Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 687

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 21

  1. #201
    MarissaLinnea's Avatar
    MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    770
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Exercise a bit less, eat a bit more and relax a little on the carbs, you can go up to 50g, maybe even a bit more if you are doing exercise, some peoples body's just need a little more time to adapt than others.
    I don't think enough people consider where they are coming from, fully healthy it takes a couple of weeks, but if your starting point is back a few notches because of long term health conditions, then it could be months, so have a good listen to your body and it will tell you what's right.
    Bone broths are great, I just keep all roast bone fragments in a freezer container, then when there's enough I make up a big pot.
    Never used much salt in the past, but have increased my intake since going Paleo.
    Thank you for the advice and support.

    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Sorry to hear you continue to be in this funk. Keep at it. Are you taking a multivitamin?
    Yes, I take a multi.

    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Hi Marissa, I hope when you read this, you're feeling amazing!!

    Just to add a point re: IF, I've seen so many individuals modify it to meet their own needs. Eat one large meal a day or eat a couple of meals within a certain period of time and wait 14-18 hours for the next meal. I've seen some consider a 12 hour break between last and first meal IF. I just don't want you to think that IF is eating one meal a day.

    Currently, I eat two meals a day between 11-6. Since my meals are close together, i feel satisfied. It kind of happened naturally. I normally ate at the times we were conditioned to, but eventually I would wait an hour to see how I felt, which would turn into two and so on. At this time, two meals is my minimum. (don't know how anyone can eat just one meal, but that's just me).

    One thing to consider, our body's hunger signals can be mistaken for our body's need for water. After my last meal, I've experienced hunger, but a drink of water seems to do the trick. It really works for me.

    Regarding calories...if you feel like increasing it will make you feel better, give it a shot. Just increase calories systematically, 50 at a time, and stick with your ketosis protocols.

    Are taking a multivitamin? that might help.
    At this point my meals are so small, around 400-500 cals each, so I'm eating three times a day, plus snack if I want/need it. I might consolidate two meals into one and see if that doesn't help me. I woke up feeling really hungry this morning, even after having dinner and a snack after dinner last night, which makes me think that it could just be an issue of calories, but still not sure. I will add a little bit and see how I feel in a few days, and I think I need to get in more veggies for some more carbs so I'm hitting at least 20g of carb a day. Some days are 10 or less, I don't do it on purpose, that's just how it happened to work out with the foods I had on hand, so that could be part of the issue too.

    Thanks everyone for the advice and support. I truly do appreciate it!!!

  2. #202
    richard's Avatar
    richard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    394
    and one more idea.

    Another thing that may help is MCT oil.

    MCT oil consumption leads to ketosis more easily and with a higher amount of protein and carbs, or so I've read. I have been drinking it in my butter tea, about 1 tablespoon each cup. Have to be careful about not consuming too much as it can leave me slightly nauseous, but it's a matter of building up.

    Things that lead to quicker keto adaptation may be:

    1. IF

    2. MCT oil

    3. resistance exercises (a LOT of people say this jump started them and got them over the initial hump -- I have been doing hot Yoga and perhaps that provides some of the same benefits -- can't lift right now due to a tendon injury)

  3. #203
    MarissaLinnea's Avatar
    MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    and one more idea.

    Another thing that may help is MCT oil.

    MCT oil consumption leads to ketosis more easily and with a higher amount of protein and carbs, or so I've read. I have been drinking it in my butter tea, about 1 tablespoon each cup. Have to be careful about not consuming too much as it can leave me slightly nauseous, but it's a matter of building up.

    Things that lead to quicker keto adaptation may be:

    1. IF

    2. MCT oil

    3. resistance exercises (a LOT of people say this jump started them and got them over the initial hump -- I have been doing hot Yoga and perhaps that provides some of the same benefits -- can't lift right now due to a tendon injury)
    I don't have MCT oil, but I do consume a lot of coconut oil which has MCT's, right? I have been doing a lot more resistance exercise and walks instead of doing my cardio exercises, but have also still been doing my HIIT workouts twice a week. Maybe I should just do that once a week and keep the resistance and walking, I dunno. So far today feeling much, much better than yesterday. Going to have breakfast soon and then I'll see how I feel.

  4. #204
    richard's Avatar
    richard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I don't have MCT oil, but I do consume a lot of coconut oil which has MCT's, right? I have been doing a lot more resistance exercise and walks instead of doing my cardio exercises, but have also still been doing my HIIT workouts twice a week. Maybe I should just do that once a week and keep the resistance and walking, I dunno. So far today feeling much, much better than yesterday. Going to have breakfast soon and then I'll see how I feel.
    that is GREAT news about feeling better. That's exactly how it worked for me.

    I find walking is always great, and then some resistance exercises (or in my case hot Yoga) is very helpful. It makes HUGE metabolic changes. While more than that in terms of intense exercise can increase cortisol levels and not be so good.

    Coconut oil contains capric and caprylic acid which are the fatty acids that are MCTs. This seems pretty good about MCT:

    Article 10612-Coconut Oil and Medium-Chain Triglicerides

    but MCT oil is 100% those while coconut oil is supposedly 2/3 MCTs. Coconut oil is fine, maybe better than MCT as it has a lot of other good stuff in it!

  5. #205
    MarissaLinnea's Avatar
    MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    that is GREAT news about feeling better. That's exactly how it worked for me.

    I find walking is always great, and then some resistance exercises (or in my case hot Yoga) is very helpful. It makes HUGE metabolic changes. While more than that in terms of intense exercise can increase cortisol levels and not be so good.

    Coconut oil contains capric and caprylic acid which are the fatty acids that are MCTs. This seems pretty good about MCT:

    Article 10612-Coconut Oil and Medium-Chain Triglicerides

    but MCT oil is 100% those while coconut oil is supposedly 2/3 MCTs. Coconut oil is fine, maybe better than MCT as it has a lot of other good stuff in it!
    I will up the resistance exercises and see how I feel. Admittedly, I have done a bit of cardio still. Old habits are hard to break, but I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that it really isn't helping me at all right now.

    Just had a breakfast of 600 cals instead of my usual 400-500. So far right now feeling good.

  6. #206
    richard's Avatar
    richard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I will up the resistance exercises and see how I feel. Admittedly, I have done a bit of cardio still. Old habits are hard to break, but I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that it really isn't helping me at all right now.

    Just had a breakfast of 600 cals instead of my usual 400-500. So far right now feeling good.
    Yeah, this is really great news. I'm thrilled. It is a good trend.

    One thing I have noticed recently is I just focus better. And I don't find my brain shutting down as often. It's strange but things that I had trouble keeping my eyes open for don't put me to sleep that way anymore.

    I'm reading The Longevity Project by Friedman and Martin. About the long lived people in this fascinating 60 year study. And the conclusions are like this:

    1. Being active in your middle age is a great predictor of lasting health

    2. Activity meaning things you enjoy -- walking, hiking, gardening, whatever. But not the "tons of cardio" or "jogging" that people think they need. Actually that doesn't help much at all.

    Beyond that, I do think there is evidence that occasional intense but short bouts of exercise are wonderful for us. In my Yoga class we have some really intense poses that drive my heart rate up near maximum. But they don't last very long. And I find great benefit as I went on a 5 hour difficult hike and with only 3 times a week Yoga I was able to hold my own (although very sore for 3 days afterwards).

    I also stand up when I work much of the time. I have a standing desk and I only sit when I am doing intense creative work. I think a lot of low level activity coupled with occasional bouts of intense exercise are a great way to live.

  7. #207
    dob's Avatar
    dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I will up the resistance exercises and see how I feel. Admittedly, I have done a bit of cardio still. Old habits are hard to break, but I think I'm coming to terms with the fact that it really isn't helping me at all right now.

    Just had a breakfast of 600 cals instead of my usual 400-500. So far right now feeling good.
    SO glad you're feeling better. Tweak, adjust, adapt, and you'll find your zone. Happy for you!

  8. #208
    dob's Avatar
    dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    that is GREAT news about feeling better. That's exactly how it worked for me.

    I find walking is always great, and then some resistance exercises (or in my case hot Yoga) is very helpful. It makes HUGE metabolic changes. While more than that in terms of intense exercise can increase cortisol levels and not be so good.

    Coconut oil contains capric and caprylic acid which are the fatty acids that are MCTs. This seems pretty good about MCT:

    Article 10612-Coconut Oil and Medium-Chain Triglicerides

    but MCT oil is 100% those while coconut oil is supposedly 2/3 MCTs. Coconut oil is fine, maybe better than MCT as it has a lot of other good stuff in it!
    Richard is always giving great advice and I agree MCT Oil is amazing. If I could add one thing..it's that MCT oil can be difficult to tolerate for some. So if you decide to try it, start slow and add incrementally.

  9. #209
    richard's Avatar
    richard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    394
    one thing I have noted is if I consume fat too fast I get queasy. I consumed an avocado pretty fast and I don't feel that great. I have to eat more slowly and be more careful about fat as it is taking my digestion some time to catch up.

  10. #210
    dob's Avatar
    dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles Area
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    one thing I have noted is if I consume fat too fast I get queasy. I consumed an avocado pretty fast and I don't feel that great. I have to eat more slowly and be more careful about fat as it is taking my digestion some time to catch up.
    I don't have the same problem with avocados, but I do with fat in general. i tend to do better when I eat my fat with meals.

Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •