Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm jumping on the SS bandwagon! page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

I'm jumping on the SS bandwagon!

Well not the exact routine but it will be a stark contrast to the HIT work I've been doing for the past year plus. I've made great gains with HIT and BBS style work, but as my weights have gotten quite heavy even that one time a week is leaving me trashed for a few days. So I'm gonna change things up a bit to give my muscles a little different stimulus for a couple months and give my CNS a bit of a break.

I guess I shouldn't call it SS since I won't be doing that program as prescribed. I'm going to do a fairly severe deload and work up with the higher volume and leaving a couple reps in the bank. It might take me a couple workouts to get use to not going balls to the wall on every single set. Gonna start with 1x squat, 1.5x Deadlifts, 95lb presses, 45lbs weighted dips, and 35lb weighted chins and move up every workout from there. Also going to replace the bench press with weighted dips and put some weighted pull ups in so that my workouts will be:

A.
    Squat
    Press
    Deadlifts

B.
    Squat
    Dips
    Chins
    Also likely going to only do 3x5 for at least the first few weeks to get use to the new volume. Heck before I wasn't even doing warmup sets so adding 3 sets of warmups (or more) to this will be an interesting change from this 1x/week routine I was doing:

weighted chins x 3 drop set x 3
    weighted dips x 3 drop set x 3
    compound rows x 5
    shoulder press x 5
    leg press x 7
    squat x 10 with a bottom pause
    push ups x 7

All at 5/7 cadence with no rest between sets.

^ I was also doing 2 HIIT sessions a week with that.

Looking forward to going back to this sort of program for a time. It's been over a year since I've done long rests between sets with multiple sets and whatnot. Should be a nice change. Going extra light in the beginning is just cause I got some trepidation about some old injuries and I feeling kinda toasted this month with my latest HIT workouts....

Just felt like writing this out. Comments welcome.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-23-2013 at 03:09 PM.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Make sure your diet is good. Squatting heavy three times a week is rough if you're not eating enough.

Thats the other thing I'm doing a bit different than SS. I'm gonna do a high bar squat to protect my lower back a bit more. Probably will require a bit less weight, but I can get deeper and feel safer with it given my history. This and bench press give me the most pause of the whole routine, but since I'm going so light and building up slow I'm not overly concerned.... yet.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ...but I can get deeper and feel safer with it given my history.
    Can you hold your lumbar spine in extension when going really deep in a high bar squat, i.e. is your spine in a neutral alignment when you're at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Can you hold your lumbar spine in extension when going really deep in a high bar squat, i.e. is your spine in a neutral alignment when you're at the bottom?
    Me or in general? In general the high bar requires less forward flexion so your spine in general remains more upright and you can get a bit greater ROM. The biggest concern may be at the very bottom where some may tend to tuck the pelvis. Personally I have very good ROM and starting with such a light weight I can be very controlled in making sure I don't do this. So personally yes. I'm doing a hybrid kinda looking like this at 2:00m (but with far less weight)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfJnX...ture=endscreen

For some controversy here is something else by this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GynDZgEB1U0 . Not necessarily why I chose this route. Its just what feels best for me.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-23-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Can I suggest you google search for 'Grey Skull Linear Progression' Just read it and tell me what you think. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Can I suggest you google search for 'Grey Skull Linear Progression' Just read it and tell me what you think. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Richard
    Yeah I like the AMRAP stuff, and that may indeed give me that HIT feel along with a way to set some PRs even with my currently lower weights. I also think that program is good on the squats just 2x/week. Three times a week simply seems a bit high when I start adding weight to the bar. And I'm not a flat out beginner NOR as young as I once was, so a bit lower volume in that respect may be optimal. Thanks!

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    No problem. The author also does not advocate the heavy pounding of milk/calories that some SS fans do (im not slating SS at all, I used it myself in the past to great effect - 2 times bodyweight deadlift for reps etc). With GSLP the author also recommends Frequency method pushups and chins if you can throughout the day.

You might also be interested in the 'Villainous Challenges' These were written to run in conjunction with GSLP and are more conditioning based eg 100 burpees in 5 minutes. You could consider basing your training solely around the villainous challenges if you wanted to try and complete them. Let me know as I am attempting to write up a schedule for a routine based around the challenges for someone else.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Bleh.... my L5 is not digging the squats. Get a sharp pain in the right L5 to sacroiliac in the day or two after the lift akin to how it felt after the L5 herniation years ago. I may or may not continue with them. I'm doing a weight for 5 reps that is quite light for me. I'm sure I could do 15 or more reps with it. Form is about as tight as I can keep it and I get no pain during the lift. Could be that I'm going too deep cause I get some serious glute DOMS with little to no feel in the legs. That actually begs the question of possible muscle imbalances (glutes are underdeveloped) that could be contributing to some lumbar instability in my case. Some things to ponder here I suppose. I've been doing deadlifts for several months now so I figured I would have hit my posterior chain quite sufficiently and built this up to a point where squats would be less of an issue.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    That actually begs the question of possible muscle imbalances (glutes are underdeveloped) that could be contributing to some lumbar instability in my case.
    This is the exact diagnosis my chiropractor gave me. Weak glutes. Tight, too, and imbalanced with one side 20% tighter than the other.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast