Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: chicken/turkey? page 2

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It is true that chicken has a bland flavor, particularly the white meat. One of the "good" things about the blandness of white meat is that it takes up the flavors that you cook it in, such as curry, garlic, etc etc. Another thing with white meat is that it does get dry if it is cooked too long. I usually grill chicken breast for the wife because she likes them. I split the breast in half and season it (normally with season salt, garlic and coarse ground pepper), then cook it. 3 minutes, turn 90 degrees to get the "hatch marks", another 3 minutes, flip and repeat. Turns out juicy every time.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I agree poultry is bland and nasty. The texture is way too chewy, I burn more calories trying to eat a chicken than I ingest from it.

Pls don't eat ducks...
    nihil

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I actually like chicken a lot. Slow baked in a clay cooker - it stays moist. Chicken + mushrooms + tomato sauce + parmesan cheese (and garlic, etc.). The carcass makes a nice light broth when beef broth might contribute too much flavor to a dish. I also like it "stir fried" with butter, veggies, and white rice.

I've had duck legs confit, but honestly, the best part of that dish is the fat. It'd be way less expensive to just buy the duck fat and 'confit' chicken legs in it.

Turkey not so much. I can't afford the good ones, so I just don't eat it anymore.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Fresh local chicken from properly raised sources is amazing, even the breasts are tender and taste great. Some chickens you find in stores is so bland it isn't even worth eating without being smothered in some kind of sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Pls don't eat ducks...
    I would never eat duck. I had a pet duck as a child

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Chickens and alike are animal species that we humans have been mistreating SO MUCH for far too long that chicken is very rarely on our plates at home. We do eat chicken when we know for sure that it had an optimal life. But I am all for the eggs, oh yeah, give me eggs

Talking about eggs, here in Denmark, there is a big tradition to eat cod roe (called "torskerogn"). I am not a big fan of it on its own but mixed in an omelet, gently fried in lots of ghee or butter, it is AWESOME!! You get your vitamin and mineral boost in one single giant egg omelet!

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Then you never ate French rillettes (duck meat slowly cooked in duck fat with some shallots and herbs). Best spread ever

My man. My cats always get along great with the ducks from the river bottom by my house.

nihil

My duck looked similar to that and got on also got on well with my cat. It was by far the smartest pet I have ever had, it even knew I was home by the way I opened the gate. It also hated everyone besides me and my brother. Chickens - dumb birds that are meant to be eaten. Ducks = beautiful, elegant and intelligent creatures

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Then you never ate French rillettes (duck meat slowly cooked in duck fat with some shallots and herbs). Best spread ever
    I wouldn't even eat duck fat either

My duck looked similar to that and got on also got on well with my cat. It was by far the smartest pet I have ever had, it even knew I was home by the way I opened the gate. It also hated everyone besides me and my brother. Chickens - dumb birds that are meant to be eaten. Ducks = beautiful, elegant and intelligent creatures

I wouldn't even eat duck fat either
    Totally agree. Chickens are angry, stupid animals who even kill and eat each other when left alone. Never seen an animal as temperamental as a chicken. No qualms about eating them, I just wish the ones I had access to tasted better and weren't polluted with unsaturated fat and environmental nastiness.
    nihil

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't like eating either without any skin. I prefer dark meats. I avoid the breast like the plague, dry, flavorless. Yuck.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast