Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 19

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Marissa, you're definitely thinking along the right lines. Richard was in a funk for a bit came out flying. I think he's about 4 days ahead of you, so give a few. Hopefully, you'll be flying tomorrow.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dob View Post
    Holy schmoly, What are you doing to increase your lean body mass that much? That's amazing. Tell me your secret recipe.

I lost 1.3 lbs of fat and .23 lbs of lean body mass. Overall, I'm happy with my progress, but maintaining lean body mass is key for me. For this week, i'm going to change my macros by eating more protein and see how my body reacts.
    It might seem impressive but remember that that was a 6 month result. Previously I had done occasional exercise at home (free weights, mainly), but got a deal on a 6 month club membership where I used the Nautilus machines 2-3x a week. I've since moved on to another club and doing free weights (& some machines) 3x a week and a restorative yoga class. Now that the weather has warmed, I'm trying to incorporate more walking into my non-gym days.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

janie is offline Senior Member
    Dob-
    I should also add that I went real slow with adding exercise. I was cautious because as a lifetime non-exerciser, I didn't want to move too fast and cause an injury. Also, I'm older and felt that was a strike against me but I have been surprised that I could build muscle!

Marissa -- you will be moving into the sunshine soon! I think our bodies go through a good bit making this healthy transition into ketosis.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Lost 75# eating low carb (20-40 g) and then MDA primal low carb. Tried many other options but only LC helped me lose weight and improve health. Now at a good weight, I find my body can tolerate a few more carbs but rarely go over 100 g.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Yes, Marissa, any day now! Today I felt really good all day. The funk is gone. It's really cool. Not perfect but awfully good. I expect to have some bad days but no more "carb flu" so far, and pretty high energy levels all day.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I really appreciate it. Still having a case of the "blahs" today, although I did workout, but it was half hearted. I'm wondering if maybe I'm not eating enough calories, but I'm not sure. I'm eating around 1600, sometimes less, there's been a day or two that have been slightly more. Trying to just listen to my body.

Anyone have any ideas? I mean, I'm happy with the weight loss of course but wondering if 1600 is too low. I'm pretty active, besides workouts I'm chasing five kids around all day so I spend a lot of time on my feet. My fitbit tells me that I've burned at least 2500/cals a day, sometimes it's more than that. Thoughts?

what really helps is to have bone broth, Marissa. That can be super helpful in helping you feel better almost immediately. I have bone broth with butter or fat in it, and it works wonders. Have you made this before?

I buy good quality bones (pork, or lamb or beef) and put them in the pressure cooker for 3 hours. Or you can simmer in a slow cooker but it takes a really long time. But there is NOTHING that makes you feel better.

Also, are you getting enough salt? Put good SEA SALT, like 1/2 to 1tspn, in a glass of water, and drink slowly. It can do wonders for your mood instantly.

This evening we went for Korean food. I ate more than I have in a little while, but nowhere NEAR what I would have eaten before. Probably 40g of protein, more than I should have in a sitting, but with a small lunch I had, total of maybe 70g all day. It was delicious, so so good.

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    what really helps is to have bone broth, Marissa. That can be super helpful in helping you feel better almost immediately. I have bone broth with butter or fat in it, and it works wonders. Have you made this before?

I buy good quality bones (pork, or lamb or beef) and put them in the pressure cooker for 3 hours. Or you can simmer in a slow cooker but it takes a really long time. But there is NOTHING that makes you feel better.

Also, are you getting enough salt? Put good SEA SALT, like 1/2 to 1tspn, in a glass of water, and drink slowly. It can do wonders for your mood instantly.

This evening we went for Korean food. I ate more than I have in a little while, but nowhere NEAR what I would have eaten before. Probably 40g of protein, more than I should have in a sitting, but with a small lunch I had, total of maybe 70g all day. It was delicious, so so good.
    I don't have a pressure cooker, so I could make the broth in a slow cooker I suppose. I thought I was getting enough salt, but maybe not. What about store bought broth with coconut oil or something? Sourcing good bones will be difficult for me. Then again, store broth probably isn't the best either. :/

the salt is easy to fix. It is hard to get too much salt at this stage especially if you are drinking water when you are thirsty. Make sure it's sea salt though.

Store bought broth isn't the same. Even crummy bones are okay. Bone broth is REALLY helpful. Chicken can be used although four legged animal bones are much better.

Feeling worse today. Stomach ache and very, very low energy. I really want to get through this tough spot but it's really hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Feeling worse today. Stomach ache and very, very low energy. I really want to get through this tough spot but it's really hard.
    very sorry to hear. All I can suggest beyond what I have, is that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I felt horrible for almost two weeks.

Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast