Thread: How often should I lift? page 3

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Do you even lift?

???

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Yeah, blah, blah,... I am sure that you started with benchpress and made progress on that before you managed to do your first pushup RichMahogany...
    I'm a lot stronger and can do a lot more pushups now that I can bench press 225 than when I could bench press 145. If you can think of some weighted backpack design to load up the pushup (increase the intensity), and become stronger, you'll find that you can do more pushups because each pushup represents a much smaller percentage of your capacity. Are you almost out of straw?

AylaFecero is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    If you are building strength, then yes, heavy weights for low reps is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Ah, the novice effect. Riding a bicycle will make your pushup maxes go up if you're a completely detrained individual. That doesn't mean that bicycling is the most efficient way to increase your pushup capability. The most efficient way to induce strength endurance is to provide a stimulus for the adaptation of strength, and work on strength endurance afterwards, since the former is hard to get and persistent, the latter easily achieved and fleeting.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesteak View Post
    Improve your strength from one session to another = Training

Do the same thing every time to get some sweat going and feel like you're doing something = Working Out

You can do as many push ups as you want, you're still only working out.

Keep a log of your progress and push yourself to increase the resistance every time and suddenly you're training.

Training will get you much faster to your ideal body than working out will.

Simple physics.

^^Those. You HAVE to allow your muscles rest in order to grow. If you are truly testing your limits, you are actually tearing your muscles, and this is good. When they are allowed to repair themselves, they grow. If you keep tearing away at them, they will actually weaken over time.

Challenge yourself; do as many strict pushups as you can, rest for a few minutes, do it again. Lather, rinse, repeat. Do this 2 or 3 times a week, at least two days apart. This is basic muscle science.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    Do you even lift?
    lol

diene is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the replies. I understand that there are other lifts/exercises that build upper body strength and that many of those things are better than just doing pushups. I'm not saying that I'm only doing pushups. It's just that i wanted something that I could do randomly throughout the day to help accelerate my strength gains (if such a thing is possible), and pushups are the only things I can think of. (Can't really bench press at work, for example, but can sneak in a few incline pushups against the desk or counter.) My original concern was whether doing pushups randomly everyday will actually impede progress because I'm not allowing the muscles to rest. Now I see that people disagree on this and that just doing a couple pushups randomly probably won't be detrimental.

Edit: I do bench press at CF. It's actually one of my favorite upper body lifts. My 1RM is currently 70 lbs--pretty pathetic, but it'll probably improve. (That's the nice thing about starting at the bottom--you have nowhere to go but up--unless you get injured, haha!)
    Last edited by diene; 04-29-2013 at 08:41 AM.

AylaFecero is offline Junior Member
    People may disagree, competitive lifters, trainers, fitness gurus, and models would agree it is detrimental.

KT79 is offline Member
    Pushups aren't the only thing you can do this way - I do tricep dips on the edge of my desk, as well as calf raises, squats and pushups at random times throughout the day. I also tighten my abs and butt for 20-30 seconds at a time, 10-20 times in a row whenever I happen to think about it - great way to get some use out of time spent in boring meetings.

I'm not expecting to gain enormous strength or get huge muscles this way, but I've definitely gotten stronger and more toned doing this, along with a lot of walking and time on the elliptical. I can do significantly more pushups and dips at this point than I could just a month or two ago, and I can hold a plank for more than a minute, when 30 seconds used to be a struggle.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KT79 View Post
    I also tighten my abs and butt for 20-30 seconds at a time, 10-20 times in a row whenever I happen to think about it - great way to get some use out of time spent in boring meetings.
    Heh, excellent idea.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123