Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm jumping on the SS bandwagon! page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    This is the exact diagnosis my chiropractor gave me. Weak glutes. Tight, too, and imbalanced with one side 20% tighter than the other.
    Yeah, that sounds about right for me.... old injuries do tend to deactivate muscle groups and then you just compensate. The original herniated disc was 20 years ago so I've avoided squating heavy for quite some time. So now the question is going to be how to address it. I already got an adjustment and the pain resolved almost immediately but as to the lift....I suppose staying at a weight that does not induce pain for a while is one option. The other would be to isolate and work on the weak glute issue and then come back to squats once a safe level of improvement had been reached. Could do some work on a glute/ham machine and leg press for a while then come back to squats at a future date. So many options. I could just not squat. I've gotten along fine without it for many years. Just with how well the deadlift had been going I thought I'd give it a go. I'm gonna think on it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-26-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    The other would be to isolate and work on the weak glute issue and then come back to squats once a safe level of improvement had been reached. Could do some work on a glute/ham machine and leg press for a while then come back to squats at a future date. So many options.
    If you have access to a hack-squat machine that could also be an option to "de-load" from ordinary squats. Try various stances, like the "frog-position" with toes pointing straight sideways, narrow, and vide stances etc.! Taking a set to 6 -10 reps not too close to failure, and not going below paralell, and changing the stance making a giant set of three or even four set in one! A “de-load” like that can give a very efficient spurt in muscular development…

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    If you have access to a hack-squat machine that could also be an option to "de-load" from ordinary squats. Try various stances, like the "frog-position" with toes pointing straight sideways, narrow, and vide stances etc.! Taking a set to 6 -10 reps not too close to failure, and not going below paralell, and changing the stance making a giant set of three or even four set in one! A “de-load” like that can give a very efficient spurt in muscular development…
    What's a good reason to not have your knees track your toes (such as pointing feet straight) or to go above parallel?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    What's a good reason to not have your knees track your toes (such as pointing feet straight) or to go above parallel?
    Changing the stance will give different impact and toes straight to the side will also involve the adductors more. Doing deep hack squats is harder on the CNS and will make you out of breath faster and also take off the tension from the pure leg work. No locking out and resting on top or bottom is the order of the day. Shallow quarter squats with a decent load will work the legs better in this exercise than less load and full ROM. I have seen persons that blow up their leg muscles after only a few weeks on hack squat when cycling from ordinary squats, so don't try this at home quikky...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Changing the stance will give different impact and toes straight to the side will also involve the adductors more. Doing deep hack squats is harder on the CNS and will make you out of breath faster and also take off the tension from the pure leg work. No locking out and resting on top or bottom is the order of the day. Shallow quarter squats with a decent load will work the legs better in this exercise than less load and full ROM. I have seen persons that blow up their leg muscles after only a few weeks on hack squat when cycling from ordinary squats, so don't try this at home quikky...
    You didn't indicate whether you're suggesting that the angle of the knees follow the angle of the toes, since you just recommended a variety of stance widths and toe angles. The point is you never want to have different angles between the two, at least if your knee health is of concern.
    Last edited by quikky; 04-28-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Bleh.... my L5 is not digging the squats. Get a sharp pain in the right L5 to sacroiliac in the day or two after the lift akin to how it felt after the L5 herniation years ago. I may or may not continue with them. I'm doing a weight for 5 reps that is quite light for me. I'm sure I could do 15 or more reps with it. Form is about as tight as I can keep it and I get no pain during the lift. Could be that I'm going too deep cause I get some serious glute DOMS with little to no feel in the legs. That actually begs the question of possible muscle imbalances (glutes are underdeveloped) that could be contributing to some lumbar instability in my case. Some things to ponder here I suppose. I've been doing deadlifts for several months now so I figured I would have hit my posterior chain quite sufficiently and built this up to a point where squats would be less of an issue.
    Have you read the Starting Strength book? If you have, have you considered posting a form check on the SS forum?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Have you read the Starting Strength book? If you have, have you considered posting a form check on the SS forum?
    I second this. My power cleans were awful until I got some really good free help with them over the internet. Now they're merely poor.

I'll work on some form checks first, but I may just have some permanent damage. Hell I've earned it ... I'm a beat up 35. I've overcome most of them and will continue to train, but heavy squats may or may not be in my future. I can still do heavy dead lifts at least!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I'll work on some form checks first, but I may just have some permanent damage. Hell I've earned it ... I'm a beat up 35. I've overcome most of them and will continue to train, but heavy squats may or may not be in my future. I can still do heavy dead lifts at least!
    Lots of volume at low intensity on the squats might actually help line everything back up. Bill Starr's rehab protocol is for muscle belly injuries, but I've seen people on the interwebz claim to have used it successfully for spinal injuries with disc involvement.

Also, do you have a pull-up bar and ab straps? I've personally had some success with DIY traction (hang ab straps from pullup bar, hang self from ab straps, relax as much as possible, for as long as possible) for addressing back injuries.

Just a couple avenues you might want to research. Of course I'm in no way giving medical advice (nor am I remotely qualified to do so).

Thanks RM. Without even knowing Bill Starr thats what I was gravitating to. The only difference really is that I was only planning to do it 2-3x/week rather than daily and it was to be at the end of my normal workout rather than a complete replacement of.

I actually haven't had any issues with my back since originally working with a chiropractor 20 years ago (saved me from further surgeries) and I do continue to get adjusted. The only two times I've had this sort of pain since the original injury is when trying to reincorporate squats into my workouts. Probably is something off in my form that aggravates it.

So yeah, I'm gonna keep the volume up and the weights ridiculously low for a while (which may be more painful than the injury ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12