Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's joining me? Very Low Carb - Low Protein - Support Thread page 10

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I don't have my book with me to fish out the citations, but in the original PHD they link low insulin diets to a lot of good things. Improved immune response, longevity, reduced risk of alzheimers are a few I remember off the top of my head. Of course I could use some google to argue my point, but I thought by now everyone just knew this stuff. This is something that you can manipulate with meal timing as well and why eating windows and IF'ing tend to show some of the same general positive effects as low carb diets. The mechanisms are there.

Being anabolic all the time (insulin) may be great for putting on weight, but its not exactly been shown to improve health or longevity.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-27-2013 at 07:40 PM.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I don't have my book with me to fish out the citations, but in the original PHD they link low insulin diets to a lot of good things. Improved immune response, longevity, reduced risk of alzheimers are a few I remember off the top of my head. Of course I could use some google to argue my point, but I thought by now everyone just knew this stuff. This is something that you can manipulate with meal timing as well and why eating windows and IF'ing tend to show some of the same general positive effects as low carb diets. The mechanisms are there.
    Do they really link low-insulin diets with good things? Or is it yet another baseless confounding factor? A "low insulin" diet would also be a diet free of grains, legumes, most processed foods (cake, cookies, crackers, frozen pasta dinners, etc) which also tend to be laced with seed oils, and due to limited menu options, probably more home-cooked meals. They also tend to be richer in meats and vegetables, which everyone seems to agree is healthier.

All these anti-carbohydrate epidemiology studies never seem to have a control group where they eat very lean meats, fruits and tubers with no grains or seed/fish oils. I will take a diet of lean red meat, dairy, coconut, fruit and tubers any day with the majority of calories coming from carbohydrate than any other diet.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    What makes people fat is being sedentary and overeating.
    The problem is that people who are overweight are lazy gluttons. End of story. Proven by ChocoTaco.

Far as low carb being less effective then regular carb for lean mass and weight loss that well here you go.... heck your the one who pointed us towards a trial showing ketogenic dieters fared at least as well if not better than non-keto dieters eating the same calories and protein.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    All these anti-carbohydrate epidemiology studies never seem to have a control group where they eat very lean meats, fruits and tubers with no grains or seed/fish oils. I will take a diet of lean red meat, dairy, coconut, fruit and tubers any day with the majority of calories coming from carbohydrate than any other diet.

Uhh..... well yeah, by definition most epidemiological study doesn't contain a control group. Take what you want... but there is a great deal of evidence that your diet isn't the only optimal path.

I'll take a diet of high animal fat meat, bones, and organs augmented with whatever plants add taste and pleasure.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-27-2013 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The problem is that people who are overweight are lazy gluttons. End of story. Proven by ChocoTaco.
    Huh? Inactivity is generally a side effect of obesity, not the other way around. People who are overweight are usually deficient in fat soluble vitamins and have a slow thyroid from said deficiency. When people lean out they typically want to get up and move. I feel like shit if I sit for more than an hour. I need to get up and move.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Far as low carb being less effective then regular carb for lean mass and weight loss that well here you go.... heck your the one who pointed us towards a trial showing ketogenic dieters fared at least as well if not better than non-keto dieters eating the same calories and protein.
    It was the other way around. The people that ate around half their calories from carbs on the same calories outperformed the ketogenic group, though it wasn't statistically significant. The keto group had a higher protein intake as well, which is interesting. The end result is that CICO is absolutely true in every event, but a diet that promotes a robust thyroid is going to improve the 'CO' part of the equation.

Uhh..... well yeah, by definition most epidemiological study doesn't contain a control group. Take what you want... but there is a great deal of evidence that your diet isn't the only optimal path.

I'll take a diet of high animal fat meat, bones, and organs augmented with whatever plants add taste and pleasure.
    I don't think there is an optimal path, but I am very confident that low carbohydrate diets are absolutely not optimal and that carbohydrate is a superior fuel than fat.

richard is offline Senior Member
    I'll be monitoring my allergies today. Started a bit of sneezing in the morning. So already it's a bit more allergenic than yesterday.

This morning I began the day with butter tea augmented with coconut oil and MCT oil. Dr. Bronner's (of soap fame) sells a very high quality coconut oil that I bought at Whole Paycheck yesterday and I'm using that along with grassfed butter and a bit of MCT Oil. I think starting the day this way is a key to making the whole day a lot better in terms of eating instead of jumping to full on protein right away, which made me hungry yesterday.

egyption grok is offline Senior Member
    guys i was wondering why u had stated to consume alot of salt, is it something needed when ur going very low carb?
    and ooo i still cant seem to keep protein down so much but i have lowered it by 20g i think i will try to lower it more but anyways i weight lift does that make a diffrence? (im a girl and protein is at 110g while lifting ,80g the days im not)

Page 10 of 69 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast