Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saw a guy punch another guy in the face page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Saw a guy punch another guy in the face

Last night I saw a guy punch another guy in the face. He deserved it, but I realized as I saw it happen that I have never actually seen someone do this in real life. Seen it a million times on TV or in the movies, of course, but it's really strange to see this in real life. (Being female, it is easier to not have seen adults punch each other than if I were male of course.)

I don't know why exactly I am mentioning this, but I guess it is because it's really weird how one thing in a fantasy portrayal is sort of meaningless but in real life it's quite shocking. I suppose there is something primal about this but I'm not sure what it is.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think they fight because comparing penis size in public isn't socially acceptable.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    What did it sound like? The sound effect that accompanies most facepunches in films and tv are off the charts to me but possibly closer to reality than I think.....

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    My son witnessed a fight at school last week by 2 "special aid kids" (his phrase). He was really shaken up. I think real life is very different. Apparently, one of the kids was much larger than the other, so it was even more upsetting to him. At 12 my child still thinks fights are going to be fair.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

prufock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    What did it sound like? The sound effect that accompanies most facepunches in films and tv are off the charts to me but possibly closer to reality than I think.....
    Watch an MMA fight. A real punch sounds much deeper and less crunchy because of how much hollow space is in a head. It's also less pronounced - if you aren't close, you aren't likely to hear much of anything. SFX are more like slaps with mixed with a bit of bone.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    I got beat up fairly often as a kid. The best way I've described head blows is kind of a dull COMP sound. I tend to "hear" it strongest in that hollow bit behind the curve of my jaw, if that makes sense.

M.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    as long as you aren't in the roll-around path, watching guys punch each other is good times
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I don't remember hearing a sound.

I was inside a tattoo shop getting a tattoo when the apprentice starts yelling at this drunk guy, then storms out the door to the sidewalk with his fist out and just hits the guy. I was really shocked. I've never seen someone just walk up to another person and hit him like that.

The drunk guy falls to the sidewalk and can't get up. The apprentice walks back in to lock the doors and the drunk guy says "Hey, no need to lock the doors, that was a good hit. I'll leave when I can get up." Then he leaves and comes back a few minutes later with a rod and walks into the shop threatening to break the windows. More punching which I did not see or hear ensues. The apprentice is now all bruised up on his knuckles and the other guys give him a lecture that he doesn't throw a fist properly. The apprentice apologizes profusely to me, a middle-aged woman, that he's ashamed of himself and that his mother certainly wouldn't have approved of his behavior. I thought the whole thing was pretty funny except the part with the rod and threatening to break the windows. I guess the cops never come to the tattoo shop when they call.

Wild night in downtown Santa Barbara with the rich drunk lowlifes that wander lower State Street in the bar zone.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I think they fight because comparing penis size in public isn't socially acceptable.
    it isn't? <zzziiiipp>

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I don't know why exactly I am mentioning this, but I guess it is because it's really weird how one thing in a fantasy portrayal is sort of meaningless but in real life it's quite shocking. I suppose there is something primal about this but I'm not sure what it is.
    Yes, it's uncertain, isn't it? I don't know how often people living in our "first" (primal) way would use their fists. Perhaps more likely you'd either laugh at an insult or have immediate recourse to a deadly weapon.

I rather think fists might be more likely used on wives (and perhaps children) by the short tempered, and if there were not strong moral disapprobation for that (as there might be in some societies). If it came to outright conflict with another man perhaps you'd aim for a more serious confrontation.

In fact, perhaps you'd be pretty reluctant to strike a blow with your hand and knock someone down, thereby humiliating him, in a society where everyone carries weapons. You might find yourself the recipient of a hunting accident -- a "misaimed" missile weapon -- on the next hunt.

There are some interesting descriptions of conflict among the Eskimo in Kabloona:

Amazon.com: Kabloona: Gontran de Poncins, Lewis Galantiere: Books

Apparently, it was often precipitated by women for erotic motives -- persuading a lover to kill a husband or something of the sort. The men seemed usually to have needed quite a lot of persuading, since (according to de Poncins) the erotic touched them less, and they were quite happy so long as they had some sexual access to one (or more) women. However, paradoxically, there were cases of men killing other men for virtually no reason at all. He relates a story of a man's fur overgarment rising up and exposing his belly. Another man took one look at it, and his "hunting instincts" appeared to take over: he just saw it as a tempting target and slid a spear into it.

But it would be foolish to assume that all societies with the same technology -- "means of production" in the Marxian cant phrase -- are necessarily the same. People somewhere else might have been quite different.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast