Thread: another question about chocolate and cocoa page

suse1023 is offline Junior Member

another question about chocolate and cocoa

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading that the best bars are the 90 and 99 per cent bars and I've also read that cocao butter is fabulous for you. so wouldn't that mean milk chocolate would be better for us as long as it is sugar free?
    I have unsweetened chocolate bars in the freezer and raw organic cocoa butter in the cabinet.
    i'm wondering why they were separated now! what am I missing?!

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Cocoa is a fruit seed with oily and solid components.
    cocoa butter = oils
    white chocolate = oils + added sugar
    cocoa powder = solids
    dark chocolate = oils + solids
    milk chocolate = (less) oils + (less) solids + added sugar

I don't think "sugar free milk chocolate" is a thing (not counting maltitol etc.) The unsweetened bars contain everything good in the seed, just heated and blended to be more edible. Cocoa butter makes an specialized cooking/baking fat or topical cream but is missing the magnesium/antioxidants/etc of the cocoa solids. You could probably blend it with powder to make chocolate.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    The cacao content is what's good for you. Sugar free milk chocolate doesn't necessarily contain a high cacao content, and likely contains artificial sweeteners, which is why they're usually avoided by those of us who try to avoid artificial ingredients. Your cocoa butter is probably separated, natural oils will do that. You might want to refrigerate it and stir it up. Cocoa butter is NOT cacao, don't confuse the two.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suse1023 View Post
    I've been reading that the best bars are the 90 and 99 per cent bars and I've also read that cocao butter is fabulous for you. so wouldn't that mean milk chocolate would be better for us as long as it is sugar free?
    Anything above 70% is worth it but, yes, the higher the percentage the better. However, you should avoid dark chocolate with any form of milk because there are some studies that show milk binds to polyphenols in chocolate making them ineffective/unavailable; and I don't think a little sugar will hurt you.
    Last edited by Darz; 04-24-2013 at 03:54 AM.