Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another blood work thread--and I think my TSH is high page 2

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    After reading this thread I'm getting a little concerned about my TSH. I had it checked last June and was told that it was a little high: 6.63 and that I should have it checked again in 9 months. I've always been on the cold side and I have thin eyebrows but other than that I feel fine, or do I? Maybe I'm just used to feeling this way.

The thing is I don't really trust doctors, they always seem to order costly tests and offer expensive solutions. I usually end up feeling like I just wasted my money.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    That's definitely too high! I also have the thin/nonexistent eyebrows -- barely any and outer third is nil. That is a weird symptom, huh? But it is definitely indicative of thyroid issue. Your dr. should have run a full panel on you when he saw you were out of normal range (T3/T4/ reverse of each/ antibodies to check for Hashimotos). You have to ask for this.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    My TSH has always been fine and my eyebrows are thin/faded at the outer edges. My mom and brother are the same way. Sometimes, it's just genetics.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

diene is offline Senior Member
    That is really crazy, Otzi! But it sounds like you figured things out finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    The thing is I don't really trust doctors, they always seem to order costly tests and offer expensive solutions. I usually end up feeling like I just wasted my money.
    I have the same problem with doctors. Most of the time when I go to the doctor I feel like I've just wasted money too. This is especially true if I'm looking for a diagnosis, a solution, or some kind of actual help. If I'm just looking for a prescription, then it's more likely to be a positive experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Angieh View Post
    That's definitely too high! I also have the thin/nonexistent eyebrows -- barely any and outer third is nil. That is a weird symptom, huh? But it is definitely indicative of thyroid issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    My TSH has always been fine and my eyebrows are thin/faded at the outer edges. My mom and brother are the same way. Sometimes, it's just genetics.
    So I've always had really, really thin eyebrows, but they've been like this for as long as I can remember. (Can't say that I paid a lot of attention to my eyebrows in previous years, but I think they've always been thin.) They're so thin that I can count the hairs, pretty much. And if I didn't have black hair, I bet I'd look like I had no eyebrows at all. (I already sort of look like I dont have eyebrows, and the only reason you can see them is because I have black hair and the strands are thick) Maybe I should take a picture of my eyebrow and post it--hah!

And I've always had cold hands and feet. My core temp isn't necessarily low (based on my subjective observation--I haven't actually taken my basal body temp or anything). But my hands and feet are often frigid. I've always figured that it's due to poor circulation.

I've always had the above symptoms, but my inability to lose weight only started 8-9 months ago. So maybe they're unrelated. Who knows.

And I don't usually feel abnormally fatigued, but I do need more sleep than the average person. I know lots of people who don't need more than 5-7 hours a night. Ideally, I need 9 hours a night. 7-8 is okay, but if I don't get at least 7 hours for two or more nights in a row, i start to get really tired. But I think that's normal since some people just need more sleep than others.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    That is really crazy, Otzi! But it sounds like you figured things out finally.
    My metabolic issues were 100% diet and lifestyle problems. I ate the worst SAD diet imaginable; fried everything, 4-6 beers a day, coke/diet coke instead of water, 6-10 slices of bread a day, cookies and candy with HFCS by the handful, no real exercise, especially of the lift heavy/move slowly/sprint type.

Cleaning up diet and initiating a PB diet and exercise plan cleared me up in under 6 months. Now 3 years later, docs are still amazed, I even had a doctor grilling me and taking notes last week about exactly what I eat and what kind of exercise I do.

I found a term doctors are very receptive to: "Low-carb Mediterranean". Mention "Paleo" or "Primal" and they don't have a clue, but somehow they all understand "LC Med"

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Cleaning up diet and initiating a PB diet and exercise plan cleared me up in under 6 months. Now 3 years later, docs are still amazed, I even had a doctor grilling me and taking notes last week about exactly what I eat and what kind of exercise I do.

I found a term doctors are very receptive to: "Low-carb Mediterranean". Mention "Paleo" or "Primal" and they don't have a clue, but somehow they all understand "LC Med"
    Interesting! At least your docs are willing to learn. (I guess having an impressive real-life success story in front of them helps.) I wish going primal has fixed my problems. Heh! Guess it's just harder when you're female.

grokina is offline Member
    Right now I suspect the copper IUD that I got at the end of August. The IUD is coming out next week, and I will start worrying about my thyroid if my weight doesn't decrease after that.
    Wait, why would a copper IUD have anything to do with this? It's not the Mirena hormone IUD, is it? If so, you would be onto something. I'm going to hazard that you are hypothyroid at some level and need the most comprehensive panel you can get. I felt truly awful with a TSH of between 2 and 4. Also, I'm going to a good integrative MD tomorrow with some of your same symptoms, even though I've been on 1.5 grains of Armour for four months. She's having me track my temperatures, which are often over a full degree below normal. Maybe your temperatures would provide some guidance?
    Last edited by grokina; 04-24-2013 at 10:08 AM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Interesting! I wish going primal has fixed my problems. Heh! Guess it's just harder when you're female.
    This is why I hate it when some guy fixes all his problems with diet and exercise and turns it into a 'program' to sell. People follow his advice to the letter and fail, then they make it seem like you 'were doing it wrong' or cheating, lying, whatever.

Diet and exercise are often not enough, especially for women.

I think anyone who is in bad health owes it to themselves to adopt a healthy diet, lifestyle, and exercise program first--then work on the other underlying issues of hormones, genetics, and other medical conditions. Without cleaning up the diet first, you may never get to the root cause.

Quote Originally Posted by grokina View Post
    Wait, why would a copper IUD have anything to do with this? It's not the Mirena hormone IUD, is it? If so, you would be onto something. I'm going to hazard that you are hypothyroid at some level and need the most comprehensive panel you can get. I felt truly awful with a TSH of between 2 and 4. Also, I'm going to a good integrative MD tomorrow with some of your same symptoms, even though I've been on 1.5 grains of Armour for four months. She's having me track my temperatures, which are often over a full degree below normal. Maybe your temperatures would provide some guidance?
    I am planning on charting my temperature. Hopefully that will tell me something.

My theory regarding the copper IUD is this (I copied and pasted this from a something I posted in a different thread):

I did some more research on copper IUDs, and although the exact mechanism of action isn't well understood, it appears that, aside from the spermicidal properties of copper, the IUD itself, as a foreign object, triggers an immune response and causes chronic low-grade inflammation of the endometrium. This makes the endometrium inhospitable to the zygote so that even if some sperm manage to get past the copper and fertilize the egg, the zygote would be unable to implant.

Chronic low-grade inflammation--I guess this would be a scientific explanation for self-reported weight gain by some women who have had copper IUDs inserted. And it makes sense that the degree of immune response, and hence inflammation, would vary from person to person so that only some women experience weight gain. Also, I'm thinking that it wouldn't be entirely impossible for the inflammation to also spread to the lower back--well, maybe that's a stretch. I don't know if I want chronic inflammation in my uterus even if it's asymptomatic.

Edit: I'll let everyone know if I actually lose any weight after getting the thing removed. Currently, I'm still planning on having it removed although every once in a while I change my mind and think that I shouldn't blame my weight gain on the IUD. But I don't think I'll ever be happy until I experiment with the removal. If I don't lose weight within three months of removal, I'll have another one inserted.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    This is why I hate it when some guy fixes all his problems with diet and exercise and turns it into a 'program' to sell. People follow his advice to the letter and fail, then they make it seem like you 'were doing it wrong' or cheating, lying, whatever.

Diet and exercise are often not enough, especially for women.
    I know, it's really lame. When I first saw the carbohydrate curve, I was so excited. I thought that if I just started eating less than 100 g of carbs a day, I'd lose weight effortlessly. Yeah right! Haha! If only!
    Last edited by diene; 04-24-2013 at 11:48 AM.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your TSH is high. You have mild hypothyroidism.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast