Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chicken/turkey? page

Lynx33 is offline Member

chicken/turkey?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does anyone here not like chicken or turkey? Its hard for me to eat chicken breast...so dry and bland. I like chicken wings or drums though. Turkey is the same, I made a bunch of turkey burgers but can't get myself to finish them, its so nasty, the smell especially.

Paleobird Guest
    Blech. I agree. I don't eat poultry with the exception of wild game birds. Those have some flavor.

I enjoy them, but consider them less preferable than ruminants or wild fish. And since I buy primarily from pastured, sustainable permaculture farms, the pricing is >>> CAFO crap poultry. So it really is an indulgence. When I do get some good quality chicken or turkey, you can damn well believe it has some flavor, unlike Perdue, Tyson, ad nauseam. Pricing, but also flavor >>> CAFO birdies.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I like a good roast turkey done by someone who knows what they are doing. But chicken? Bleh.

Give me some roast veal or lamb any day.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I really only eat them when cooked whole bird style. Especially in the smoker. Mmmmmm. But lets face it real BBQ slow smoking can make shoe leather taste good.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    When I do get some good quality chicken or turkey, you can damn well believe it has some flavor
    Ditto, my co-op has great local poultry.

There really are two meat industries in the US. There's the assorted interchangeable mystery cubes that chain restaurants and ready-meal manufacturers buy, then there's everything else. Some folks have only tasted the former.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynx33 View Post
    Does anyone here not like chicken or turkey? Its hard for me to eat chicken breast...so dry and bland. I like chicken wings or drums though. Turkey is the same, I made a bunch of turkey burgers but can't get myself to finish them, its so nasty, the smell especially.
    Try chicken thighs. Much better than breast.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    My family prefers the dark meat. I can tolerate breast meat if its been roasted on the bone with the skin on, but boneless-skinless breasts are the skim milk of chicken. Why bother.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Madam is offline Junior Member
    We only eat dark meat when we can get pastured chicken or turkey, definitely has more flavor. I'd love to try duck or goose though. Around here, pastured whole chicken often runs equal to or more per lb than grass fed/finished beef.

CaveBug is online now Senior Member
    I dunno, I think chicken and turkey are good if you do them right. I love chicken curry especially if you do it right and use a bunch of coconut milk to do it. You can absolutely ruin it though, just fry it and add salt. Blech. Grass fed poultry has nice flavor too, try that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast