Thread: Food adapted page

biko is offline Senior Member

Food adapted

Shop Now
    Aren't we just food adapted instead of ............ adapted or ............ burners?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    We're not a furnace. When someone says we're adapted to something, it means the metabolic pathway for turning that thing into energy is turned on.

So having the metabolic pathway turned on for making pyruvate from beta-hydroxybutyrate to generate ATP via the Krebs cycle would be ketoadaptation. Does that make sense?

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    We're not a furnace. When someone says we're adapted to something, it means the metabolic pathway for turning that thing into energy is turned on.

So having the metabolic pathway turned on for making pyruvate from beta-hydroxybutyrate to generate ATP via the Krebs cycle would be ketoadaptation. Does that make sense?
    Don't we become keto-adapted shortly after birth? Save for birth and genetic defects, we use ketones almost immediately after being born... And glucose.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Don't we become keto-adapted shortly after birth? Save for birth and genetic defects, we use ketones almost immediately after being born... And glucose.
    Yes, you're born basically in a state of ketosis. And you always use some glucose, since red blood cells are anaerobic and there's a small need for glucose in the brain (although at birth, your brain is mostly running on ketones).

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yes, you're born basically in a state of ketosis. And you always use some glucose, since red blood cells are anaerobic and there's a small need for glucose in the brain (although at birth, your brain is mostly running on ketones).

Are you sure?

Postnatal Energy Metabolism

The brain is unable to oxidize free fatty acids directly and therefore relies on glucose. Fat can be oxidized indirectly, after conversion to ketone bodies, if the concentration is high enough. The ability of the newborn liver to generate large amounts of ketone bodies is not present at birth and takes several days to develop. The maintenance of cerebral metabolism on an acute basis is therefore dependent on liver glycogen stores and gluconeogenesis in the liver and the kidney.

- Oski's Pediatrics: Principles And Practice, Julia A. MacMillan, Ralph David Feigin, Catherine D. De Angelis, M. Douglas Jones, Jr.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Are you sure?
    Hmm. Not sure where exactly where I read that, but I know I've seen it a few places.
    Here's a source that says the use of ketones rises from very low to very high through the first 12 hours after birth.
    Will keep you updated if I come across any of my other cites.

http://brainfuels.com/2010/01/ketosi...uman-newborns/