Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triceps, Bingo Wings and Flabby Upper Arms in General. page

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member

Triceps, Bingo Wings and Flabby Upper Arms in General.

Primal Fuel
    I wasn't sure whether to put this in fitness or nutrition so I put it in here. Apologies if it is in the wrong place.

OK so I know fat loss needs to be gradual (and it is happening), I also know that saggy skin is a fact of life once it is there and finally I know that spot reduction of specific fat does not happen.

BUT, I am performing in a cabaret in 5.5 wks and then going on holiday for two weeks immediately after that. I am 38, a mother, with two small children and put on a fair bit of weight and lost a lot of muscle tone due to illness (hypermobility syndrome aka EDS type over the last few years). I have reversed that with primal, dance, yoga and now strength training (early days of strength training) - the fat is coming off (gradually) and the muscle is coming back. All good. But I hate my upper arms and need to be able to feel confident and sexy in a strappy dress for this cabaret and then confident enough to not have to cover my arms up if it's hot when we're on holiday.

So what can I do to visibly improve the appearance (hey and a bit of strength would be nice too!) of my bingo wings area in 5 weeks? I am already working on press-ups, astanga yoga, chin-ups and my dancing is good for arm strength too, and I can see and feel the difference in my biceps which is great :-) But it's not making any difference that I can see to the bingo wings.

Even though I can't avoid saggy skin and I can't spot reduce the fat, I am assuming that I could improve their appearance somewhat by building the right muscles. I presume it's the triceps I need to be tackling? Has anyone had any good results by strength training for this area? If so, what would you recommend? I'd prefer to do body weight exercises or ones that use stuff that I have around the house as I don't really want to have to pay for weights at the moment. Getting to a gym is not practical at the moment.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    If you aren't already quite strong, efforts to induce hypertrophy (gain muscle mass) will be really tough.

In the timescale you're talking about, surgery is the only real option that will have a major impact.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But you said it yourself, and I'll repeat it: You can't spot-reduce fat.

Sob!!!

So how come my biceps are improving so fast? I can see as well as feel a big difference in just a few weeks. Are biceps just much easier to tone or something?

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    You just have to go out there and own it. If you feel fabulous you will look fabulous. No one is there to pick your arms apart. They are there to watch a dance. I know easier said than done, I've had arm issues since I looked down in church in 8th grade and realized arm fat was showing. Don't waste time on the look of your arms, spend time enjoying that you are out there dancing and having fun. Something you couldn't do before.

If it will make you feel better, do some push-ups and tricep dips. If you can safely do it, lower your carbs to 40-60 grams..it might burn a little extra fat while you tone. Don't make yourself miserable.

Have fun!
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

CaveBug is online now Senior Member
    Hahahaha! Sorry, I completely sympathize with you but I've never heard "Bingo Wings" before, I know them as "Bat Wings".

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think chin-ups will work your biceps more than the backs of your arms which is probably why you see more change there. Since I have been doing bench and overhead presses, I have seen improvement in the flabbiness of my upper arms. It took more than 5 weeks for me to see improvement, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Maybe Bingo Wings is a British term?

I'm singing in the concert. The dancing is just for fun. Believe me noone wants to pay to watch me dance yet! Unless they are up for a laugh. But yes I take your point!

I wonder if bench presses would work with my 3 year old as a weight?

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I agree that you probably don't have enough time to make a difference for the cabaret. But tricep dips are a good way to start working on your Bingo Wings. This video demonstrates proper form.

Tricep Dips - YouTube

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I second the tricep dips suggestion - push-ups, too. I play racquet sports - that's good for arm definition too

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks - will give those ago. Might do some before and after pics so I can tell if there's a visible difference by the cabaret!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast