I live in a rural county, on a dirt road, way back in the trees. In the winter, I tend to use the great outdoors as a giant backup fridge-freezer on occasion. I have learned in the past clutch of years out here that there are critters and wildlife in these woods that avail themselves at every opportunity of the morsels I leave out on this fashion that aren't protected enough. (Sounds obvious, but I was urban before this and didn't know country life ways.)

Usually I leave things in a giant cooler or in cast-metal pots with equally heavy cast lids, both on our covered porch, to be retrieved at the next a.m. This past season a critter (I suspect a 'coon) actually managed to lift the lid on a pot and eat the entire fat layer off the top of a big BBQ-rubbed pork butt I had slow-roasted in the oven. Roast was not savaged, just the fat layer and a bit of underlying meat was neatly eaten away, and the lid was about 6 feet distant from the pot.

Question - what would you do with the remaining huge roast??

I grew up poor, my parents themselves grew up poor, and we just washed everything off if anything accidentally hit the floor, and just cut off smushy ends of produce, and scraped off funny layers of stuff to get at what was still edible. In fact, I think my entire extended family on one side got by on what most folks would pitch in some dumpster, now that I think on it a bit.

On the other hand, I have a brother-in-law who will throw his entire plate full of food away if a single stray pet hair finds its way into his dinner (at home and his pets, not talking about eating out). And my best friend's father once threw away all the perfectly ripe home-gardened sweet corn a raccoon had taken one single bite of, meaning a number of ears where the raccoon made one bite before going to the next ear (he actually saw it and went after the animal with a .22 in response).

So - if we stick to home-fires, where do you all draw the line at inadvertently sharing food with your pets, farm animals, and opportunistic wildlife? Experiences? I once reclaimed a one-pound custom-cut aged-beef T-bone steak from my cat who flew across the counter and ran like hell with it the second I crossed the kitchen to get a cooking utensil - but that was my indoor cat.