Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often should I lift? page 2

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Over the years I've experimented with all types of training from triathlon to crossfit. Its my personal experience that weight training is by far the fastest way to change the look of your body. Combine weight training with the Paleo/Primal diet and you have the best possible combination. What works best for me is training body parts twice a week along with two interval workouts at the track. Here is my current workout, I'm usually working out in the gym for about 45 minutes per session, take a 1 minute rest between sets, and use supersets to intensify the workout. Keep in mind this is not a beginner routine but it can be modified to any level of strength and conditioning:

Mondays and Thursdays - Chest and Back (Flat and Incline BB Bench Press, Pullups, Seated Pully Row, Supine DB Laterals, One Arm DB Row, Dips and DB Stiff Arm Pullovers)

Tuesday and Fridays - Morning - Shoulders and Arms (Seated DB Press, DB Lateral Raises, Bent over DB Laterals, DB Curls, Tricep Pressdowns, Scott Curls, Tricep Pushbacks) - Afternoon - Intervals at the track 10 X100 meter sprints

Wednesdays and Saturdays - Legs (Squats, Hack Squats, Thigh Extensions, Leg Curls, Calf Raises)

Sunday - Rest Day
    Last edited by canuck416; 04-26-2013 at 06:58 AM.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I think I'm going to try doing super slow pushups and otherwise just do pushups whenever I remember to. i do do other kinds of upper body workouts as well (at Crossfit). I just wanted to find something that I can do on top of my regular workouts to sort of speed things along.

Leida--I'm definitely going to check out the 4-Hour Body. I strongly favor my right side as well, and it's become really noticeable and concerning lately. In fact, it's gotten so bad that sometimes only my right arm would be sore. That just means that my right side would keep getting stronger and my left side relatively weaker. This obviously can't go on.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I think when you are at a point where doing any pushups or just a few is really hard that you can make a lot of progress just doing pushups whenever you can, against a desk or normal or whatever you can do, and working on them specifically. Sure the weight lifting and other stuff is a huge help, but you can also get the ball rolling just working specifically on pushups.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Push-ups variations are excellent for overall strength development and it's usually not necessary to start with bench press before outgrowing the potential in that exercise...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Push-ups variations are excellent for overall strength development and it's usually not necessary to start with bench press before outgrowing the potential in that exercise...
    Ah, the novice effect. Riding a bicycle will make your pushup maxes go up if you're a completely detrained individual. That doesn't mean that bicycling is the most efficient way to increase your pushup capability. The most efficient way to induce strength endurance is to provide a stimulus for the adaptation of strength, and work on strength endurance afterwards, since the former is hard to get and persistent, the latter easily achieved and fleeting.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, blah, blah,... I am sure that you started with benchpress and made progress on that before you managed to do your first pushup RichMahogany...

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    I thought just doing bench and strict presses would get my upper body into the shape I was looking for. Pushups are nice but they get boring fast. I've incorporated frog stands, tuck planches, hand stand holds (against the wall and free standing), skin the cat, tuck front levers etc. Not only are these kind of things fun, but they have progressed my core, shoulders, chest, and back at a much more aggressive rate than just lifting.

Some of these movements are intimidating at first, but once you get a little experience in them they become more "comfortable"...

As for your thread title, eat plenty, and lift every day except Wednesday and Sunday.

ilovesteak is offline Senior Member
    Improve your strength from one session to another = Training

Do the same thing every time to get some sweat going and feel like you're doing something = Working Out

You can do as many push ups as you want, you're still only working out.

Keep a log of your progress and push yourself to increase the resistance every time and suddenly you're training.

Training will get you much faster to your ideal body than working out will.

Simple physics.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Do you even lift?

zoeamy is offline Member
    Hi Serenity,

I don't have much experience with weight lifting, but I do have experience with push ups after 5 years in the army.

I could always pass the minimum push ups, but one time our trainer set a challenge and asked every one to log their daily pushups for a minimum of 100, they could be done in sets or one at a time.

After a week (!) EVERYONE's pushups had increased some quite dramatically.

End of the day...If you want to do pushups, do pushups.

Oh and when they get boring, you can do: one legged, clap, diamond, wide arm, close arm, feet on a step, feet on a ball etc etc.

Hope this helps. Let us all know how you go with your progress!
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast