Thread: Any auggestions to my nutritional plan? page

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member

Any auggestions to my nutritional plan?

Hello all. I am a busy Dad who tries to make everything as efficient as possible to cram in as much as I can into each day. I lost a ton of weight when I started eating primally and now I am at a crossroads. I typically eat extremely healthy but I wanted to get some suggestions about what I should add or delete from my nutritional profile. I am very active. I walk about 4 miles a day plus workout 4-5 times per week (bodyweight). I sit a lot at work so I am constantly on the move to combat that and also sitting for too long drives me crazy.

Typical Breakfast : Bagel with Peanut Butter or almond Butter and a banana with blueberries. Depending on where I have to go I throw in 3 scrambled eggs and 2-3 strips of bacon.
    Mid morning snack: 2 hard boiled eggs
    Lunch- Big salad with spinach, carrots, bell peppers, blackberries or blue berries, apple, tuna or chicken, almonds, broccoli or cauliflower
    Mid afternoon snack: Greek yogurt
    Dinner: Typically lean protein source like chicken, fish, pork or steak with at least 2 if not three veggies (sweet potatos, broccoli, asparagus, beets. Veggies are steamed and the meats are cooked with coconut oil.

My goal is no longer to look like Arnold but to build lean muscle and be naturally fit. Any suggestions about what I can add or delete.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I'll bite.

Why on earth are you eating a bagel with peanut butter every day and asking (on a primal forum) what to add or delete?

ditch the grains (bagel), legumes (peanut butter), and possibly the dairy (greek yogurt).

Add some nice fatty cuts of grass-fed beef, offal, cook your veggies (roast, sautee, stir-fry - sky's the limit!) in coconut oil, grass-fed butter or ghee; eat some olives and avocados... basically get more healthy fats in your life.

if you're trying to lose body fat (I'm making an assumption that you want to "lean out" based on what you said, but I know that could be incorrect), also limit the starchier/more sugary carbs like carrots, beets, sweet potatoes, and apples.

Try Intermittent Fasting, try eating 3 squares instead of 3 meals and 2 snacks.... *shrug*

hope something in there helps

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Bagel. Those things have like, what, 150 carbs in them? God knows how many calories?

Peanut butter--it's a legume. Replace it with sun butter.

If you really mustmustmust have a bagel with peanut butter, why not try an Udi's gluten free bagel with sunflower butter? That is much closer to a primal diet than any other form of bagel breakfast. Before primal I used to eat bagel and cream cheese. Now I eat bell pepper and cream cheese.

If you ask me it's the bagel, honestly. One bagel a day is enough to get a 'wheat belly' and maintain it. I'd start with just cutting the bagel.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks and I know that a bagel is not Primal but I do my best to live by the 80/20 or 90/10 rule and I need the extra carbs due to my activity level. When I first started Primal I went from about 195-200 to 165 and thats way too small for me. I workout a lot due to my stress level and how much my job requires me to sit.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford