Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 16

dob
    dob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    "Egyption grok" is supposedly a teenaged girl pole vaulter from Egypt who is always trying anorexic diets, and though living in a country where lamb is very common, has supposedly never had the opportunity to taste it. All sorts of bizarre things happen with her.
    I didn't know that. thanks.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Well, ended my day today 31g of protein over goal. Not stressing about it, had a tough workout today and I was hungry for more meat, so I ate it.

janie is online now Senior Member
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am finding this very interesting as I recently read Nora Gedgaudas' warnings about eating too much protein. I'd been trying to eat a higher percentage of protein because I'm trying to build a bit more muscle, but found my body not wanting it. Am currently attempting Gedgaudas's recommendation of .8g of protein per kg of ideal body weight, which is much, much less than what I was attempting to have.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    If you want to use your proteins effectively, don't forget to SLEEP A LOT the night after a heavy work-out! That's when the body repair and recovery happen ...

richard is offline Senior Member
    I probably had 80g of protein yesterday, and I weigh 79Kg. Probably a bit high but OTOH I'm still in the keto adaptation period and it isn't extremely high.

I have read now that consuming MCT oil lets you stay highly ketogenic with higher protein loads. But there is no question in my mind that moderate or low protein is the way to go, as many studies show a ketogenic diet with high protein doesn't provide the benefits. I was specifically reading of cancer studies showing a low protein ketogenic diet is extremely good for killing off cancer cells. Higher protein means among other things higher glutamine, and this is one of the fuels that cancer cells can use.

I have never had cancer to my knowledge, but I think the idea of minimizing blood sugars is very favorable to living a long time in a very healthy way. In fact, in a study I never knew about, blood sugars were found to be very low and people felt fine, so long as they had decent blood ketone levels.

One thing I am eager to find out, is related to brain function on ketones. The brain has a finite reserve of fuel for making decisions and suppressing impulses (willpower). This fuel is replenished, in studies, with a glucose feed. I'm wondering if I am keto-adapted, if my brain has a much LARGER reserve of fuel for decisions and willpower. I am EXTREMELY interested in this question.

I'm planning on fasting until 2PM today, but drinking butter tea with MCT oil. I'm not really hungry right now, although i could eat for sure. I consumed some butter tea and MCT oil and it made me feel slightly hungry. Interesting...it isn't supposed to, as fats don't trigger leptin or insulin response. But it does a little.

Guess I'll drink another

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I am finding this very interesting as I recently read Nora Gedgaudas' warnings about eating too much protein. I'd been trying to eat a higher percentage of protein because I'm trying to build a bit more muscle, but found my body not wanting it. Am currently attempting Gedgaudas's recommendation of .8g of protein per kg of ideal body weight, which is much, much less than what I was attempting to have.
    The protein needs of the body are apparently not rapidly changeable.

Also: if you consume more protein than it is using, the protein will be metabolized and not used for muscle.

Apparently, this is a big reason why we need time for keto-adaptation as gluconeogenesis takes time to kick in, and is not a metabolic pathway that responds very fast to immediate glucose needs.

So I imagine that it takes time for your body to be able to be in a position to use the extra protein in muscle. And consuming more protein than your body can immediately use isn't a good idea, as there is no mechanism I am aware of for protein storage.

janie is online now Senior Member
    I've been keto-adapted for over four years. Ketosis is how I lost those 75 pounds and how I've maintained the loss. But when I started working out at the gym, I was told by many that I needed to eat more protein. I found my body simply didn't want the higher amount I was aiming for and now with more reading, I'm testing out the amount I mentioned ..so far, so good.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    I've been keto-adapted for over four years. Ketosis is how I lost those 75 pounds and how I've maintained the loss. But when I started working out at the gym, I was told by many that I needed to eat more protein. I found my body simply didn't want the higher amount I was aiming for and now with more reading, I'm testing out the amount I mentioned ..so far, so good.
    that's incredible. I'm so happy to hear about your success. It is inspiring.

Building more muscle is a funny thing. Back in "the day" (before my time that's for sure) the weightlifters didn't use drugs or steroids and some of the record setting power lifting records were set by little guys. And the fact is, there is a type of strength that you see in some people that isn't connected to muscle mass, but rather to the type of muscle, I suppose the muscle fiber types.

Not sure how much pure muscle mass has to do with strength, is all I'm saying.

I think the amount of protein you are working with now makes a lot of sense. And I think if you are "protein hungry" you'll know it because your body is giving you the right signals now, not being so messed up.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    At 2, I ate about 25g of lamb in about 2 tablespoons of home made may (one egg yolk), probably 35g of protein, and a bit of salad with nothing but lettuce and cucumber, plus maybe 12 pistachios (have to watch these, they are loaded with omega 6).

I was hungry but not super hungry. I am pretty ketogenic right now, I could have gone all day without eating really.

Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast