Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 3

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Some health experts do recommend low carb & low protein, as that is a keto diet.
    Protein: How Much Is Too Much? | Primal Body Primal Mind Diet and Nutrition

As the OP quiet rightly said, you need to drop your protein if you want your body to actually make effective use of the ketones produced and therefor not excrete them.

It sounds to me like if your on a "keto diet" which consists of high fat, high protein and low carbs, you'll just be switching to protein as a substitute source of carbs via gluconeogenesis. But I'm no health expert..

While Johns Hopkins uses the keto diet to treat epilepsy in kids rather than for general health, they also warn that for the diet to be defective the protein intake also needs to be reduced as (IIRC) up to 50% of your protein intake can be converted into glucose, which would throw the patient out of a ketotic state.

They also state that while most patients only stay on the diet for a couple of years, some continue for 5 plus yrs, without any health effects, and "surprisingly" no signs of cholesterol issues or heart disease despite the high amount of saturated fat in the diet (largely from heavy cream according to their dietary recommendations).
    Last edited by Misabi; 04-24-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: To fix a brain fart :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Personally, even though the title says so, I believe this to be a more moderate protein than low protein. Low protein, IMO, would be much lower that what the OP is eating, and what I intend to be eating.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I can' t really know how much protein I'm going to eat. As of now the plan is to stick to small portions and see how I feel. I am still in the "adaptation" phase but doing surprisingly well. It is a challenge eating enough fat.

One thing I do consume is psyllium fiber. I have taken it for years and find it very helpful. I am also grinding my raw veggies at the moment for gut reasons although I don't think that will be for much longer.

I'm getting fat from:

grass fed butter
    unprocessed palm oil
    coconut oil
    animal fats incidental to fatty cuts of meat
    avocado
    olive oil

Paleobird Guest
    This is an interesting segment of a Nora Gedgaudas talk regarding protein levels.

Metabolic Function & Excess Protein Consumption | Nora Gedgaudas - YouTube

The takeaway for me is that people who come to paleo with very sugar dependent dis-regulated metabolisms need to be more careful about their protein intake as gluconeogenesis will be more of an issue for them. But those people who were not big sugar/carb junkies to begin with can get away with eating more protein.

Once you are firmly in ketosis and have been for some time, I think you can also afford to eat more protein.

To the OP, the diet you are proposing is something I have lived in for quite a while now as I am using ketosis for the treatment of my epilepsy. My ratios are about 75f/20p/5c but that varies from day to day. I'm not tracking carefully as I used to since I am in maintenance mode as far as weight goes.

I'm not sure it's really necessary to push it as high as 80%+ fat but I will be watching your experiment with interest. (The protocol Johns Hopkins currently uses for treating epilepsy is 74/20/6. It used to be more like 80/10/10)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Yeah, I can' t really know how much protein I'm going to eat. As of now the plan is to stick to small portions and see how I feel. I am still in the "adaptation" phase but doing surprisingly well. It is a challenge eating enough fat.

One thing I do consume is psyllium fiber. I have taken it for years and find it very helpful. I am also grinding my raw veggies at the moment for gut reasons although I don't think that will be for much longer.

I'm getting fat from:

grass fed butter
    unprocessed palm oil
    coconut oil
    animal fats incidental to fatty cuts of meat
    avocado
    olive oil
    Please reconsider your intake of so much fiber. It may not be doing you any favors.

Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults

http://www.amazon.ca/Fiber-Menace-Co.../dp/0970679645

eKatherine is offline Senior Member

yeah, I will have to re-examine that fiber. I've been using it since 1990 and it's been super helpful.

Thanks!

Feeling really crappy and depressed tonight. It's purely the adaptation period. I will try some more salt.

this morning had some bone broth, very nice. Feel great.

Do you know how much protein is contained in bone broth? Obviously it varies a lot. Mine was made with pork necks in pressure cooker for two hours. Very gelatinous. I had about a cup full this morning along with butter/coconut oil tea.
    Last edited by richard; 04-25-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In his book Rosedale Diet, Dr. Rosedale suggests 60g of protein a day, spread out. Some researchers or experts suggest more. Obviously there is a lot of variation in this. And I've found .6g per pound, vs. .6g per kilo, which is quite a variation, LOL.

There is a strict 3 week "level one" similar to Atkins induction period. During this time he suggests keeping satfat levels near zero. I'm not sure I get the reason for that, and I'm not doing it that way. In fact I'm not following it but I think it is an interesting book and an interesting approach.

Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast