Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 20

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    very sorry to hear. All I can suggest beyond what I have, is that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I felt horrible for almost two weeks.
    Is it possible that I'm not eating enough carbs? Some days I don't even hit 20g of carb.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Is it possible that I'm not eating enough carbs? Some days I don't even hit 20g of carb.
    I would again recommend salt. Drinking sea salt in water can feel really good. And increasing fat. How much fat are you eating? You may not be getting enough? If even chicken broth can be made it might really help!

I would again recommend salt. Drinking sea salt in water can feel really good. And increasing fat. How much fat are you eating? You may not be getting enough? If even chicken broth can be made it might really help!
    Probably eating around 120g fat a day, or there abouts. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes less. I had broth this morning that was very salty and it didn't help.

Probably eating around 120g fat a day, or there abouts. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes less. I had broth this morning that was very salty and it didn't help.
    120 X 9 = 1080 calories, not that much. But of course we can't adapt to fat too quickly as we have to gear up our digestive systems also...

have you tried an IF for maybe 18 hours? That was what resulted in my turning the corner...

120 X 9 = 1080 calories, not that much. But of course we can't adapt to fat too quickly as we have to gear up our digestive systems also...

have you tried an IF for maybe 18 hours? That was what resulted in my turning the corner...
    I haven't tried IF, no. I'm a little wary of that because I don't want to trigger any binge behavior which I have trouble with in the past. IF never worked very well for me in the past. Maybe I will up the fat a bit. It's quite possible that I'm not eating enough. Only eating 1600 a day.

I haven't tried IF, no. I'm a little wary of that because I don't want to trigger any binge behavior which I have trouble with in the past. IF never worked very well for me in the past. Maybe I will up the fat a bit. It's quite possible that I'm not eating enough. Only eating 1600 a day.
    in many studies they did IF for a bit and that got things going, but there may be reasons why that wouldn't work for everyone, that's for sure! 1600 isn't much. I was in ketosis but not feeling good. Are you in ketosis? If you are, then IF may be okay, but who knows, you know best and maybe it isn't good for you. But for me, I found that in ketosis, I still felt crappy, but the IF got things going and got me feeling good. Just a survey of one, doesn't mean much.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Exercise a bit less, eat a bit more and relax a little on the carbs, you can go up to 50g, maybe even a bit more if you are doing exercise, some peoples body's just need a little more time to adapt than others.
    I don't think enough people consider where they are coming from, fully healthy it takes a couple of weeks, but if your starting point is back a few notches because of long term health conditions, then it could be months, so have a good listen to your body and it will tell you what's right.
    Bone broths are great, I just keep all roast bone fragments in a freezer container, then when there's enough I make up a big pot.
    Never used much salt in the past, but have increased my intake since going Paleo.

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Feeling worse today. Stomach ache and very, very low energy. I really want to get through this tough spot but it's really hard.
    Sorry to hear you continue to be in this funk. Keep at it. Are you taking a multivitamin?

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Hi Marissa, I hope when you read this, you're feeling amazing!!

Just to add a point re: IF, I've seen so many individuals modify it to meet their own needs. Eat one large meal a day or eat a couple of meals within a certain period of time and wait 14-18 hours for the next meal. I've seen some consider a 12 hour break between last and first meal IF. I just don't want you to think that IF is eating one meal a day.

Currently, I eat two meals a day between 11-6. Since my meals are close together, i feel satisfied. It kind of happened naturally. I normally ate at the times we were conditioned to, but eventually I would wait an hour to see how I felt, which would turn into two and so on. At this time, two meals is my minimum. (don't know how anyone can eat just one meal, but that's just me).

One thing to consider, our body's hunger signals can be mistaken for our body's need for water. After my last meal, I've experienced hunger, but a drink of water seems to do the trick. It really works for me.

Regarding calories...if you feel like increasing it will make you feel better, give it a shot. Just increase calories systematically, 50 at a time, and stick with your ketosis protocols.

Are taking a multivitamin? that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steph1ani1e View Post
    I want to get enough protein to be healthy.
    apparently the body doesn't use more protein or less protein very readily -- it's protein metabolism is pretty fixed it seems. At least in the shorter run and maybe for the longer run. So eating more protein isn't going to get you to use more.

I think this is *the* issue with Atkins and low carb diets -- they haven't worked because we consume too much protein. Protein activates a lof of the same leptin and insulin and mTOR paths (don't I sound like I know what I'm talking about, lol)

We can't store carbs as such, beyond maybe 20 hours or so of glyocogen, and we all know now that excess carbs are often stored as fat. And we know that we can store fat,

But we don't store protein.

One of the huge benefits of moderating protein is that the body's cells are more in a catabolic mode -- they are digesting their own excess protein and waste protein. This seems to have enormous benefit.

This is autophagy defined as:
    Autophagy is the recycling of cytoplasmic components (including mitochondria, when the process is known as mitophagy) that are either dysfunctional or surplus to requirements by means of their engulfment by autophagic vacuoles that then fuse with lysosomes. Autophagy becomes particularly important during starvation of cells as a means to recycle amino acids for synthesis of critical proteins, and perhaps also to recycle cellular components for use as catabolic fuels.
    It is thought that autophagy down-regulation is associated with all sorts of problems. In the brain, with Altzheimers for instance. Autophagy is enormously helpful and to trigger it, we have to moderate both carbs AND protein. Protein beyond our body's immediate needs should not be consumed if we want our bodys to be more catabolic more often.

Page 20 of 69 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast