Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 2

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    for the per-day goal, I'm going with 0.8g per pound of body mass but I'm not really measuring that much. I am keeping protein down to around 60 or 80g per day (I weigh 178 pounds). I want to stay in deep ketosis for now. Then I can raise the level up a bit and see where that takes me. If I feel crappy I'll test increasing it.

I am almost 100% sure my attempts to eat better were sabotaged in the past with overly high protein portions and the trick now is to replace that with fat instead and make it a lifestyle.
    I weigh about 160 right now, my lean body mass is probably around 120 or 130? When I get down to 140 I'm very thin (a size 4), but I have a lot of muscle and have a medium build, so I tend to weigh more than the average female that is my height I think. But even so, that puts me at 96g of protein per day which I still feel is too high so I'll probably shoot for around 60-70g per day and see how I feel. I think I'll have to transition a little slower over the next few days to eating that much fat. I don't want to get sick to my stomach, lol!!

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    I weigh about 160 right now, my lean body mass is probably around 120 or 130? When I get down to 140 I'm very thin (a size 4), but I have a lot of muscle and have a medium build, so I tend to weigh more than the average female that is my height I think. But even so, that puts me at 96g of protein per day which I still feel is too high so I'll probably shoot for around 60-70g per day and see how I feel. I think I'll have to transition a little slower over the next few days to eating that much fat. I don't want to get sick to my stomach, lol!!
    It takes the gall bladder and the liver some time to adjust. You don't want to feel sick after consuming fat. And also I find electrolytes, especially sodium, really important and you don't want to feel sick drinking too much salt water.

Making sure I get a lot of fat and salt, though, within these parameters, seems to really help. I felt good today for the first time in 5 days. I didn't feel really bad the rest of the time, but not great.

In the past 5 days, a bit of just feeling malaise, though not to cold or flu levels, and just feeling tired. But today I feel great. Enough fat and sodium really pay off.

It takes the gall bladder and the liver some time to adjust. You don't want to feel sick after consuming fat. And also I find electrolytes, especially sodium, really important and you don't want to feel sick drinking too much salt water.

Making sure I get a lot of fat and salt, though, within these parameters, seems to really help. I felt good today for the first time in 5 days. I didn't feel really bad the rest of the time, but not great.

In the past 5 days, a bit of just feeling malaise, though not to cold or flu levels, and just feeling tired. But today I feel great. Enough fat and sodium really pay off.
    I have no gallbladder. But yes I agree, every time I go really low carb it's important to get plenty of salt. It can make all the difference between sometimes.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    are you sensitive to raw as well as cooked whites? I'm starting to suspect I have intolerance of eggs but yolks in mayo don't seem to bother me at all (they are uncooked -- but I have never thought about the idea of being sensitive only to whites so that doesn't really demonstrate anything.)
    I don't think raw egg whites are healthy to eat, so I've never eaten them. I used to be only able to eat maybe 1 egg a day on average. Going higher than that (like eating 2 eggs 2 days in a row) would cause me to react. I ended up eating 6 egg yolks a day for about a week and not reacting at all.

Egg sensitivity experiment

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Hi Richard,

Here is a link to our NK thread. I personally follow Dr. Rosedale's recommendations, but others have taken different paths. The thread has a lot of good information.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77549.html
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Zach is offline Banned
    Sugar is needed for the conversion of t4 to t3. Going LC for hypothyroid is a big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Sugar is needed for the conversion of t4 to t3. Going LC for hypothyroid is a big mistake.
    Who said anything about going LC for hypothyroid?

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    No health expert would advocate the approach that you are suggesting and for good reason. Overly demonizing any of the three main macros is counter productive. You need protein to build tissue include muscles, you need carbohydrates for glycogen, and you need fats so you can get your fat soluble vitamins. I could go on at length but the work has already been done and posted on here if you look for it. Mark just did a writeup on protein needs for example.

My advice is to use the information on here to find a healthy balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrates from healthy primal sources (eg avoiding grains, soy, and bad oils). This site was never intended to foster dietary extremism and pursuing extremism is liable to have health ramifications later. Please be careful and your millage may vary.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    No health expert would advocate the approach that you are suggesting and for good reason. Overly demonizing any of the three main macros is counter productive. You need protein to build tissue include muscles, you need carbohydrates for glycogen, and you need fats so you can get your fat soluble vitamins. I could go on at length but the work has already been done and posted on here if you look for it. Mark just did a writeup on protein needs for example.

My advice is to use the information on here to find a healthy balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrates from healthy primal sources (eg avoiding grains, soy, and bad oils). This site was never intended to foster dietary extremism and pursuing extremism is liable to have health ramifications later. Please be careful and your millage may vary.
    well, one person may think it is extreme but another does not. Different people have different ways to thrive. I don't believe one size fits all.

And it's impossible to categorize "primal" as just one macro balance. Some primal people ate virtually no carbs. There is no call for labeling something extreme as an absolute. We are all trying to eat primal as we see it -- and it is ALWAYS a diet that today somehow in some way approximates attributes of what we believe "true primal" to be -- and none of us know that.

I already said I haven't done great on a standard primal diet and so I'm trying this.

And by the way, lots of health "experts" advocate very low carb diets. Ron Rosedale comes to mind and there are many others.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    And by the way, lots of health "experts" advocate very low carb diets. Ron Rosedale comes to mind and there are many others.
    Yes, there are health experts, and granted the term is used loosely, that recommend very low fat or very low carb. There are none, however, that recommend very low carb - low protein as your title suggests.

I also have also never said that there is just one healthy macro balance. In fact I believe that one's macro needs depend greatly on the current conditions of one's body, one's activity level, as well as any desired increase or decease in fat and or muscle. That said, there is a difference between a balance and an attempt to greatly increase any one macro while greatly reducing the other two. I am saying that the later is likely to have negative consequences.

Page 2 of 69 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast