Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Training While Pregnant page

Kenzington is offline Senior Member

Red face Weight Training While Pregnant

Primal Fuel
    I am about 6 weeks pregnant and while I am absolutely determined to keep lifting during my entire pregnancy - how MUCH or to what percent of effort is what I'm worried about. I am switching from compound lifts (and lifts that have me lying on my back) to using weight machines so that my range of motion is controlled and hopefully I will reduce any chances of moving in a way that would hurt me. I have been lifting very heavy - 6-10 reps for 3 sets of each. Yesterday I went in and did that and felt a little queasy afterward so maybe I overdid it.

Sooo, if any of you have heard any guidelines on how to keep lifting safely throughout pregnancy I'd like to hear them. There seems to be conflicting info out there. My goal is to maintain a good level of fitness and also (hopefully) have an easier labor, and of course a healthy baby.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Congratulations! I came across this website recently:
    Healthy guts SQUATTING, The Key For A Smooth-Easier Pregnancy And Delivery

It appears to have tons of info on staying active while pregnant among other things.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Congratulations! I came across this website recently:
    Healthy guts SQUATTING, The Key For A Smooth-Easier Pregnancy And Delivery

It appears to have tons of info on staying active while pregnant among other things.
    Oh my goodness! I would have never known. Thank you for that nugget. All of my friends had such horror stories about their deliveries I'm so determined to be different. I'm excited to learn anything! Thank you.

yaut is offline Junior Member
    I'm wondering how it went... have you done much weight training/squating while pregnant Kenzington?
    I'm about 6-7wks pregnant and I'm joining the gym tomorrow. I'm gonna lift heavy and especially concentrate on squatting. Squats aren't my favorite, I much prefer the deadlifts but if squatting can help with childbirth I'm very up for it!

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    I am about 6 weeks pregnant and while I am absolutely determined to keep lifting during my entire pregnancy - how MUCH or to what percent of effort is what I'm worried about. I am switching from compound lifts (and lifts that have me lying on my back) to using weight machines so that my range of motion is controlled and hopefully I will reduce any chances of moving in a way that would hurt me. I have been lifting very heavy - 6-10 reps for 3 sets of each. Yesterday I went in and did that and felt a little queasy afterward so maybe I overdid it.

Sooo, if any of you have heard any guidelines on how to keep lifting safely throughout pregnancy I'd like to hear them. There seems to be conflicting info out there. My goal is to maintain a good level of fitness and also (hopefully) have an easier labor, and of course a healthy baby.
    The only thing that I can think of is when you're getting closer to your delivery date to back off on the weights for squats and deadlifts. I was taught that during that time your body will produce hormones that will cause the tendons and ligaments in your hips to become more relaxed so there is a possibility of displacement with heavier weights. Perhaps someone can tell me if this is garbage or not. I've had to relearn basically everything I was taught to become a trainer.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    The only thing that I can think of is when you're getting closer to your delivery date to back off on the weights for squats and deadlifts. I was taught that during that time your body will produce hormones that will cause the tendons and ligaments in your hips to become more relaxed so there is a possibility of displacement with heavier weights. Perhaps someone can tell me if this is garbage or not. I've had to relearn basically everything I was taught to become a trainer.
    I've read several places that you shouldn't attempt to increase weight amounts & should be decreasing your max starting in the second trimester.

Relaxin (the above-mentioned hormone) can start changing things before you even see a positive pregnancy test, as can the fact that your circulatory system is working way overtime.

Basically keep active (walking, running, swimming, playing, etc), do squats, listen to your body and common sense when it comes to weights and intensity, avoid things that hurt (no exercises laying flat on your back past a certain point, and the belly/boobs WILL get in the way of some exercises eventually).

EricandLisa is offline Member
    We stopped at a local crossfit gym a few months back to pick up dinner ( Paleo food truck stops there ) and a gal that was 8 months pregnant was killing it on the pull up bar.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    I've read several places that you shouldn't attempt to increase weight amounts & should be decreasing your max starting in the second trimester.

Relaxin (the above-mentioned hormone) can start changing things before you even see a positive pregnancy test, as can the fact that your circulatory system is working way overtime.

Basically keep active (walking, running, swimming, playing, etc), do squats, listen to your body and common sense when it comes to weights and intensity, avoid things that hurt (no exercises laying flat on your back past a certain point, and the belly/boobs WILL get in the way of some exercises eventually).
    Wow!!! They got one thing right! Thanks for the clarification.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also, feel free to look into orgasmic birth. I had one. I don't know if I got lucky or if I did something to make it happen, but I figure the more you know about it and think it's a possibility, the more likely of a possibility it will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast