Page 40 of 69 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 40

richard is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Is it all capsicum? Because a great fermented veggie is kimchi. Bummer if it's all.
    yeah, I have some homemade kimchi in the fridge, it's super good. I got really into fermented veggies and I have about two jars. I hope I can handle it...meanwhile I'm starting efficient microbes which are pretty amazing.

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Lucky man if you have fresh kimchi in the fridge. So when the kimichi is on it's last leg, have you tried making a soup out of it? maybe I'm singing to the choir...are you of korean descent? If not, google kimchi chigae. You can substitute the pork for beef and possibly use bone broth. I have to stop talking about this, it's causing my korean food cravings to kick in.

What is efficient microbes? what brand do you use?

No I'm not of Korean ancestry but we live in a Korean neighborhood. Korean food at a restaurant is a super good primal choice.

I ferment veggies as a hobby kind of. The kimchi lasts forever once it's in the fridge, so I'm not worried about it going south. I'll look up chigae though. Thanks!

Efficient microbes can be made from various innoculants. I started with SCD Essential Probiotics. Amazing stuff.

I am using that now and also having a bit of fermented root veggies, just a tablespoon or so, each day.

this morning I had a cup of butter tea and didn't feel hungry. So I'm eating in the afternoon today.

This will be my first time with IF since starting this new way of eating and living.

I also do want to make sure my gut is healed before cheating. I think the introduction of efficient microbes and a bit of fermented veggies every day should help.

My stools are still not great, better formed sausages but lots of residual. Aim for no soiling at all.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Hey Richard~ Glad you started this thread!

I just came back to vlc this week after trying it 6 months after going Primal. I've been Primal now for almost 3 years. Had been eating around 70-100 gms of carbs, but found it was harder to maintain my energy levels and drop those last 5 lbs..

I am now eating <40 gm carb and moderate protein, 60-70 gm. I eat to satiety.

The transition has been really painless for me this time around. I think having my salt, Magnesium & Vitamin D levels dialed in has made a huge difference.

Finding these recent blog posts was really helpful:

LIFEXTENSION: What I Eat; Fat ≠ Fat

Hyperlipid: What do I eat? 2013 update

http://www.ketotic.org/2013/02/prote...d-glucose.html
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 05-28-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Hey Richard~ Glad you started this thread!

I just came back to vlc this week after trying it 6 months after going Primal. I've been Primal now for almost 3 years. Had been eating around 70-100 gms of carbs, but found it was harder to maintain my energy levels and drop those last 5 lbs..

I am now eating <40 gm carb and moderate protein, 60-70 gm. I eat to satiety.

The transition has been really painless for me this time around. I think having my salt, Magnesium & Vitamin D levels dialed in has made a huge difference.

Finding these recent blog posts was really helpful:

LIFEXTENSION: What I Eat; Fat ≠ Fat

Hyperlipid: What do I eat? 2013 update

The Ketogenic Diet for Health: Protein, Ketogenesis, and Glucose Oxidation
    I found that when I pursued primal only I got hungry a lot and was never full.

I discovered that I didn't fix my leptin resistance because I was consuming high protein.

I've also come to terms with gut issues that I have yet to get rid of. Including an intolerance for all the nightshades (possibly except white potatoes but who knows as I no longer eat them) especially capsicum which I love (of course.)

Those two things have been holding me back.

One thing I'm not sure of is how long to do this for, or if it's a permanent thing. I would like to have carb feeding days once in awhile where I eat anything I want, but I'm concerned about my gut healing first. So I don't do that.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I suspect that this is lifelong for me.

If I need to do intense work or a vigorous hike that is glycogen depleting, then I will def eat more carbs for those particular times, but I am feeling so much better on vlc.

I am FODMAPS-intolerant, so going to a low veggie/highish organ diet (animals FTW!) really works for me.

Do check out the blogs--they are so helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I suspect that this is lifelong for me.

If I need to do intense work or a vigorous hike that is glycogen depleting, then I will def eat more carbs for those particular times, but I am feeling so much better on vlc.

I am FODMAPS-intolerant, so going to a low veggie/highish organ diet (animals FTW!) really works for me.

Do check out the blogs--they are so helpful!
    thanks - I will check them out.

I have already found that I have more endurance this way. I haven't lifted weights due to a tendon injury but I suspect that will go very well when I start up again. So no need for glycogen loading for me, I think. We'll see.

lunch (first meal of the day) was an avocado, probably 25g of protein via pastured chicken, and maybe 25 pistachios.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Hi Richard!! Been really struggling with a bout of depression and binges, but I'm back to keto eating for good now and have made the commitment to myself. I'm sorry I have been so flaky, doing the best I can to get out of this cycle. But I know I can do it!!! I have missed being around for your updates, but am looking to you for inspiration!! Thanks for being there!

Page 40 of 69 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast