If you need less sleep you are healthier, I believe. As you build up to higher and higher levels of health, you breathe less, and sleep less. I hope to get back to 5 hours a night routinely. I was in that before I got seasonal allergies.

My levels of inflammation this year at this time are FAR lower than last year though. Perhaps it is the D3, who knows. I know this though because my dental visit was SO easy this time, and last year at this time I had a tougher visit with more inflammation visible and evident in my gums, which are a very good barometer of internal inflammation. My nasal allergies were far worse last year, too.

Yeah my sleep is pretty up and down during this transition. I still manage to get 8 hours in two chunks. My body gets really hot in the middle of the night, light my fat-burning engine has been turn waaaay up. Getting hot is what wakes me up--and having to pee all the time!

Yesterday's food:
    L: eggs w/pastured bacon, dark chocolate
    D: cottage cheese w/cream, bacon slice, dark chocolate

Yeah, not many calories yesterday--and I wasn't hungry! Maybe 1000-1200.

I'm starting to enjoy the taste of ketosis--is that wierd?
    Peeing often...I wonder what that's about...?

If you're open to a suggestion, you might try leaving out the chocolate. This has an effect on a lot of people as a "new world' food, sometimes as bad or worse than nightshades. I personally can't tolerate chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Wow, that's very very interesting. I'm taking D3 every day, quite a bit, 10,000 or 50,000 units a day. Haven't noticed anything that I can point to. I only have seasonal nasal allergies at this point in my life.

I don't believe the sleep dogma. If you need less sleep you are healthier, I believe. As you build up to higher and higher levels of health, you breathe less, and sleep less. I hope to get back to 5 hours a night routinely. I was in that before I got seasonal allergies.

My levels of inflammation this year at this time are FAR lower than last year though. Perhaps it is the D3, who knows. I know this though because my dental visit was SO easy this time, and last year at this time I had a tougher visit with more inflammation visible and evident in my gums, which are a very good barometer of internal inflammation. My nasal allergies were far worse last year, too.
    Are you supplementing Magnesium, too? I can't remember from your previous posts. Curious what your blood level is with that much D.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Peeing often...I wonder what that's about...?

If you're open to a suggestion, you might try leaving out the chocolate. This has an effect on a lot of people as a "new world' food, sometimes as bad or worse than nightshades. I personally can't tolerate chocolate.
    Oh the peeing is just dropping water weight/electrolyte balancing. I think women may have this more than men due to our hormonal profile.. I started vlc less than a week ago, so I expected this. It will slow down soon.

Thanks, Richard! I do fine with dark chocolate, and it is one of my few carb sources, since I am FODMAPS intolerant. I only do 30 g/day, in any case.