Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First IF page

dhoyt86 is offline Junior Member

First IF

Shop Now
    Though there would probably be a better thread to put this on, I decided to make a new one since I would venture to guess there a lot of people that were in my boat - the "I don't want to skip a meal" mentality.

I have been eating mostly Primal for about 6 weeks now, and have had great results. Energy levels up, fat loss, the works. I had yet to bring myself to trying IF though, mainly because I still believed that garbage about starvation mode.

Today (mainly because I had a pretty un-Primal weekend, and needed to do something about it), I decided to give it a shot. Skipped breakfast, which is a big deal for me. Went home to let the dogs out at "lunch," and still didn't eat. Here I am back at the desk at 1:30, and I am so alert, energetic, and surprisingly not hungry. I am thinking there must be something to this.

Thanks everyone for your input. Pretty sure I am going to make this a pretty steady part of my routine. If for no other reason, when you only eat once a day, it's pretty easy to be Primal (and lose fat!).

Have a great week.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Hey, congrats! =] Glad to hear it's working out so well for you.

Today was sorta my first, too. I had been eating only breakfast and dinner, but decided to switch it up and start eating just lunch and dinner (to give my body a longer rest from digestion/insulin/whatnot each day). I'm one of those rare people who wakes up HUNGRY so I was dreading it, but after being awake for about an hour, the hunger went away. So today was my first weekday skipping breakfast in my entire life, I think. =P I was hungry again around noon - just stomach-growling-constantly-thinking-about-food hungry, not weak-and-dizzy hungry like I would have been before PB. I ate a nice filling lunch at 1:15.

Best of luck with future IFs!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Good luck. I myself am 20 hours into a 24 hour IF.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations. Normally, I'd tell you that it does get easier but you seem to be doing great with it right off the bat. That's awesome.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    I've been having really great luck with only eating two meals a day - lunch and dinner. My exercise falls between them. It is sort of modeled after the www.leangains.com mentality of 16 hour fast every day with an 8 hour eating window. It has really been working well for me - building muscle and losing fat very noticeably. I am motivated to cook and preparing my meals as well as enjoy them more. when it is time to eat I am satisfied and do not have the urge to over eat or stuff myself at the same time meals are fun and something I look forward to and enjoy more than before when it seemed like more of a hassle to eat.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    i'm a veteran to fasting but lately i've been taking a sort of lean gains approach as well. Working very well and the lower abs and obliques are coming out to play since i've switched it up.
    I grok, therefore I am.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    I've been having really great luck with only eating two meals a day - lunch and dinner. My exercise falls between them. It is sort of modeled after the www.leangains.com mentality of 16 hour fast every day with an 8 hour eating window.
    I'm so glad you posted this - I could not remember which plan that was and it was driving me nuts. =D When I was describing my eating above I wanted to say which program it resembled but just couldn't remember the name. I started googling the names of various IF-based programs but hadn't remembered that one yet (and my darn job distracted me lol). So thank you for saving my sanity.

Before my stint with Atkins and long before I found PB, I used to do detox and fasting, and even though I did it often, it was awful and I never got used to it. I would always be dead tired, grumpy, and have killer headaches. Since I've been primal (and only for a week now) one day last week I was so busy at work, I just didn't get a chance to eat. All I'd had all day was a small package of pork rinds - not ideal, but certainly not the candy bar that I would usually get. Anyway, that evening is when I noticed that going all day without food I didn't have the jitters, a headache, and it hadn't affected my energy or mood at all. I'm really surprised at how FAST I've noticed huge (to me) differences after beginning the primal lifestyle. It's amazing.

I'm going to look into the lean gains thing. Thanks for posting!

Update: looked at the leangains site. amazing transformations, but just not my "cup of tea". Not what I'm looking for and not really what I find attractive (for ME).
    Last edited by aprilleigh1974; 05-10-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: updated

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    ^ I've been more or less doing the 16/8 hours eating window thing of lean gains ... so far I'm quite happy with it. I had been planning to try alternate day fasting, but I find it easier to skip breakfast (well, maybe I'll have a small serving of cream in my morning coffee as a snack) and then eating between 13:00 and 21:00. Sometimes I'll also break the routine by having a big breakfast and then fast from afternoon to noon the next day.

PrimalEagle is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    This is fascinating. I would really like to get into this but unsure how it would work with my exercise regimin.

I have tried a few 17 hour IFs where I skip dinner. This works out well on the two nights a week where I work out late (7-8:00 pm kickboxing on Tuesdays and 6:00-9:00 pm vball on Thursdays). On the remaining week days (M, W, F) I typically have kickboxing at least one if not two nights from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Can I move my eating window depending on the day? For example, on M/T/W/Th can my eating window be from 8:00 am through 4:00 pm (time to digest before kickboxing) and then the remaining three days be from 12:00 noon through 8:00 pm so I can enjoy some dinners with my fiance?

Any thoughts??
    "If you won't be better tomorrow than you are today, what do you need tomorrow for?"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast