Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triceps, Bingo Wings and Flabby Upper Arms in General. page 2

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yes, your 3 year old is great for bench press and leg presses. She'll love it!
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I started losing weight in June of last year and have lost 55 pounds by this point. I have about 14 pounds to go. At my highest I was about 15 pounds heavier. And I have always had heavier-than-average upper arms, even when I was younger and not much overweight. Although the saggage on my wing flaps has gradually improved, it was only now that I could honestly say when looking at a photo of me in a bathing suit from behind with my arms down that my upper arms had stopped looking deflated.

I doubt they will ever reach the point where there is no loose skin at all, but when I reach my goal (and give it some more time for natural shrinkage) I may decide I am satisfied.

Of course, I don't have EDS, so my results are probably better than what you might expect.

I think it's going to take years before you see maximum improvement. And surgery is not an option at this point. It takes months of awkward bandaging and limited mobility to recover from surgery, and many months more for the scars to fade.

Long sleeves. It's the best option.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it will take some time. I like those see-thru nylon chiffon tops in the meantime. Very sexy!

Do pushups! Once you get strong enough, get your 3 year old to sit on your back. Safer than trying to "benchpress" a child.
    That way you will strengthen your core, back, shoulders, pecs AND triceps.

Triceps are a smaller muscle, so they take a bit longer to see results. We use our biceps all the time (for eating!)

Remember to give yourself recovery time. Muscles grow when resting after being worked. So take a couple of days off between lift days. You need a bit more recovery time at age 38, than a 20 year old does.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Just so y'all don't think I'm a crazy parent bench pressing my children. I used to do it laying on the carpeted floor, with a pillow where my kid might fall. Which, neither ever did, I quit doing it once it got to where I couldn't do it with confidence. It was really more about letting the kids "fly" than for my exercise. She just mentioned having a three year old, so I figure 2 birds.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I did try it with my three year old earlier. She's quite petite and she obligingly curled up in a ball to make it less wobbly. She thought it was hilarious. And yes we were doing it on a carpeted floor and with her being quite light and curled up there really was no danger of my dropping her. So I think I can carry on with that.

I do lots of planks and am working hard on my push ups - but they feel like they are working my biceps, not my triceps. I might try to do more side planks.

I wouldn't consider surgery - it's not my kind of thing, I don't think I could justify it even if I could afford it (I can't), and I am absolutely not keen on general anaesthetics - consider surgery a last resort even for important stuff. And surgery never tends to work well on EDSsers anyway. So if I can't conquer these bingo wings with diet, exercise and patience then I'm stuck with them. Might as well give it a try though!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I wasn't worried about the three year old, lol! Kids bounce.

But the shoulder joint is pretty flexible/fragile & it's not a great a idea IMO to lift anything for weight training that can wiggle on its own (speaking as a former personal trainer, here.) Obviously, you will be lifting your kids anyway for fun/play!

I have seen too many rotator cuff injuries, perhaps!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    it's not a great a idea IMO to lift anything for weight training that can wiggle on its own
    Oh man, now I have to return my shakeweight.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    Oh don't tell my husband that. One of my biggest motivators, both in trying to lose fat myself and making my husband build muscle is so that he can carry me upstairs when I fall asleep on the sofa and can't be bothered tr walk there myself!

Quote Originally Posted by freerangepiglings View Post
    Oh don't tell my husband that. One of my biggest motivators, both in trying to lose fat myself and making my husband build muscle is so that he can carry me upstairs when I fall asleep on the sofa and can't be bothered tr walk there myself!
    Well there is a bit of a difference ergonomically between benchpressing a potentially wiggly 3 year old and carrying a body close to your chest.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    Re: feeling like push-ups work your biceps more, do tricep push-ups. Move your hands no more than shoulder width apart and make sure your palms are directly under your shoulders - when you go down to the push up, your elbows should brush your sides. That will move the focus to the tricep - they are tough! look it up on youtube, there are variations. Any tricep move you are doing, try pull your elbows in - its easy to let them splay out, which won't work the muscle properly.
    Last edited by Zanna; 04-25-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12